Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 223

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1103513 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.2.1)
« Reply #2400 on: April 01, 2023, 10:42:05 AM »

I must say that I find it a little immersion breaking that you need an external water source to improve farming on jungle worlds, considering the description of jungle worlds twice refers to their natural abundance of water.  I suppose this was a balance decision.

Yeah, you're right about the lore issues with requiring water on jungle worlds. It's about balance and also simplicity - I want to have only three "levels" of water (large amount, moderate, none) and have all planet types within the same water "level" behave identically.

you would need to add blacklists to planets that already have the city lights though in order to not have conflicts with them

Yup. Implementing this feature will require a good amount of work and testing so I'll probably save it for last if I do end up adding it.

Zordiark Darkeater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: April 01, 2023, 01:11:36 PM »

So my issue with this mod is that Terraforming is outright useless.

I have this mod for a year now and i NEVER was able to use this feature the games Sector generator makes it sure that the planets allways have at least ONE planetary effect/modifier that cannot be modified/removed to allow for terraforming. every single time. there is ALLWAYS atleast 1 red i cant do anything about. the terraforming is asking for waaay to much to allow for terraforming.

Also improving resources is never allowed. even if the planets is sitting with a bunch of Poor resources.

I'm not sure what you're having a problem with here - terraforming is somewhat expensive and time consuming, but perfectly possible. Obviously you can't terraform molten worlds or gas giants, but pretty much any barren planet can be terraformed. You just need to normalize the atmosphere, have a stellar array (Stellar Shade for hot worlds, Stellar Mirror for cold ones) built, make sure there's some water available, then terraform away.

But let's go over the specific process with an example. Let's say you've decided to do like I always do in 90% of my runs and colonize Penelope's Star. You start by colonizing Ithaca, which you want to terraform into a Terran world - easily done. Ithaca always starts as Habitable, so all you need to do is build an Atmospherics Processor, Stellar Shade, and then have a colony with either Ismara's Sling (Ismara, obviously, is an excellent choice for this) or a station colony (astropolis, mining station, etc.) with Asteroid Processing. Then you just start the terraforming process and wait awhile. Once you're done you can either tear down the atmospherics processor to avoid the upkeep cost, or first prioritize maxing out relevant resource deposits and adding the Mild modifier.

But let's do a more complicated planet in the same system: Ogygia. I've never seen Ogygia spawn with an atmosphere, so first you'll need an Atmospherics Processor and have it do the project to normalize the planet's atmosphere. Then you'll need a Stellar Mirror to begin the terraforming process. You'll also need water, but if you've still got the Ismara's Sling/Asteroid Processor you used earlier then that's no problem. Terraform away and then bam, done.

As for resource improvements, certain planets have certain caps on resources. First off, you can never improve Ore or Rare Ore resources, only Food, Organics and Volatiles. For Food improvements the world needs to be Habitable and you need a water supply from an Ismara's Sling or Asteroid Processor. For Organics and Volatiles the world needs to be of a certain type, usually Terran, Jungle, Desert etc. and then you can improve the resources up to a certain level depending on the planet.

im not talking about premade/core planets. but actually random generated ones. they always missing something and makes terraforming impossible. or its just outright not a terraformable planet lol
The only few ones i ever was able to terraform are useless planets that i would not touch ever to begin with...

I wonder... could unknown skies cause this ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 01:13:19 PM by Zordiark Darkeater »

Zebulon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: April 02, 2023, 12:35:14 PM »

Is it possible to dissable all the terraforming stuff except for the stellar array and doomed city ? I like the idea of both but i don't want to use the rest of the terraforming. I could just choose to not use it but if there is an option to dissable terraforming without those two could be good

Zordiark Darkeater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: April 02, 2023, 04:40:22 PM »

Is it possible to dissable all the terraforming stuff except for the stellar array and doomed city ? I like the idea of both but i don't want to use the rest of the terraforming. I could just choose to not use it but if there is an option to dissable terraforming without those two could be good

Yes you can

Go into your mod folder

Starsector/mods/Terraforming and Station Construction/data/config/settings

Open the settings file with Notepad.

