Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071901 times)

Truly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2145 on: November 01, 2022, 12:02:31 PM »

My save file broke mid-game, it seems to be caused by TASC. Could you please take a look at it?

Code
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at data.campaign.econ.conditions.Cramped_Quarters.apply(Cramped_Quarters.java:75)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.addCondition(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.PlanetConditionMarket.convertToRegular(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.readResolve(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CustomCampaignEntity.readResolve(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor18.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.SerializationMembers.callReadResolve(SerializationMembers.java:78)

Full starsector.log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p07v4q10nj3sw36/starsector.zip?dl=0

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 01, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »

My save file broke mid-game, it seems to be caused by TASC. Could you please take a look at it?

Code
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at data.campaign.econ.conditions.Cramped_Quarters.apply(Cramped_Quarters.java:75)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.PlanetConditionMarket.convertToRegular(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.readResolve(Unknown Source)
    at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CustomCampaignEntity.readResolve(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor18.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.SerializationMembers.callReadResolve(SerializationMembers.java:78)

Full starsector.log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p07v4q10nj3sw36/starsector.zip?dl=0

The crash does appear to be caused by TASC - sorry about that!

Are there any particular circumstances under which the crash occurs? Did you make any changes to TASC's source code or upgrade to a newer version mid-save?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 01, 2022, 10:44:10 PM »

More specifically, have you done anything with building a station or converting an existing abandoned station into an inhabited one?

What this looks to be is the game farting over some kind of null pointer error when trying to add or activate the Cramped Quarters condition on a market.

Truly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 01, 2022, 11:44:41 PM »

The crash does appear to be caused by TASC - sorry about that!

Are there any particular circumstances under which the crash occurs? Did you make any changes to TASC's source code or upgrade to a newer version mid-save?

I'm not sure of the circumstances. This is about ~100 hours in then it happened, I just saved and can't load those saves afterwards. 3 recent saves was affected but I could load older save few hours earlier.

I didn't change, upgrade anything during the playthrough or in TASC settings.

More specifically, have you done anything with building a station or converting an existing abandoned station into an inhabited one?

What this looks to be is the game farting over some kind of null pointer error when trying to add or activate the Cramped Quarters condition on a market.

I've built some Astropolis, did not convert any abandoned one. I can't think of doing anything unusual though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 11:48:13 PM by Truly »

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: November 02, 2022, 12:04:45 AM »

Did any of those Astropoli reach a new population size in the time between that last working save and the first busted one?

Truly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: November 02, 2022, 01:58:55 AM »

Did any of those Astropoli reach a new population size in the time between that last working save and the first busted one?

That may have happened. I just loaded the older save that still work, played for a bit, quit then try to load that save and I get this error again.

Edit: Okay, I was able to narrow down to what triggered the error:

- I loaded the last working save, which was right before I engaged and destroyed Adramalech Fortress in Rubicon Star system (Legio faction/tahlan shipworks mod) and just let the game run until the same date as the broken save file. None of my colonies expanded in this time except some constructions are done. I did not interact with my own colonies in either saves. -> nothing happened, the save did not break.
- Then I tried to replicate what I consistently did before the save break: saturation bombing Adramalech Fortress repeatedly until the colony is destroyed, then immediately save then reload. -> Save broken.
- I loaded the last working save to confirm again, sat bomb, save, load -> Save broken.

So it definitely has something to do with the destruction of this colony. But why is it making TASC crash?
Here is Adramalech Fortress colony screen, if its relevant:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3au1rk2zhzn2sr/Screenshot%20%28972%29.png?dl=0
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:44:13 AM by Truly »

Phalamy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: November 02, 2022, 02:49:25 AM »

Hey I wanted to request something,
that being the option to lower/remove certain resource nodes from a planet via terraorming.
Because certain items don't work on planets with specific resources.
For example the farming item (soil nanites) don't work on planets with volatiles. (Also this makes the Terran world option for terraforming automatically adding volatiles to the planet kinda bad)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: November 02, 2022, 02:51:45 AM »

Oh lord, I'm only spitballing and boggled would have to confirm, but I bet the game is getting extremely confused over a previously-populated space station with Cramped Quarters getting sat-bombed into oblivion and now having null population to check against "do I need to restrict population growth".

