Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071782 times)

CaptainPhoenix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2190 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »

Suggestion for a planet or moon sized station that you can build in stable orbits or around a star maybe it could eventually have a story connected to it and obviously it woulf require alot of resources to create...maybe it be build in stages with new functions unlock in each stage

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: November 14, 2022, 07:13:08 AM »

Suggestion for a planet or moon sized station that you can build in stable orbits or around a star maybe it could eventually have a story connected to it and obviously it woulf require alot of resources to create...maybe it be build in stages with new functions unlock in each stage

I don't think a Death Star is lore compatible!

Phalamy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: November 14, 2022, 03:18:46 PM »

Hey a bit of a suggestion. I think it would be good to have terraforming a planet into a normally habitable planet, not make it automatically habitable if it wasn't before. It kinda makes the actual terraforming ability to make planets Habitable redundant outside of like 2 vanilla faction preowned planets.
Since the Habitability terraforming requires a planet to be capable of becoming habitable, and planets that do don't natuarry generate without it.

Would just be nice to give it more of a use.
It would also fit lorewise since having organic life on a planet does not mean it would be habitable to humans. But thats really besides the point.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: November 14, 2022, 05:54:36 PM »

Hey a bit of a suggestion. I think it would be good to have terraforming a planet into a normally habitable planet, not make it automatically habitable if it wasn't before. It kinda makes the actual terraforming ability to make planets Habitable redundant outside of like 2 vanilla faction preowned planets.
Since the Habitability terraforming requires a planet to be capable of becoming habitable, and planets that do don't natuarry generate without it.

It would also fit lorewise since having organic life on a planet does not mean it would be habitable to humans. But thats really besides the point.

You're right that the habitability project has minimal uses. However, I think when players terraform a planet into one of the Earth biome types (ex. Terran, jungle) they expect that planet will have the habitable condition afterwards.

It would be too cumbersome to try to explain that a planet having organic life doesn't automatically mean it's habitable for unprotected humans. Not everyone is familiar with the science behind what conditions humans need to survive.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: November 14, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »

You're right that the habitability project has minimal uses. However, I think when players terraform a planet into one of the Earth biome types (ex. Terran, jungle) they expect that planet will have the habitable condition afterwards.

It would be too cumbersome to try to explain that a planet having organic life doesn't automatically mean it's habitable for unprotected humans. Not everyone is familiar with the science behind what conditions humans need to survive.
Also, a few would be annoyed if they had to do another 200 day project after the 400 day planet type change just to make it habitable.
The project may be niche, but that was to be expected. Worlds with potential for easy atmospheric corrections to make it habitable are rare. (I DID end up using it on one of the ruined worlds added by VIC.)

Phalamy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 15, 2022, 12:07:15 PM »

Yeah thats fair.
On a small note it would allow players to max out their organics production, since thats for some reason impossible in vanilla (Since organics are only on habitable planets and Autonomous Mantle Bore doesn't work on habitable planets).
But well, its organics so it doesn't really matter that much in the first place lol.

Uther Phobos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: November 15, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »

Isn't making it habitable basically the entire point of terraforming to begin with? The issue would be more with randomly spawned planets with said types, which shouldn't always have the condition by default. Any planet you deliberately terraform would of course gain the condition since you're purposely changing it and it makes little sense to make an Earth-like biome but not make it suited for Earth life when the whole point is living in it.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: November 15, 2022, 04:26:42 PM »

Yeah thats fair.
On a small note it would allow players to max out their organics production, since thats for some reason impossible in vanilla (Since organics are only on habitable planets and Autonomous Mantle Bore doesn't work on habitable planets).
But well, its organics so it doesn't really matter that much in the first place lol.

Yeah, I think it's fine that it's not possible to use the Autonomous Mantle Bore for organics on planets created with TASC.

Isn't making it habitable basically the entire point of terraforming to begin with? The issue would be more with randomly spawned planets with said types, which shouldn't always have the condition by default. Any planet you deliberately terraform would of course gain the condition since you're purposely changing it and it makes little sense to make an Earth-like biome but not make it suited for Earth life when the whole point is living in it.

I agree that randomly generated planets shouldn't all have the habitable condition from a realism standpoint, but I'm not going to change that with TASC.

Uther Phobos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: November 17, 2022, 01:13:09 AM »

I agree that randomly generated planets shouldn't all have the habitable condition from a realism standpoint, but I'm not going to change that with TASC.

Wasn't meaning to suggest you do anyway. Just think it's odd they do. Not like it makes any more sense in the unmodded game.

xenoscepter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: November 17, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »

--- I don't know if this has changed recently, but last time I used this mod Planetary Shields didn't negate the Ground Defense malus of Domed Cities. Is this by design, an oversight or just a limitation of modding? I would think a big, *** off energy shield would remove the vulnerability to bombardment, but perhaps not?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: November 17, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »

--- I don't know if this has changed recently, but last time I used this mod Planetary Shields didn't negate the Ground Defense malus of Domed Cities. Is this by design, an oversight or just a limitation of modding? I would think a big, *** off energy shield would remove the vulnerability to bombardment, but perhaps not?

This has been suggested before, but I decided against it because I don't want there to be an "optimal" planet configuration. The defense penalty on Domed Cities prevents the player from spamming it everywhere, which helps to accomplish that goal.

Moomoomaster69

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: November 18, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »

Can you make comppatch so I can use the artillery station with Machine battle station?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: November 18, 2022, 06:19:38 PM »

Can you make comppatch so I can use the artillery station with Machine battle station?

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: November 18, 2022, 09:17:06 PM »

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

He's asking for it in the absolute dumbest way possible, let me explain:

He's referring to this post

The mod implements "Artillery Stations" which do various attacks on the campaign layer as well as being their own small combat station. You can't build them from scratch, so outside of core worlds you gotta defeat them, colonize the planet they are orbiting and build their structure in colony menu, thing is, to build them they need a functioning orbital station first.

As for what that has to do with this mod, since you can build the Remnant Battlestations as an orbital station, they, for some reason, are not being recognized by Industrial.Evolution as a valid station for the purposes of the artillery's requirement.

Hope this clears it out.

Moomoomaster69

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: November 19, 2022, 06:36:11 AM »

ye
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 219