Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070177 times)

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.2.0)
« Reply #2295 on: January 03, 2023, 01:50:48 AM »

The Indevo artillery station still doesn't seem to be compatible with the remnant station
can confirm.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: January 04, 2023, 05:24:31 PM »

The Indevo artillery station still doesn't seem to be compatible with the remnant station
can confirm.

Yeah, it's my understanding that per SirHartley's comment in this thread, he also needs to release an update to IndEvo to make the remnant station compatible with artillery stations. I don't think IndEvo has been updated since that comment, so I expect it won't work yet.

I'd like to share a detail that has bothered me about terraforming that you maybe want to address later: It's a little bit off when planets with extreme hot/cold conditions can also have access to the habitable condition when a planet transforms, considering that these conditions by themselves are considered so extreme in the text that unprotected humans can't survive them. (as they are similar to volcanic heat and sub zero polar cold.)

The more obvious solution is to gate these extreme conditions from terraforming, but i understand that this might make a lot of people angry, unfortunately, i don't really have something to propose.

When this happens in my games i usually try to avoid terraforming them, or terraforming them to somewhat more sensible options, like arid for extreme heat and frozen for extreme cold, though i usually just leave them be.

I'd like to hear your point of view on this matter.

You're right that allowing planets with extreme hot or extreme cold to become habitable is somewhat unrealistic. However, extreme hot and extreme cold cannot be suppressed by stellar reflectors, so the player will have to deal with the extra 50% hazard (unless they have a fusion lamp for extreme cold).

It appears that vanilla doesn't generate habitable planets with extreme heat or extreme cold - perhaps I should mimic that. I'll consider this for the next patch. Thanks for the suggestion!

Something else i would like to suggest, though there isn't an example of this anywhere in vanilla (as far as i know), only in modded stations do you see something like this. A sort of "archeological station", by this i mean a station that rotates around around a planet (Like the astropolis), but the planet doesn't have to be occupied (Like the siphon stations) and it would inherit the ruins value of the planet.

The purpose of this is to streamline ruin related tasks, like domain artifacts and tech mining, especially with the former being of great importance in TASC, while also avoiding undesirable planet conditions.

I understand that you want to stick strictly to vanilla logic, and this isn't really something that it's in there, so I'll understand your reasons to doubt this suggestion. In my view, i see it as an external base of operations to extract/salvage the ruin's contents, much like how the mining/siphon are external bases that do as such.

This is an interesting suggestion, but I think it differs from mining and siphon stations in that there's no explanation for it from a lore standpoint. Mining stations mine asteroids, and siphon stations pull volatiles up from the atmosphere of gas giants (per the vanilla lore). I'm not sure how a station can extract relics from the dirt from orbit, and if that's possible, why not farm from orbit too?

TechNinjaSigma

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: January 04, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »

Ayo! Love the mod, but I was wondering if there was any way to add some of the Hazardous conditions via terraforming. I don't know if there already is, but if there isn't I think that'd be a neat feature, in order to set up No Atmostsphere for the Synchrotron core and what not. Again, awesome mod, I really enjoy setting up my colonies and weighing the costs and effects of the terraforming.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: January 05, 2023, 04:36:55 PM »

Ayo! Love the mod, but I was wondering if there was any way to add some of the Hazardous conditions via terraforming. I don't know if there already is, but if there isn't I think that'd be a neat feature, in order to set up No Atmostsphere for the Synchrotron core and what not. Again, awesome mod, I really enjoy setting up my colonies and weighing the costs and effects of the terraforming.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

It's not possible to make colonies "worse" with hazardous conditions to enable special item use. I considered that but I think it would make gameplay worse and be lore incompatible.

Kiith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: January 06, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »

Are Astropolis (astropoli?) worth building (i.e. can they make good profits)? And what are the best setups industry wise for them?

Currently have a terran world with great mining, and wondering if an Astropolis would be better than a high hazard, high mining (and extreme heat) barren world. I'll do both eventually, but don't have the resources yet.

Aran1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: January 06, 2023, 02:56:51 PM »

2 stations in one location. I'm in the Stjarna system added by the UAF mod at the pirate planet in the system's outer rim. It's either going to be called Los Scrapyard or Namnlos as the game switches between both. Reloading fixed it but a memory leak caused me to restart so I'm not sure if the log has anything helpful. Will need to send it through discord if you need it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:45:15 PM by Aran1 »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: January 07, 2023, 07:16:09 AM »

2 stations in one location. I'm in the Stjarna system added by the UAF mod at the pirate planet in the system's outer rim. It's either going to be called Los Scrapyard or Namnlos as the game switches between both. Reloading fixed it but a memory leak caused me to restart so I'm not sure if the log has anything helpful. Will need to send it through discord if you need it.

