Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I feel that my Wolf is getting outgunned, but what do I switch it for?  (Read 5916 times)

SiraoGomes

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi. I'm still in the early game (I have a few hundred thousand creds, an eagle an a couple of falcons and feel decently strong vs most bounty targets I feel like doing)

The problem is, while my fleet is decent, I still pilot my starting Wolf. It's so snippy and agile, with a get out of jail free card.

I've tried piloting bigger ships, but, while they pack a punch, they are so... immovable.

What should I look for if I still want to impact the battle, but not a fond of huge and slow ships?

Killjoymcpuppykicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: I feel that my Wolf is getting outgunned, but what do I switch it for?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:40:47 AM »

I suppose a Medusa is next up. Auroras, and safety overridden Eagles are a step up from that.

Or you might be a harbinger kinda guy.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 01:43:11 AM »

Yea Wolf is definitely a starter ship, no point in piloting it later on. I'd say the Tempest is your best bet if you're looking for something similar, it's just a straight upgrade honestly. Then there are phase ships which really pack a punch but they're not a durable as other ships (and kinda expensive to maintain), so you might like the Afflictor. And even tho Medusa and Shrike are destroyers, they are fairly maneuverable. You can kinda look at them as upsized Wolfs.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:45:21 AM »

Medusa is rare enough that your chances of finding one at right stage of game are quite low. Falcon(P) is a good player ship easily available at black and sometimes even open markets in d-mod-clear state.

Or you could go for finesse with chain deployed Afflictors, which remain viable even in highest level capital fights.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:23:17 AM »

How much "impact" we are talking here? Wolf w. AM Blasters and Reapers is pretty impactfull in my eyes.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:09:35 AM »

Wolf w. AM Blasters and Reapers is pretty impactfull in my eyes.
An AM blaster wolf is a poor substitute for an afflictor. The afflictor has more speed, burst damage and pretty good escape potential. But that price tag, oof. That's a hammerhead on the front.

The +150 permanent armor talent is practically a requirement for getting in melee range with any ship. The extra rating does wonders against point defense weapons (usually low damage kinetics/energy) so you can survive far more hits.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:11:16 AM by bobucles »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 06:39:37 AM »

Wolf w. AM Blasters and Reapers is pretty impactfull in my eyes.
An AM blaster wolf is a poor substitute for an afflictor. The afflictor has more speed, burst damage and pretty good escape potential. But that price tag, oof. That's a hammerhead on the front.

The +150 permanent armor talent is practically a requirement for getting in melee range with any ship. The extra rating does wonders against point defense weapons (usually low damage kinetics/energy) so you can survive far more hits.

Sure its a substitute. But OP clearly have feelings for the Wolf so I tried to explore it further.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09:14 AM »

Sure its a substitute. But OP clearly have feelings for the Wolf so I tried to explore it further.
It looked more like he enjoyed going fast. The eagle is pretty agile for a cruiser, but phase ships have the need for speed thanks to their time acceleration.

Afflictors can dramatically alter a battle thanks to their special ability (+50% incoming damage) and they can get into enemy backsides to crit them hard with antimatter blasters and torpedoes. The PPT is absolutely awful though, so you have to force a few kills and retreat or switch to another one. It's fragile, quick, and deadly.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »

There's another option for getting outgunned, except on the other side of the track. Check out the monitor, which you can find as an uncommon
Spoiler
Hegemony (orange faction)
[close]
ship.

Load them up for maximum defense. Expanded shields, hardened shields, maxed flux vents and extra hull vents. Defense systems 3 is an absolute MUST, Loadout design 3 and power grid modulation 1 also help a ton. I do not know if helmsmanship 3 speed boost works but it could be very useful.

Flying the Monitor is an absolute meme. Press F at the start of battle. Done. You are now a bowling ball. Ram into enemy ships, soak up missiles and make yourself a complete menace. If at any point you drop shields, vent or overload, you die. Everything else is up to your fleet.

Xonok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 05:26:34 AM »

Wolf can also become a decent support ship if you put beams on it. It's not going to take anything down fast, but it can apply pressure quite safely.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:37:32 AM »

If you won't accept anything significantly slower than a wolf, then your only options are Tempest, Shrike, Medusa and Aurora. If you're willing to compromise, you could also count some safety overriden ships (like Hammerhead or Eagle) or Odyssey or Conquest (which are fast... for capital ships).

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:50 AM »

I'm willing to put 2 or 3 centurions to protect my carrier group. But that is not suit you, a laser or a hammerhead would be nice for their ammofeed system!    brawler is a balance of firepower and armor, do it try!

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »

Ive fallen in love with a hammerhead that is safety overridden.  Falcons are fun.  But dude the Sunder with plasma cannon is scary as you can boost it with the Sunder special.  The Sunder is like a Wolf a focused glass cannon but yikes it can waist things.  and fast enough to flank. 

The Apogee has a special place.  as it has a 360 shield as a base.  It helps.  you can be a shield brick and soak up damage wile the glass cannons kill stuff.   

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »

I've played like that since a Wolf is pretty fun to play with. Unfortunately, if a Falcon and its ship system feels too slow to have fun, then most ships will be too slow for your taste. Other than all the other suggestions, you can try flying an Omen. No matter how you arm it, it is fast and it will be able to meaningfully support other ships by killing fighters and missiles.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »

There is Hyperion too. It has the fastest play-style with constant teleporting around the battlefield (Afflictor is close objectively, but slower subjectively due to time dilation).
Not as efficient as Afflictors though.
Pages: [1] 2