Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070579 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2160 on: November 08, 2022, 03:53:11 AM »

Hi, Boggled. Two questions.
One: When it says that worlds with an irradiated atmosphere cannot be terraformed, does it refer to the irradiated world type, or worlds with the irradiated market condition? If it refers to the latter, is it intended for them to be unterraformable with the recent changes to the magnetoshield?
I could see it either way, with it being set so the world type is doomed to represent why no one came back to Hanan Pasha, and why PK's are so bad, it being set to the condition to show the limits of domain terraforming, or it being an oversight you did not notice when doing a common sense fix.
Would love if someone cleared it up.
Two: Is there any way to supress or remove asteroid impacts? Does adding an atmosphere stop them, for example?

It wasn't my intention to prevent terraforming of Hanan Pacha. I'll take a look at the code later to see what's blocked and what isn't. I think the way I want it to work is that planets with the irradiated condition can't be terraformed, but planets without the irradiated condition but are of the irradiated planet type can be terraformed.

Asteroid impacts can be suppressed by a building that the player can unlock via a vanilla quest (not the main academy questline). In case you haven't completed that quest yet, I won't spoil it for you here!

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 08, 2022, 06:09:22 AM »

Irradiated planets without the irradiated condition shouldn't actually exist in the vanilla game. The core world generation is a somewhat special case because it inconsistently ignores planetgen rules for whatever inane reason.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: November 08, 2022, 06:14:39 AM »

One: When it says that worlds with an irradiated atmosphere cannot be terraformed, does it refer to the irradiated world type, or worlds with the irradiated market condition? If it refers to the latter, is it intended for them to be unterraformable with the recent changes to the magnetoshield?
I could see it either way, with it being set so the world type is doomed to represent why no one came back to Hanan Pasha, and why PK's are so bad, it being set to the condition to show the limits of domain terraforming, or it being an oversight you did not notice when doing a common sense fix.
Two: Is there any way to supress or remove asteroid impacts? Does adding an atmosphere stop them, for example?

It wasn't my intention to prevent terraforming of Hanan Pacha. I'll take a look at the code later to see what's blocked and what isn't. I think the way I want it to work is that planets with the irradiated condition can't be terraformed, but planets without the irradiated condition but are of the irradiated planet type can be terraformed.

Asteroid impacts can be suppressed by a building that the player can unlock via a vanilla quest (not the main academy questline). In case you haven't completed that quest yet, I won't spoil it for you here!
Uhh, would you be talking about the planetary shield? If so, I may have a problem, as I have Planetary Shield:Access Control installed, and it may have overwritten that, or caused some incompatibility issue I did not notice.
Also, I see what is going on. The magnetoshield used to remove radiation outright, making Hanan Pasha (and worlds hit with your PK) terraformable. However, once you changed it to only supressing it, you did not change it so it checked if it was supressed, thus making all irradiated worlds impossible to terraform, even with the shield.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 06:29:44 AM by YourLocalMairaaboo »

Truly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 08, 2022, 10:45:41 AM »

I was unable to replicate the crash Truly experienced on my system. I downloaded Tahlan Shipworks, satbombed Adramalech Fortress twice so it was destroyed, saved, then reloaded - no crash. I also reviewed my code and I can't identify any obvious reason for the crash.

I created a special build of the mod that includes a bunch of log statements in the method that causes the exception. If you're still experiencing the issue, can you download this version and cause the crash, then send me the stack trace? That should help narrow down why the crash is happening so I can fix it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s7es7tlfot87qi8/AADL2s_wBlUX5zehL5SdRZVMa?dl=0

Thanks again, and sorry about the crash!

Hi, I'm still getting the error, here is the log generated after destroying Adramalech Fortress then save/load again with your build:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yq0ljlhazdizf6d/AABHqKCAWkfVwfs-Omwg3EZKa?dl=0

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: November 08, 2022, 05:14:02 PM »

Irradiated planets without the irradiated condition shouldn't actually exist in the vanilla game. The core world generation is a somewhat special case because it inconsistently ignores planetgen rules for whatever inane reason.

It's fine if planetgen always adds the irradiated condition to irradiated worlds. I just want Hanan Pacha to be terraformable because I think it's satisfying for players to be able to "repair" the planet.

Uhh, would you be talking about the planetary shield? If so, I may have a problem, as I have Planetary Shield:Access Control installed, and it may have overwritten that, or caused some incompatibility issue I did not notice.
Also, I see what is going on. The magnetoshield used to remove radiation outright, making Hanan Pasha (and worlds hit with your PK) terraformable. However, once you changed it to only supressing it, you did not change it so it checked if it was supressed, thus making all irradiated worlds impossible to terraform, even with the shield.

Yes, the planetary shield suppresses meteor impacts if you have TASC installed. I haven't tested it with the Access Control mod - let me know if it works, and if not, I can add support.

I double checked my code and I have it set up so that irradiated planets are classified as barren worlds, which are terraformable. It's only the irradiated condition that blocks terraforming, which Hanan Pacha doesn't have, so it can be terraformed.

