Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 221

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1090877 times)

TheGodUncle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.4)
« Reply #1965 on: July 28, 2022, 07:56:03 AM »

Not all vanilla planet types can be terraformed. Volcanic worlds cannot be terraformed, but barren and frozen worlds generally can, depending on the conditions on the planet.

I looked through the thread but can't find what those conditions are. Sorry if it's been asked before or if it's just easy to find but what are the conditions needed to be able to terraform a planet?

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 28, 2022, 11:18:45 AM »

This is a really neat mod, and I've been enjoying playing with it.

I looked through the thread but can't find what those conditions are. Sorry if it's been asked before or if it's just easy to find but what are the conditions needed to be able to terraform a planet?

I'm not sure of them offhand, but if you go to one of your planets and press the terraforming options, it'll tell you what conditions you need in order to terraform the planet.

Like, to terraform a barren desert planet, into a terran type planet, then I think there's like 4-5 conditions before you can begin the project, and one of them is having a source of water for the terraforming project. Which means an asteroid mining station, or a watery planet with an ice launcher structure in the same star system.

I checked ingame, and the planet also needs to have an atmosphere, and might also need certain terraforming structures such as solar reflectors present on the planet.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:05:23 PM by Kat »

TheGodUncle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 28, 2022, 01:18:22 PM »

I'm not sure of them offhand, but if you go to one of your planets and press the terraforming options, it'll tell you what conditions you need in order to terraform the planet.

Like, to terraform a barren desert planet, into a terran type planet, then I think there's like 4-5 conditions before you can begin the project, and one of them is having a source of water for the terraforming project. Which means an asteroid mining station, or a watery planet with an ice launcher structure in the same star system.

I checked ingame, and the planet also needs to have an atmosphere, and might also need certain terraforming structures such as solar reflectors present on the planet.

Yeah, I hadn't changed anything in the settings since first downloading the mod so it seems terraforming was just not available to me. I changed some settings and it works now.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 28, 2022, 05:14:42 PM »

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Coil

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 28, 2022, 10:21:50 PM »

So, I built asteroid collection on my dry planet and it became terrain eccentric, but then I had the option to let the building keep going and it gave my planet the "Hydrated" condition and not anything else. What happens now? Is there a step-by-step that tells the process to terraform? If I let it continue terraforming will I get a water world?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 29, 2022, 06:01:57 AM »

So, I built asteroid collection on my dry planet and it became terrain eccentric, but then I had the option to let the building keep going and it gave my planet the "Hydrated" condition and not anything else. What happens now? Is there a step-by-step that tells the process to terraform? If I let it continue terraforming will I get a water world?

Are you using DIY Planets or TASC? That doesn't sound like the process for TASC terraforming.

TheGodUncle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 30, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »

I don't know why but I have to put in an orbital lamp on every Astropolis station for them to be profitable. Is that supposed to happen?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 30, 2022, 03:54:02 PM »

I don't know why but I have to put in an orbital lamp on every Astropolis station for them to be profitable. Is that supposed to happen?

Can you post a screenshot before and after installing the orbital lamp?

Re-Search-er

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 30, 2022, 11:22:11 PM »

Upon updating the mod and loading my save, the game crashed. Log here:
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Boggled_Remnant_Station.advance(Boggled_Remnant_Station.java:58)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Economy.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.dialogDismissed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
105917 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.public  - Creating streaming player for music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
105918 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]

TheGodUncle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 31, 2022, 07:42:17 AM »

Before: https://imgur.com/a/9q9abo8.
After: https://imgur.com/a/YAGTGy3.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 31, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »

Upon updating the mod and loading my save, the game crashed. Log here:
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at data.campaign.econ.industries.Boggled_Remnant_Station.advance(Boggled_Remnant_Station.java:58)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Economy.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.dialogDismissed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
105917 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.public  - Creating streaming player for music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
105918 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]

Are you able to start a new game and build a Remnant station without a crash occurring? You may have updated to a version of the mod that's not backwards compatible with your previous version.

Before: https://imgur.com/a/9q9abo8.
After: https://imgur.com/a/YAGTGy3.

This happened because the Kletka Simulator isn't properly detecting that market is a station. I think I know why and I'm going to add additional checks in the next update to hopefully prevent this issue. Thanks for reporting this!

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: August 01, 2022, 10:54:08 AM »

I did have one thought though, about the overall setting of the game world. Like... the sector is in a pretty poor state, and there's some worlds, like... Asharu, that was partially terraformed before the Collapse. So to me anyway, it suggests that terraforming isn't exactly commonplace, the sector lacking either the technology or the political will, to restart the various partially complete terraforming projects.

