Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071713 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.2.1)
« Reply #2385 on: March 30, 2023, 06:34:05 AM »

Quick question since I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere besides the patch notes, but what does the galatian particle accelerator on acryra actually do?

Nothing except consume Domain-era artifacts. It exists to create an export market so the player can generate revenue from mining them.

Hey boggled, would be nice if you added city lights to every planet that has be colonized based on the population size. Atm almost every planet looks devoid of human activity appart from the orbital satellites so it would be nice if you added this to your mod. Ideally it would have to be dynamic where it replaces the texture with more lights as planets grow, and removes lights when planets go deciv

Is it only terraformed planets that lack city lights, or do "vanilla" ones the player colonizes outside the core world also lack them?

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: March 30, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »

Afaik, all colonies lack them, and only select vanilla ones/modded ones have them

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: March 30, 2023, 10:08:44 AM »

Afaik, all colonies lack them, and only select vanilla ones/modded ones have them

Hmm. This seems like something that should be left to vanilla since TASC doesn't add custom planet types. I'll consider adding it anyway though since it would be a cool feature.

Edix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: March 30, 2023, 10:22:00 AM »

I would LOVE the ability to build my own watchtowers and relevant stations, or perhaps lesser makeshift versions.
Besides a Defense station, maybe it could cost something like requiring an Alpha AI for the core station to work + gammas for the watchtowers as it already takes a building slot on the colony it's attached to. Though personally I would have a 1 per system limit.

My Concern is the balance of the idea. Your planets could potentially shrug off anything anyone could ever muster. For example, I YOLO'd Chicomoztoc and won [barely] and after some suppression and development I have managed to achieve 220k ground defense. So far every attack against it after the fact has failed on the ground. Brings Cadia from WH40K to mind...

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: March 30, 2023, 10:58:05 AM »

I would LOVE the ability to build my own watchtowers and relevant stations, or perhaps lesser makeshift versions.
Besides a Defense station, maybe it could cost something like requiring an Alpha AI for the core station to work + gammas for the watchtowers as it already takes a building slot on the colony it's attached to. Though personally I would have a 1 per system limit.

My Concern is the balance of the idea. Your planets could potentially shrug off anything anyone could ever muster. For example, I YOLO'd Chicomoztoc and won [barely] and after some suppression and development I have managed to achieve 220k ground defense. So far every attack against it after the fact has failed on the ground. Brings Cadia from WH40K to mind...

Watchtowers? I think that's from a different mod, not TASC.

Edix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: March 30, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »

Watchtowers? I think that's from a different mod, not TASC.

I just checked.... Exiled space. oops.

Zordiark Darkeater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: March 31, 2023, 01:31:31 PM »

So my issue with this mod is that Terraforming is outright useless.

I have this mod for a year now and i NEVER was able to use this feature the games Sector generator makes it sure that the planets allways have at least ONE planetary effect/modifier that cannot be modified/removed to allow for terraforming. every single time. there is ALLWAYS atleast 1 red i cant do anything about. the terraforming is asking for waaay to much to allow for terraforming.

Also improving resources is never allowed. even if the planets is sitting with a bunch of Poor resources.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 01:38:18 PM by Zordiark Darkeater »

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: March 31, 2023, 03:52:39 PM »

Did you make sure to enable the Ouyang Optimizer and Planet Cracker in the mod's settings file? Because those will always improve volatiles for gas giants (for Ouyang) and ore/rare ore for planets without tectonic/extreme tectonic activity (Planet cracker).

Zordiark Darkeater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: March 31, 2023, 05:10:06 PM »

Did you make sure to enable the Ouyang Optimizer and Planet Cracker in the mod's settings file? Because those will always improve volatiles for gas giants (for Ouyang) and ore/rare ore for planets without tectonic/extreme tectonic activity (Planet cracker).

I only now today noticed there are a Bunch of stuff dissabled in the mod settings.
They are nice stuff why are they dissabled ?

Turned them on they work great soooo i have no idea why they are dissabled X.X

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: March 31, 2023, 05:31:00 PM »

Disabled*

And mostly because Boggled doesn't really feel like it fits his mod proper, but still has some potential for those who are interested.

Texas Redhawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: April 01, 2023, 05:12:40 AM »

I have this mod for a year now and i NEVER was able to use this feature the games Sector generator makes it sure that the planets allways have at least ONE planetary effect/modifier that cannot be modified/removed to allow for terraforming. every single time. there is ALLWAYS atleast 1 red i cant do anything about. the terraforming is asking for waaay to much to allow for terraforming.