Either that or it's getting confused about (re)-applying it to a custom campaign entity that was previously populated (since the error is happening in the thread where the game is trying to make sure market conditions are applied to things properly).

Either way, yes, this does appear to be happening because you "forcibly converted" Adramelech into an unpopulated ruin. If you can hold off on that and just continue the game, you should be fine as a workaround. (I'd be curious to see if this happens with a populated station from vanilla, like either of the stations in the Isirah system.)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: November 02, 2022, 04:10:04 AM »

That may have happened. I just loaded the older save that still work, played for a bit, quit then try to load that save and I get this error again.

- I loaded the last working save, which was right before I engaged and destroyed Adramalech Fortress in Rubicon Star system (Legio faction/tahlan shipworks mod) and just let the game run until the same date as the broken save file. None of my colonies expanded in this time except some constructions are done. I did not interact with my own colonies in either saves. -> nothing happened, the save did not break.
- Then I tried to replicate what I consistently did before the save break: saturation bombing Adramalech Fortress repeatedly until the colony is destroyed, then immediately save then reload. -> Save broken.
- I loaded the last working save to confirm again, sat bomb, save, load -> Save broken.

So it definitely has something to do with the destruction of this colony. But why is it making TASC crash?
Here is Adramalech Fortress colony screen, if its relevant:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3au1rk2zhzn2sr/Screenshot%20%28972%29.png?dl=0

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this so thoroughly! I'm very busy with work this week but over the weekend I will download those mods and attempt to fix this. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Oh lord, I'm only spitballing and boggled would have to confirm, but I bet the game is getting extremely confused over a previously-populated space station with Cramped Quarters getting sat-bombed into oblivion and now having null population to check against "do I need to restrict population growth".

Either that or it's getting confused about (re)-applying it to a custom campaign entity that was previously populated (since the error is happening in the thread where the game is trying to make sure market conditions are applied to things properly).

Either way, yes, this does appear to be happening because you "forcibly converted" Adramelech into an unpopulated ruin. If you can hold off on that and just continue the game, you should be fine as a workaround. (I'd be curious to see if this happens with a populated station from vanilla, like either of the stations in the Isirah system.)

Thanks for your help trying to troubleshoot this! I suspect you're correct about the root cause, and this probably also causes a null exception with vanilla stations if they're destroyed via saturation bombing.

Hey I wanted to request something,
that being the option to lower/remove certain resource nodes from a planet via terraorming.
Because certain items don't work on planets with specific resources.
For example the farming item (soil nanites) don't work on planets with volatiles. (Also this makes the Terran world option for terraforming automatically adding volatiles to the planet kinda bad)

I want the player to have to make tradeoffs and difficult choices about terraforming, instead of there being an "optimal" planet configuration. Allowing removal of certain conditions that block special items would not be in line with this goal.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: November 02, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »

Thanks for your help trying to troubleshoot this! I suspect you're correct about the root cause, and this probably also causes a null exception with vanilla stations if they're destroyed via saturation bombing.

I was a little worried I was being unnecessarily nosy. Hopefully it was actually helpful!

(I would be a little surprised this hasn't come up before, tho - there's a few modded habs that have a awful tendency to get blasted to smithereens. Hi, Kadur Revenant Gestalt...)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: November 03, 2022, 02:14:43 AM »

I want the player to have to make tradeoffs and difficult choices about terraforming, instead of there being an "optimal" planet configuration. Allowing removal of certain conditions that block special items would not be in line with this goal.
This goal might possibly be better served by moving minimal volatiles to the Terran type, since:
  • Tundra is the only cold terraformable type, so there's no choice involved for cold worlds.
  • Terran is the "best" class for being guaranteed to not have to deal with temperature conditions (either by default or the presence of mirrors).
  • A non-trivial number of players already seem to gravitate toward Terran as the "optimal" default target anyway.
If Terran did get this farming "debuff" then the player can still choose Jungle or Arid if they specifcally wanted to avoid that. And those potenatially have other issues to deal with that make them "unoptimal".