Thanks for reporting this. What steps did you follow to cause this bug (ex. what type of station did you build, at what location did you build it, etc.)?

Are Astropolis (astropoli?) worth building (i.e. can they make good profits)? And what are the best setups industry wise for them?

Currently have a terran world with great mining, and wondering if an Astropolis would be better than a high hazard, high mining (and extreme heat) barren world. I'll do both eventually, but don't have the resources yet.

I'll leave it up to you to discover what the best configurations are for astropolis stations!

taerkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: January 07, 2023, 06:37:22 PM »

Just built a mining station and built a station expansion on it, but it currently shows a -12 growth malus on the station from the cramped quarters. I don't know if it's related but I apparently turned on Starfarer mode for this run.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:48:48 PM by taerkar »

Aran1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: January 07, 2023, 07:11:42 PM »

Thanks for reporting this. What steps did you follow to cause this bug (ex. what type of station did you build, at what location did you build it, etc.)?

3 astropolis stations. Built the first one, added habitable and mild climate conditions, exited the station then entered it again to turn on freeport, did this again for the 2nd station, then went to the planet they were orbiting to pick up supplies for the 3rd station and moved to where I thought it would spawn in before making it, existed the station again and saw a large open area where I was expecting the station. Normally I just orbit the planet/gas giant until all the stations are built then go turn on freeport. I always add habitable and mild climate conditions to the stations I make.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: January 08, 2023, 07:21:53 AM »

Just built a mining station and built a station expansion on it, but it currently shows a -12 growth malus on the station from the cramped quarters. I don't know if it's related but I apparently turned on Starfarer mode for this run.

What settings do you have for cramped quarters and station expansion? Station expansions only increase the max market size by one before the growth malus starts applying again.

3 astropolis stations. Built the first one, added habitable and mild climate conditions, exited the station then entered it again to turn on freeport, did this again for the 2nd station, then went to the planet they were orbiting to pick up supplies for the 3rd station and moved to where I thought it would spawn in before making it, existed the station again and saw a large open area where I was expecting the station. Normally I just orbit the planet/gas giant until all the stations are built then go turn on freeport. I always add habitable and mild climate conditions to the stations I make.

So essentially you tried to build three astropolis stations around a single planet, and two of them spawned in the same location?

taerkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: January 08, 2023, 07:49:33 AM »

What settings do you have for cramped quarters and station expansion? Station expansions only increase the max market size by one before the growth malus starts applying again.

Code
	# Enables the cramped quarters setting that greatly reduces station population growth starting at the chosen value.
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersEnabled":true,
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersSizeGrowthReductionStarts":3,
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersBaseGrowthPenalty":25,

# Enables the 'Expand Station' industry to increase the population soft limit set above.
# The base cost of this industry can be modified using industries.csv.
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersPlayerCanPayToIncreaseStationSize":true,
"boggledStationProgressiveIncreaseInCostsToExpandStation":true,

Just turned the option on, no changes to the values. The station was still a size 3 and hadn't experienced any growth.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: January 08, 2023, 09:46:52 AM »

Code
	# Enables the cramped quarters setting that greatly reduces station population growth starting at the chosen value.
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersEnabled":true,
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersSizeGrowthReductionStarts":3,
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersBaseGrowthPenalty":25,

# Enables the 'Expand Station' industry to increase the population soft limit set above.
# The base cost of this industry can be modified using industries.csv.
"boggledStationCrampedQuartersPlayerCanPayToIncreaseStationSize":true,
"boggledStationProgressiveIncreaseInCostsToExpandStation":true,

Just turned the option on, no changes to the values. The station was still a size 3 and hadn't experienced any growth.

I took a look and there was a bug in the Cramped Quarters population growth calculation. I'll issue an update soon to fix it. Thanks for letting me know about this, and sorry for the inconvenience!

paulogabbi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: January 09, 2023, 05:24:44 AM »

any way to remove transplutonics from a planet ? each planet i want to place the farming item it have transplutonics sadly

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: January 09, 2023, 05:42:38 AM »

any way to remove transplutonics from a planet ? each planet i want to place the farming item it have transplutonics sadly

No, I deliberately did not create terraforming projects to remove beneficial conditions that block special item use.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: January 09, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »

No, I deliberately did not create terraforming projects to remove beneficial conditions that block special item use.
While it is true that there is no option to just remove transplutonics, it is worth remembering certain terraforming types, like jungle, do a volatiles purge. May help a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 219