Also improving resources is never allowed. even if the planets is sitting with a bunch of Poor resources.

I'm not sure what you're having a problem with here - terraforming is somewhat expensive and time consuming, but perfectly possible. Obviously you can't terraform molten worlds or gas giants, but pretty much any barren planet can be terraformed. You just need to normalize the atmosphere, have a stellar array (Stellar Shade for hot worlds, Stellar Mirror for cold ones) built, make sure there's some water available, then terraform away.

But let's go over the specific process with an example. Let's say you've decided to do like I always do in 90% of my runs and colonize Penelope's Star. You start by colonizing Ithaca, which you want to terraform into a Terran world - easily done. Ithaca always starts as Habitable, so all you need to do is build an Atmospherics Processor, Stellar Shade, and then have a colony with either Ismara's Sling (Ismara, obviously, is an excellent choice for this) or a station colony (astropolis, mining station, etc.) with Asteroid Processing. Then you just start the terraforming process and wait awhile. Once you're done you can either tear down the atmospherics processor to avoid the upkeep cost, or first prioritize maxing out relevant resource deposits and adding the Mild modifier.

But let's do a more complicated planet in the same system: Ogygia. I've never seen Ogygia spawn with an atmosphere, so first you'll need an Atmospherics Processor and have it do the project to normalize the planet's atmosphere. Then you'll need a Stellar Mirror to begin the terraforming process. You'll also need water, but if you've still got the Ismara's Sling/Asteroid Processor you used earlier then that's no problem. Terraform away and then bam, done.

As for resource improvements, certain planets have certain caps on resources. First off, you can never improve Ore or Rare Ore resources, only Food, Organics and Volatiles. For Food improvements the world needs to be Habitable and you need a water supply from an Ismara's Sling or Asteroid Processor. For Organics and Volatiles the world needs to be of a certain type, usually Terran, Jungle, Desert etc. and then you can improve the resources up to a certain level depending on the planet.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: April 01, 2023, 08:37:09 AM »

I'm not sure what you're having a problem with here - terraforming is somewhat expensive and time consuming, but perfectly possible. Obviously you can't terraform molten worlds or gas giants, but pretty much any barren planet can be terraformed. You just need to normalize the atmosphere, have a stellar array (Stellar Shade for hot worlds, Stellar Mirror for cold ones) built, make sure there's some water available, then terraform away.

But let's go over the specific process with an example. Let's say you've decided to do like I always do in 90% of my runs and colonize Penelope's Star. You start by colonizing Ithaca, which you want to terraform into a Terran world - easily done. Ithaca always starts as Habitable, so all you need to do is build an Atmospherics Processor, Stellar Shade, and then have a colony with either Ismara's Sling (Ismara, obviously, is an excellent choice for this) or a station colony (astropolis, mining station, etc.) with Asteroid Processing. Then you just start the terraforming process and wait awhile. Once you're done you can either tear down the atmospherics processor to avoid the upkeep cost, or first prioritize maxing out relevant resource deposits and adding the Mild modifier.

But let's do a more complicated planet in the same system: Ogygia. I've never seen Ogygia spawn with an atmosphere, so first you'll need an Atmospherics Processor and have it do the project to normalize the planet's atmosphere. Then you'll need a Stellar Mirror to begin the terraforming process. You'll also need water, but if you've still got the Ismara's Sling/Asteroid Processor you used earlier then that's no problem. Terraform away and then bam, done.

As for resource improvements, certain planets have certain caps on resources. First off, you can never improve Ore or Rare Ore resources, only Food, Organics and Volatiles. For Food improvements the world needs to be Habitable and you need a water supply from an Ismara's Sling or Asteroid Processor. For Organics and Volatiles the world needs to be of a certain type, usually Terran, Jungle, Desert etc. and then you can improve the resources up to a certain level depending on the planet.
This. Depending on what you get, you can create amazing agri worlds, half decent volatiles sources, or just slash hazard by a lot.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: April 01, 2023, 09:51:52 AM »

I must say that I find it a little immersion breaking that you need an external water source to improve farming on jungle worlds, considering the description of jungle worlds twice refers to their natural abundance of water.  I suppose this was a balance decision.

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: April 01, 2023, 10:22:28 AM »

Hmm. This seems like something that should be left to vanilla since TASC doesn't add custom planet types. I'll consider adding it anyway though since it would be a cool feature.

That would be awesome!

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: April 01, 2023, 10:28:58 AM »

you would need to add blacklists to planets that already have the city lights though in order to not have conflicts with them
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 219