You can Turn on/off everything one by one.
There are even extra buildings that are cool and are turned off by default ( they work great )

bigmealsushi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: April 03, 2023, 02:09:46 AM »

Is anyone running to the issue of game crash when attempting to abandone station btw? ( This was a siphon station i created )

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: April 03, 2023, 06:02:52 AM »

Not purely using the settings file. If you want this, you'll have to edit rules.csv to remove the colony menu option for terraforming projects.

Is anyone running to the issue of game crash when attempting to abandone station btw? ( This was a siphon station i created )

Please post the stack trace of the crash so we can see what's causing it.

Texas Redhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: April 03, 2023, 07:17:37 AM »

Trying to abandon a colony always causes a crash for me, regardless of whether it's a station or not. Not sure that's a TASC issue.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: April 04, 2023, 07:32:48 AM »

Just had an idea while reading through the comments, about Penelope's Star specifically, have you thought about adding a way to change a Star's color?

I usually avoid settling in Penelope's Star because I don't like the idea of my worlds having a Red sky over them, despite being an excellent terraforming spot, being able to change a stars color would be pretty cool, even for purely cosmetic purposes. Maybe there could even be a planet modifier that has some effects based on the stars color and the effect it has on the population?, providing a mechanics reason to change the stars color if possible. Just an idea.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: April 04, 2023, 07:36:37 AM »

Just had an idea while reading through the comments, about Penelope's Star specifically, have you thought about adding a way to change a Star's color?

I usually avoid settling in Penelope's Star because I don't like the idea of my worlds having a Red sky over them, despite being an excellent terraforming spot, being able to change a stars color would be pretty cool, even for purely cosmetic purposes. Maybe there could even be a planet modifier that has some effects based on the stars color and the effect it has on the population?, providing a mechanics reason to change the stars color if possible. Just an idea.

You can probably change the color of the star by modifying the vanilla/core files. Either way, I don't think many players would use a feature like this, and it isn't lore compatible.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: April 04, 2023, 08:15:33 AM »

I usually avoid settling in Penelope's Star because I don't like the idea of my worlds having a Red sky over them

FWIW, the sky in that system would still be a shade of blue because the color of the sky is a result of Raleigh scattering.  Shorter waves scatter more in the atmosphere, and Red stars still emit radiation in the blue visible spectrum.  The Hubble Telescope studies them in the ultraviolet frequency.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: April 04, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »

I usually avoid settling in Penelope's Star because I don't like the idea of my worlds having a Red sky over them

FWIW, the sky in that system would still be a shade of blue because the color of the sky is a result of Raleigh scattering.  Shorter waves scatter more in the atmosphere, and Red stars still emit radiation in the blue visible spectrum.  The Hubble Telescope studies them in the ultraviolet frequency.
Yeah, it might mean a *darker* sky, but never a red one. Like, our sun is white, not blue, so I don't know where he was even coming from.

Texas Redhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: April 04, 2023, 10:07:39 AM »

im not talking about premade/core planets. but actually random generated ones. they always missing something and makes terraforming impossible. or its just outright not a terraformable planet lol
The only few ones i ever was able to terraform are useless planets that i would not touch ever to begin with...

I wonder... could unknown skies cause this ?

Having just noticed this post, I do believe Unknown Skies is probably the reason you're having a problem. As far as I'm aware TASC doesn't have an Unknown Skies patch yet.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: April 04, 2023, 12:27:11 PM »

Is that so? Wasn't aware of that (or just forgot about it). Might settle in Penelope's Star next run then. Thanks for explaining (reminding me? I really don't remember) that
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:46:08 PM by JenkoRun »

Pie Guy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: April 06, 2023, 04:56:53 PM »

Is there a setting or config file I can change somewhere to make Tundras count as water-rich worlds (can build Ismara's sling, can terraform to water world etc.)?

Edix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: April 06, 2023, 05:15:08 PM »

Is there a setting or config file I can change somewhere to make Tundras count as water-rich worlds (can build Ismara's sling, can terraform to water world etc.)?

I MIGHT be mis-remembering, but isn't a tundra a cold desert?
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 223