Alternatively, if you really wanted to tease the player with this kind of thing you could not have any guaranteed volatiles for any terraformed type.
But every time a planet is changed to a habitable type they'd get a hidden event that "rolls" for the discovery of volatiles. (All habitable types have a roughly 9% chance of having any in the vanilla procgen. ;) )

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: November 03, 2022, 04:39:45 AM »

I mean, volatiles and transplutes potentially appearing on a terran or other "prime" habitable, thus spoiling nanite use, is vanilla behavior. At the risk of speaking for boggled, I doubt he's very interested in doing away with something that core to the intended design. Sometimes you just have to adapt.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: November 03, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »

This goal might possibly be better served by moving minimal volatiles to the Terran type, since:
  • Tundra is the only cold terraformable type, so there's no choice involved for cold worlds.
  • Terran is the "best" class for being guaranteed to not have to deal with temperature conditions (either by default or the presence of mirrors).
  • A non-trivial number of players already seem to gravitate toward Terran as the "optimal" default target anyway.
If Terran did get this farming "debuff" then the player can still choose Jungle or Arid if they specifcally wanted to avoid that. And those potenatially have other issues to deal with that make them "unoptimal".

Alternatively, if you really wanted to tease the player with this kind of thing you could not have any guaranteed volatiles for any terraformed type.
But every time a planet is changed to a habitable type they'd get a hidden event that "rolls" for the discovery of volatiles. (All habitable types have a roughly 9% chance of having any in the vanilla procgen. ;) )

Unless I'm mistaken, terraformed Terran worlds already start with trace volatiles.

I don't think randomized resource deposits are a good idea. Players spend a lot of time building up their colonies, and it would be very frustrating if a planet was "ruined" by getting the wrong deposits (ex. a farming world rolling volatiles).

It might be interesting to have each planet be assigned a set of randomized deposits at sector generation, and inform the player of them before they colonize. That would improve realism and make each planet more unique, but it might be difficult to communicate how the system works to the player. Also, players who add TASC mid-save will have already colonized planets and might get stuck with "bad" deposits on their existing colonies.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: November 06, 2022, 05:06:59 PM »

I was unable to replicate the crash Truly experienced on my system. I downloaded Tahlan Shipworks, satbombed Adramalech Fortress twice so it was destroyed, saved, then reloaded - no crash. I also reviewed my code and I can't identify any obvious reason for the crash.

I created a special build of the mod that includes a bunch of log statements in the method that causes the exception. If you're still experiencing the issue, can you download this version and cause the crash, then send me the stack trace? That should help narrow down why the crash is happening so I can fix it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s7es7tlfot87qi8/AADL2s_wBlUX5zehL5SdRZVMa?dl=0

Thanks again, and sorry about the crash!

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: November 08, 2022, 02:58:19 AM »

Hi, Boggled. Two questions.
One: When it says that worlds with an irradiated atmosphere cannot be terraformed, does it refer to the irradiated world type, or worlds with the irradiated market condition? If it refers to the latter, is it intended for them to be unterraformable with the recent changes to the magnetoshield?
I could see it either way, with it being set so the world type is doomed to represent why no one came back to Hanan Pasha, and why PK's are so bad, it being set to the condition to show the limits of domain terraforming, or it being an oversight you did not notice when doing a common sense fix.
Would love if someone cleared it up.
Two: Is there any way to supress or remove asteroid impacts? Does adding an atmosphere stop them, for example?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:15:45 AM by YourLocalMairaaboo »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 219