Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071952 times)

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2175 on: November 11, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »

So, I was playing the game RN, and I had a question. What is the lore reason deploying a fusion lamp around Telephilus does not convert it into free storage, by powering up the solar arrays? I know the ingame reason (hard to code), but would like your thoughts, since it is canonically irreperable in your mod.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: November 11, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »

So, I was playing the game RN, and I had a question. What is the lore reason deploying a fusion lamp around Telephilus does not convert it into free storage, by powering up the solar arrays? I know the ingame reason (hard to code), but would like your thoughts, since it is canonically irreperable in your mod.

Telephilus? Is that vanilla content or from a mod?

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: November 11, 2022, 02:52:03 PM »

Oops, I mean Telepylus. It's the Gas Giant with a ruined, uncolonizable station in Penelope's star, and according to vanilla lore, it is faling due to a lack of power due to being too far from the sun. Primary power systems were scavenged, secondary systems were gutted in the process, and the tertiary don't get enough light.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: November 11, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »

Oops, I mean Telepylus. It's the Gas Giant with a ruined, uncolonizable station in Penelope's star, and according to vanilla lore, it is faling due to a lack of power due to being too far from the sun. Primary power systems were scavenged, secondary systems were gutted in the process, and the tertiary don't get enough light.

I took a look at the description of that station and I don't think it implies that setting up a fusion lamp would restore habitability. The station is described as being heavily damaged and stripped of all useful materials/components.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: November 12, 2022, 02:52:00 AM »

I took a look at the description of that station and I don't think it implies that setting up a fusion lamp would restore habitability. The station is described as being heavily damaged and stripped of all useful materials/components.
Fair enough. Maybe it is simply in a stable orbit now? Anyways, thanks for listening to my thoughts.

ArcanumRegis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: November 12, 2022, 01:47:36 PM »

Hello sir, love your mod, excellent execution and concepts behind the elements

For your information, planets terraformed into water planets and later genelab`ed into volturnian lobster pens do not generate income from lobster export

have a nice day!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: November 12, 2022, 05:06:12 PM »

For your information, planets terraformed into water planets and later genelab`ed into volturnian lobster pens do not generate income from lobster export

have a nice day!

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

If the player conquers Volturn using Nexerelin, does Volturn generate income from exporting lobsters?

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: November 13, 2022, 03:59:31 AM »

have a nice day!

If the player conquers Volturn using Nexerelin, does Volturn generate income from exporting lobsters?
Nope, Volturnian Lobster serves as a replacement for luxury goods for manual trade only, with cost scaling with distance from Volturn. It does have the niche use of being perfectly legal in luddic markets, unlike actual luxury goods. Since no market imports it, it is worthless in the colony view, unless you install mods like Lobster Proliferation (reworks it so all worlds consume lobster, and that all water worlds produce it, though at a penalty compared to worlds with lobster pens.) So, Volturnian Lobster seeding is more of a bragging rights thing.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: November 13, 2022, 09:46:04 AM »

have a nice day!

Nope, Volturnian Lobster serves as a replacement for luxury goods for manual trade only, with cost scaling with distance from Volturn. It does have the niche use of being perfectly legal in luddic markets, unlike actual luxury goods. Since no market imports it, it is worthless in the colony view, unless you install mods like Lobster Proliferation (reworks it so all worlds consume lobster, and that all water worlds produce it, though at a penalty compared to worlds with lobster pens.) So, Volturnian Lobster seeding is more of a bragging rights thing.

Ok, thanks for the information! I want Volturnian lobsters to behave identically to vanilla/Nex when seeded with TASC, so they're working as intended if they don't generate income.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: November 13, 2022, 10:42:44 AM »

Uh, I was having a bug where aquaculture was asking for farmland... Manually added the industry by command and worked fine. It happened in Ithaca after I terraformed it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 11:01:05 AM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

Usgiyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: November 13, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »

Shouldn't Harmonic Dampers allow construction of Domed Cities on worlds with extreme tectonic activity? The description seems to imply that it should be possible. Logically it should be possible, if the dampers can negate the effects of the tectonic activity on your civilization on the planet.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: November 13, 2022, 05:29:04 PM »

Uh, I was having a bug where aquaculture was asking for farmland... Manually added the industry by command and worked fine. It happened in Ithaca after I terraformed it.

Yeah, that bug requires the player to save and then reload to fix it. This is caused by issues with the vanilla API and (as far as I know) is not fixable by mod authors.

Shouldn't Harmonic Dampers allow construction of Domed Cities on worlds with extreme tectonic activity? The description seems to imply that it should be possible. Logically it should be possible, if the dampers can negate the effects of the tectonic activity on your civilization on the planet.

Good point - I didn't consider this when I implemented the tectonic activity restriction on Domed Cities. The main problem I can see is what should happen if the player deconstructs the Harmonic Dampers after building Domed Cities, or the Harmonic Dampers are disrupted (ex. by a raid). I'm not sure there's an effective way to communicate to the player that the Domed Cities building will be destroyed in those circumstances, and if it does happen the player will probably feel frustrated by it.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: November 13, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »

Dampeners suppresses the quakes, but don't get rid of them entirely, therefore it is still a huge risk to build a dome due to the multitude of potential issues that could arise.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: November 13, 2022, 10:37:15 PM »

Yeah, that bug requires the player to save and then reload to fix it. This is caused by issues with the vanilla API and (as far as I know) is not fixable by mod authors.

Good point - I didn't consider this when I implemented the tectonic activity restriction on Domed Cities. The main problem I can see is what should happen if the player deconstructs the Harmonic Dampers after building Domed Cities, or the Harmonic Dampers are disrupted (ex. by a raid). I'm not sure there's an effective way to communicate to the player that the Domed Cities building will be destroyed in those circumstances, and if it does happen the player will probably feel frustrated by it.
What system do you use for the agrav field (which relies on having domes)? Maybe zomething similar could work?

Or you could just add a line or two to the tooltip explaining, or make it so harmonic dampers add a planetary feature when in operation, THEN use the same system you use so Floating Continent allows it? Just speculating here.
Making it so it could build domes WOULD make some of my army bases worth more, but it also seems a bit... Strong.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 10:40:25 PM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: November 14, 2022, 06:24:49 AM »

Dampeners suppresses the quakes, but don't get rid of them entirely, therefore it is still a huge risk to build a dome due to the multitude of potential issues that could arise.

Hmm, I could add a line like that to the description of the Domed Cities building if Harmonic Dampers are on the colony to explain why Domed Cities can't be built.

What system do you use for the agrav field (which relies on having domes)? Maybe zomething similar could work?

Or you could just add a line or two to the tooltip explaining, or make it so harmonic dampers add a planetary feature when in operation, THEN use the same system you use so Floating Continent allows it? Just speculating here.
Making it so it could build domes WOULD make some of my army bases worth more, but it also seems a bit... Strong.

Planetary Agrav Field simply stops suppressing high and low gravity if the colony doesn't have the Domed Cities building. That's less problematic and frustrating for the player than Domed Cities deconstructing itself if Harmonic Dampers are removed.

Also Harmonic Dampers are non default content, and back when I was collecting usage data it showed that most players never change the default settings. I'm not sure it's a productive use of my development time to code and test the logic for what happens in these circumstances since only a handful of players will ever encounter the situation.

Maybe I'll just duplicate the Planetary Agrav Field logic for Harmonic Dampers/Domed Cities so players who really want to build that way can - it will just be less lore friendly since there's no text or checks about what's happening.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 219