Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 221

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1093567 times)

Re-Search-er

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.5)
« Reply #2025 on: August 09, 2022, 01:23:48 AM »

I have a question for Boggled. Why were AI Mining Drones Disabled?
Also what is the Lighthouse Building and what does it do? I looked it up in the console and have no idea. Future Content?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 09, 2022, 03:45:00 AM »

I have a question for Boggled. Why were AI Mining Drones Disabled?
Also what is the Lighthouse Building and what does it do? I looked it up in the console and have no idea. Future Content?

AI Mining Drones are disabled by default because I think they're poorly balanced. Rather than remove it, I left it in the mod as a non-default option for those who want to use it anyway.

I assume you're referring to the Limelight Network? It just generates income and demands Domain-era artifacts - that's it. It's intended as a unique building similar to the Cryosanctum or the Lion's Guard HQ, but I figured I should add a settings option to allow the player to build it since I know many will want to.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 09, 2022, 04:20:18 AM »

Some potential changes to think about.

Further integration with Unknown Skies.
Specifically an interaction with the Floating Continent condition that can be found on approx. 6% of Gas Giants.
Allow Gas colonies built on worlds with the Floating Continent condition to build Domed Cities.

Removal of a potential terraforming "trap".
When terraforming a world to the tundra type, remove the automatic inclusion of volatiles.
This was useful in prior versions of the game, but now condition exclusive items exist having tundra always include volatile prevents the use of soil nanites, giving a rather large incentive to avoid this specific type.
The player can always add volatiles later if they wish via the existing terraforming improvements option.

Increase the credit cost of expanding stations when Cramped Quarters is enabled.
100k for going from size 3 to 4 is trivial.
So is 200k for 4 to 5.
And 400k for 5 to 6.
I currently have the initial cost for this set at 500K, and it feels somewhat better and more like a significant thing that has to be planned around and built towards.
Thinking of setting to 1M to slow down even further considering the value of industries and how easy it is to grow stations.
(Probably not everyone's bag tbh, but if we're asking...)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:42:38 AM by Serenitis »

jujuteux

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 09, 2022, 07:45:14 AM »

I don't think Nex even has an opt-out?

but somehow people don't give a *** at nex but here act like it's the sky falling on their head

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 09, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »

but somehow people don't give a *** at nex but here act like it's the sky falling on their head

I think this matter should really be put to rest by now, and I'd advise forum moderators to potentially take action if this discussion continues as off topic as it has.

However, I'd like to point out Nexerelin is not directly comparable in this case as it's feature is not intended as a form of telemetry - as in, collecting data for analysis. Further, version checking is not controlled by a central entity as in this case - mod authors are responsible for providing URLs for Nexerelin to check against, and all Nexerelin does is download version information, not upload (in so much as any web request is not an upload of data).

This is not to say someone could collect data by monitoring for downloads of version data from the URL they have supplied, but they would not be able to harvest any more data than the fact someone connected and accessed said data.

I'd also like to offer an apology however unnecessary, as I believe I may have been the first to discuss the existence of this feature in TASC. Hopefully, you can continue collecting data in a manner more agreeable to all.

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 09, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »

Increase the credit cost of expanding stations when Cramped Quarters is enabled.
Thinking of setting to 1M to slow down even further considering the value of industries and how easy it is to grow stations.

I'd tend to agree since the lore kind of suggests the astropolis kind of stations being quite the architectural wonder. So they probably should be rather expensive to expand to the larger sizes. Maybe requiring a big pile of metals (and/or other resources) to construct each expansion as well as cash ?

Or at least put these sort of things in as options in the config files that players can tweak to their preference.
(I can tweak config files, I do that for other videogames I play, but i know sod-all about javascript, so fiddling with source code is beyond me)

jujuteux

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 09, 2022, 04:19:22 PM »

I'd tend to agree since the lore kind of suggests the astropolis kind of stations being quite the architectural wonder. So they probably should be rather expensive to expand to the larger sizes. Maybe requiring a big pile of metals (and/or other resources) to construct each expansion as well as cash ?