You're correct that my change to the magnetoshield makes planets with the irradiated condition impossible to terraform. I'll consider making a change in the next patch to allow terraforming of planets with the irradiated condition so long as the magnetoshield is present.

I was unable to replicate the crash Truly experienced on my system. I downloaded Tahlan Shipworks, satbombed Adramalech Fortress twice so it was destroyed, saved, then reloaded - no crash. I also reviewed my code and I can't identify any obvious reason for the crash.

I created a special build of the mod that includes a bunch of log statements in the method that causes the exception. If you're still experiencing the issue, can you download this version and cause the crash, then send me the stack trace? That should help narrow down why the crash is happening so I can fix it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s7es7tlfot87qi8/AADL2s_wBlUX5zehL5SdRZVMa?dl=0

Thanks again, and sorry about the crash!

Hi, I'm still getting the error, here is the log generated after destroying Adramalech Fortress then save/load again with your build:

Thanks for testing it! I can see from the logs that apparently that market doesn't have a faction ID after the bombardment, which is peculiar because I think it should be getting set to neutral after a colony is destroyed. I created another test build - this one should hopefully fix the crash. Let me know if it works!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f4hauxi0bnomsum/AADv0wEPy5C5GyXlvshLmdsRa?dl=0

xenoscepter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 08, 2022, 05:35:38 PM »

--- Would it be possible to have an option to turn off terraforming options piecemeal? DIY Planets is nice, but I like many of the special buildings in TASC like the Mesozoic Park and Domed Cities. Turning off terraforming turns those off as well, even if I specify otherwise in the config file. Cheers!

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 08, 2022, 10:19:44 PM »

Uh, Boggled, Hanan Pacha DOES have the irradiated condition.

edixo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 09, 2022, 01:39:01 AM »

What counts as an asteroid belt for the mining stations if you have resources depending on number of belts enabled?

Truly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 09, 2022, 02:52:28 AM »

Thanks for testing it! I can see from the logs that apparently that market doesn't have a faction ID after the bombardment, which is peculiar because I think it should be getting set to neutral after a colony is destroyed. I created another test build - this one should hopefully fix the crash. Let me know if it works!

Thank you, I'm still getting this error with the test build. I've already started a new run and this time I didn't have problem after destroying Adramalech Fortress, so I guess it's really rare case and there was probably something else that triggered it. Here is the log if you still want to take a look:

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 09, 2022, 05:01:31 PM »

--- Would it be possible to have an option to turn off terraforming options piecemeal? DIY Planets is nice, but I like many of the special buildings in TASC like the Mesozoic Park and Domed Cities. Turning off terraforming turns those off as well, even if I specify otherwise in the config file. Cheers!

You don't actually have to disable terraforming for TASC to be compatible with DIY. It would be enough to simply not use the buildings or menu options that could cause a conflict, like building Stellar Reflectors or starting a terraforming project. You could even edit the rules.csv file to remove the colony menu options you won't be using.

I just started a new game and it doesn't appear to have it for me. Are you sure about that?

What counts as an asteroid belt for the mining stations if you have resources depending on number of belts enabled?

It checks for a certain type of terrain object. Generally the ones that can damage your fleet if you move through them at high speed count towards the number of belts, and others don't.

Thank you, I'm still getting this error with the test build. I've already started a new run and this time I didn't have problem after destroying Adramalech Fortress, so I guess it's really rare case and there was probably something else that triggered it. Here is the log if you still want to take a look:

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot! I know the exception is being thrown by a condition from TASC, but I suspect the root cause is something in the background messing with that market, since I don't think the faction ID for a market should ever become null.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: November 09, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »

I just started a new game and it doesn't appear to have it for me. Are you sure about that?

He's using Iron Shell. He doesn't know what he's talking about, ignore him.

It's all based on this post.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:09:53 PM by e »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: November 09, 2022, 05:21:58 PM »

Ah, ok.

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out a way to allow terraforming of irradiated planets before the next vanilla update then.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 10, 2022, 02:39:44 AM »

Ah, ok.

Looks like I'm going to have to figure out a way to allow terraforming of irradiated planets before the next vanilla update then.

Maybe add a terraforming project that allows for situational removal of radiation as long as it's not constantly being hit by a source, like a blue giant or a neutron star, etc. That way it would allow to clean planets that were artificially irradiated while still not undermining the usage of the magnetoshield.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: November 10, 2022, 04:07:47 AM »

Ah, ok.

Maybe add a terraforming project that allows for situational removal of radiation as long as it's not constantly being hit by a source, like a blue giant or a neutron star, etc. That way it would allow to clean planets that were artificially irradiated while still not undermining the usage of the magnetoshield.

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. Maybe I can add that functionality to the genelab and say genetically engineered microorganisms that "consume" radiation can clean up planets not actively being irradiated by a neutron star, etc.

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 10, 2022, 08:29:21 AM »

Oops, sorry. The post combined with the mod change I did not notice was not vanilla confused me.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 219