Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.7)  (Read 129960 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (in progress)
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »

You were able to copy it to the mods/ folder, though? Just open up two Finder windows, one in the mods/ folder, one in Starfarer.app/ (Starfarer application bundle -> right click -> "explore package contents"), then drag and drop from one to the other.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »

This mod is awesome!  :D  Keep it up!
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »

To implement marine boarding:

this will depend on if it is possible to change ship ownership in the middle of battle or generate new ships to deploy (and then just create a new ship with same stats as old one)

if this is so have a weapon (e.g. the marine shock-pod launcher) that upon impact of the hull (when it does hull damage) that will have a percent chance of changing the ship ownership based on a multiplier of crew left in the opposing ship (or just some percent chance, as hitting the hull will depend already on how strong the opposing ship is.)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

That's not what marine boarding did. It was more like a slow poison in the other persons ship. That you could pick up and reuse.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »

That's not what marine boarding did. It was more like a slow poison in the other persons ship. That you could pick up and reuse.

well thats what I get for assuming.

Anyway, I was read somewhere that fighters used to launch directly from carriers. This got me thinking that if you could re-implement that onto the ship and launch a marines as a fighter that would damage the enemy ship (And you could use refit repair mechanism to recall).

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:59 PM »

I would love to see these roaming around in the current campaign build.

I thought these were well made and spent a number of missions paying with them. Interested to see how they would fair against other factions.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »

If the SCII ships surface in a campaign, it would realistically have to be a stand-alone campaign, because I made no attempt to balance the weapons or stats with existing SF content. I used balance numbers as I could find them from the original SCII player guides still floating around on the interwebs. Unfortunately, not all of the statistics were measured objectively and recorded, they were mostly comparisons to other ships, so I've in some places established my own baselines and tweaked until it felt right.

In other news, I have put some effort into finishing the Mmrnmhrm X-form, and it's almost done. Still no transformation function, but I will say that the Y-mode is incredibly fun to fly ;D

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »

Mmrnmhrm X-Form added. If there's ever a way to allow a ship to transform mid-battle, I will enhance the ship to do this.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »

Mmrnmhrm X-Form added. If there's ever a way to allow a ship to transform mid-battle, I will enhance the ship to do this.

can you make a weapon that has parts of the ship on it? eg you select weapon group 4, transformation,...

(maybe just for aesthetics)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »

If it was a graphical-only thing, that might work, but it also needs to alter the ship stats significantly, and grant/block access to other weapons.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »

If it was a graphical-only thing, that might work, but it also needs to alter the ship stats significantly, and grant/block access to other weapons.

It might be annoying to the player, but you should be able to disable autofire for weapons (this would only work for missions though) and you would have to target manually. For altering speed you could make a weapon that does no damage but is always firing at the enemy, so as to keep you from getting the speed boost until you switch weapons groups.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (0.6.1)
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »

Added sprite for the Spathi ship. I think it came out looking completely ridiculous, like if clowns went into space - which is exactly spot-on for the Spathi. Their ship always made me think of ridiculous space clowns in the classic games, so I think the spirit of the ship is sufficiently captured.

I have a lot of fun making sprites for this mod, so I might do a couple more sprites before I actually put the ships in.

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »

Beautiful work Trylobot.

I do protest though regarding inclusion into the sandbox. Perhaps a few small incursions here and there would be most awesomeful. If rarity is included, balance be damned.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

I do protest though regarding inclusion into the sandbox.

I've given this some thought and I don't really think it's necessary. You see, anyone who's played Star Control knows the real fun is in the Melee. Ship vs. ship single combat is the truest form of Star Control. So really, I don't think sandbox inclusion will happen. I think the time would be better spent making sprites (as there are still a ton left to do)

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »

Alright, I surrender. I won't bug you about it anymore.

Great mod though, keep up the good work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8