Or at least put these sort of things in as options in the config files that players can tweak to their preference.
(I can tweak config files, I do that for other videogames I play, but i know sod-all about javascript, so fiddling with source code is beyond me)

I think expanding them, same for planets in general, should be quite the increased cost
if we know that the average crew's salary is 10c and we're possibly increasing the size of a station housing hundreds of thousands, the individual person's cost should be at least higher than a monthly payment

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 09, 2022, 06:07:03 PM »

Some potential changes to think about.

Further integration with Unknown Skies.
Specifically an interaction with the Floating Continent condition that can be found on approx. 6% of Gas Giants.
Allow Gas colonies built on worlds with the Floating Continent condition to build Domed Cities.

I like the floating continent idea - I'll see about adding that in the next patch.

Removal of a potential terraforming "trap".
When terraforming a world to the tundra type, remove the automatic inclusion of volatiles.
This was useful in prior versions of the game, but now condition exclusive items exist having tundra always include volatile prevents the use of soil nanites, giving a rather large incentive to avoid this specific type.
The player can always add volatiles later if they wish via the existing terraforming improvements option.

I deliberately made tundra planets start with volatiles knowing that it blocks certain items. The goal is to force the player to make difficult decisions about how to terraform, instead of creating a single "optimal" configuration that they duplicate on all their planets.

I think expanding them, same for planets in general, should be quite the increased cost
if we know that the average crew's salary is 10c and we're possibly increasing the size of a station housing hundreds of thousands, the individual person's cost should be at least higher than a monthly payment

I'm not sure the proposed costs for station expansion are balanced, but I'll add a settings option to control it for those who don't like my default values.

I think this matter should really be put to rest by now, and I'd advise forum moderators to potentially take action if this discussion continues as off topic as it has.

However, I'd like to point out Nexerelin is not directly comparable in this case as it's feature is not intended as a form of telemetry - as in, collecting data for analysis. Further, version checking is not controlled by a central entity as in this case - mod authors are responsible for providing URLs for Nexerelin to check against, and all Nexerelin does is download version information, not upload (in so much as any web request is not an upload of data).

This is not to say someone could collect data by monitoring for downloads of version data from the URL they have supplied, but they would not be able to harvest any more data than the fact someone connected and accessed said data.

I'd also like to offer an apology however unnecessary, as I believe I may have been the first to discuss the existence of this feature in TASC. Hopefully, you can continue collecting data in a manner more agreeable to all.

No apology is necessary! I'm thankful people have generally been civil in this thread even though they strongly disagree with opt-out data collection.

Johnson Shaw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 09, 2022, 10:02:14 PM »

Have tried the mod for a run but...Is it just me or does it totally break the game?

Built my first station around a habitable but otherwise unsurveyed planet in a outer rim star system near the corner of the overall general map. Within a few days--with the spaceport not even built--already had a fair amount of supplies and fuel stored in the location produced by said infrastructure somehow, I think it was around a few hundred already in addition to some extra supplies and fuel that I stored there but shouldn't amount to more even a hundred really. Through a span of a few weeks, months, years of in game time? In any case, it didn't really take that long, it was just one trip back to the core systems, by that time, I already had around 4k stockpile of supplies and fuel each respectively within the recently build orbital station that I really built for storage initially. Confusing to say the least. If I sold those supplies and fuels, I'd already broke even with the money spent on the station and journey from there and back and more to spare even. Even without a proper market, resource production line, and actual economics, the station continues to produce supplies and fuels with a rather exceptional rate? Even the major factions stations don't get as much production/stockpile within their markets  compared to the stations built using this mod.

Is this really how the mod works or? Did the other mods change it's values or something? Only playing pretty much with Nexerelin, some other mods also are in play but are more on utility like making lasers have different colors or so. Aside from possibly Nexerelin, no other mod should be interfering with the values with the resources production of the mod itself. Either the mod is broke or some other mod (Nex) is affecting it.

Love the idea of it but as is is totally game breaking that I opt not to use it anymore for the time being.

If ever, I suggest trying to rebalance the values to match the base value/stats of the standard game if it already is not. Or make it closer to a more balanced amount anyways of which actually makes sense and doesn't break the game. In addition to that, have to consider factors like actual production lines and economics, like having a supply line and market as well as actual influx like visiting fleets and such to stimulate/boosts the local economy. Like, where and how do they even make the absurd amount of supplies and fuels from? Even if the planet it orbits is habital and possibly have resources to exploit, the orbital station production and rates are just crazy to be blunt.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 10:10:30 PM by Johnson Shaw »

Hexxod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 09, 2022, 10:20:27 PM »

You're looking at the stations resource stockpile. You pull from that, you'll end up getting charged at the end of the month for whatever you took.

Still profitable assuming you're trading what you pull to a planet with a shortage, but not really broken.

With the exception of a handful of buildings from other mods, colony profit is given in credits rather than resources.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 09, 2022, 11:55:41 PM »

Hello Boggled
Spoiler
I have a question, does the planet displacer structure from Ind.Evo take for example take Stellar Reflector Array and Astropolis stations from TASC with the planet or does none of these have a chance to come with the planet when it's displaced?
[close]

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 10, 2022, 12:42:26 AM »

is there a mirror for this mod at all? the DL link is not working for me. just says takes to long to load and refresh. but it never loads.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Johnson Shaw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 10, 2022, 03:23:47 AM »

Mmm...Still confused on how the mod actually works.

Aight, will try it out more and see how it goes. I still think it is kinda broken but who knows.

Also new to the forum, confused on the replies and systems here as well so pardon me for that.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 10, 2022, 03:45:29 AM »

Hello Boggled
Spoiler
I have a question, does the planet displacer structure from Ind.Evo take for example take Stellar Reflector Array and Astropolis stations from TASC with the planet or does none of these have a chance to come with the planet when it's displaced?
[close]

I've never tested that. Make a save before using it and let me know what happens!

is there a mirror for this mod at all? the DL link is not working for me. just says takes to long to load and refresh. but it never loads.

The download link appears to be working for me. Maybe Github was having issues - try it again and let me know if it works.

Re-Search-er

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 10, 2022, 09:26:13 PM »

Have tried the mod for a run but...Is it just me or does it totally break the game?

Built my first station around a habitable but otherwise unsurveyed planet in a outer rim star system near the corner of the overall general map. Within a few days--with the spaceport not even built--already had a fair amount of supplies and fuel stored in the location produced by said infrastructure somehow, I think it was around a few hundred already in addition to some extra supplies and fuel that I stored there but shouldn't amount to more even a hundred really. Through a span of a few weeks, months, years of in game time? In any case, it didn't really take that long, it was just one trip back to the core systems, by that time, I already had around 4k stockpile of supplies and fuel each respectively within the recently build orbital station that I really built for storage initially. Confusing to say the least. If I sold those supplies and fuels, I'd already broke even with the money spent on the station and journey from there and back and more to spare even. Even without a proper market, resource production line, and actual economics, the station continues to produce supplies and fuels with a rather exceptional rate? Even the major factions stations don't get as much production/stockpile within their markets  compared to the stations built using this mod.

Is this really how the mod works or? Did the other mods change it's values or something? Only playing pretty much with Nexerelin, some other mods also are in play but are more on utility like making lasers have different colors or so. Aside from possibly Nexerelin, no other mod should be interfering with the values with the resources production of the mod itself. Either the mod is broke or some other mod (Nex) is affecting it.

Love the idea of it but as is is totally game breaking that I opt not to use it anymore for the time being.

If ever, I suggest trying to rebalance the values to match the base value/stats of the standard game if it already is not. Or make it closer to a more balanced amount anyways of which actually makes sense and doesn't break the game. In addition to that, have to consider factors like actual production lines and economics, like having a supply line and market as well as actual influx like visiting fleets and such to stimulate/boosts the local economy. Like, where and how do they even make the absurd amount of supplies and fuels from? Even if the planet it orbits is habital and possibly have resources to exploit, the orbital station production and rates are just crazy to be blunt.
Yer looking at an outpost. It's a resupply base that does nothing but accumulate supplies and fuel. It's there when you need it due to being so far from civilisation and running short. I like to build them in far flung gate systems, preferably on a gas giant so I can just jump down in from hyperspace when I start getting low. The supplies are not free, you get charged for them at the end of the month. Also it can seriously save your ass if you get heavily damaged by a remnant fight and are far from the core worlds.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 221