So what I was thinking, was that the various terraforming buildings, like the atmosphere processor, could be like the "Planetary Shielding" building, in that you need to find the blueprint to build them, before you can start terraforming everywhere. Or, maybe that could be a setting that individual players could choose - whether to start with all buildings available, or have to explore the sector for blueprints. (it'd be an interesting story, finding blueprints for terraforming techs, in the ruins of an abandoned planet, out on the far reaches of the sector).

since I mentioned planetary shielding, I had one more minor thought - that if you find the planetary shielding tech, that you could upgrade domed cities, to something like "shielded dome cities", which would have a slightly less severe penalty to planetary defence strength. (instead of being x0.05, maybe x0.1). It just seemed to me, that it'd be easier to shield a dome, than it would to shield the entire planet.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: August 01, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »

I did have one thought though, about the overall setting of the game world. Like... the sector is in a pretty poor state, and there's some worlds, like... Asharu, that was partially terraformed before the Collapse. So to me anyway, it suggests that terraforming isn't exactly commonplace, the sector lacking either the technology or the political will, to restart the various partially complete terraforming projects.

So what I was thinking, was that the various terraforming buildings, like the atmosphere processor, could be like the "Planetary Shielding" building, in that you need to find the blueprint to build them, before you can start terraforming everywhere. Or, maybe that could be a setting that individual players could choose - whether to start with all buildings available, or have to explore the sector for blueprints. (it'd be an interesting story, finding blueprints for terraforming techs, in the ruins of an abandoned planet, out on the far reaches of the sector).

I rather like this idea, especially considering how lonely planetary shielding is as an industry blueprint

Mcgrolox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.5)
« Reply #1978 on: August 01, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »

+1 this if it's possible, but at the same time I also get that this is one of the distinctions between this and DIYP since the latter revolves around most of the projects requiring constant oversight and a domain era artifact to work, notably limiting terraforming options for the player. However, again only if possible, getting blueprints or artifacts related to terraforming could also be done in relation to the old Mbaye-Gogol ruins (Hanan Pacha) and moon (Killa) that got blowed up in the second AI war in Yma (for non-random sectors for people with Nex) - something along the lines of finding logs or trace communications that pointed along a breadcrumb trail towards assorted blueprints or one offs for terraforming. If possible and not against the ideology of the mod, cool one offs might be artifacts that could circumvent normally un-terraformable planets like gas giants, lava, or irradiated worlds, either by using some kind of obscure tech that simply eases one of the issues on those worlds; or by something completely arcane, expensive, and multi-staged (Geomagnetic Stabilizer Coil for example for lava) that changes the type of the planet outright to one that can be terraformed further from there. From me all just ideas though.

As far as requests, and again recognizing that this is only if this is possible since game/engine limitations be like that sometimes - would it be possible to get either a similar or the same readout as far as terraforming progress goes, on any relevant terraforming buildings, akin to what is currently present on Chameleon and the Gene-Lab for their processes? So, for example, if a planet was being given an atmosphere via an atmospheric processor, would it be possible to have the terraforming progress of that shown in the tooltip for the processor, like it would if pollution was being removed by the Gene-lab - this would be largely just a small QoL change with the point of being able to see terraforming progress on a planet remotely, so if it would be an undertaking it can be understandably opted away from.

<3
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:03:25 PM by Mcgrolox »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.5)
« Reply #1979 on: August 01, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »

since I mentioned planetary shielding, I had one more minor thought - that if you find the planetary shielding tech, that you could upgrade domed cities, to something like "shielded dome cities", which would have a slightly less severe penalty to planetary defence strength. (instead of being x0.05, maybe x0.1). It just seemed to me, that it'd be easier to shield a dome, than it would to shield the entire planet.

I've considered requiring blueprints for certain buildings in the past. The main issues are:

Adding blueprints to random drops will dilute the loot pool, which is a major problem players have with DIYP. I could cause the blueprints to drop as part of a quest, but I've written quests before and they are extremely time consuming to develop, and only interesting the first time the player goes through them. My prior quests appear to have been received favorably, but I'm not a very good writer so perhaps there were a lot of critics who didn't share their negative feedback.

I don't want the terraforming content to require extensive exploration or questing to unlock, since many players don't stay on the same save for too long and they will end up being unable to use the content in most playthroughs.

From a lore standpoint, most of the technologies that are part of my mod are not very advanced. Someone in the sector should be able to read on the internet how to build orbital mirrors or atmosphere processors - the same is not true for the planetary shield.

Regarding Domed Cities and the planetary shield, that's an interesting idea but I don't think it would improve gameplay. I want Domed Cities to have a serious drawback so the player has to make a difficult decision about how to set up their colony, instead of just creating the same "best" configuration on every planet.

+1 this if it's possible, but at the same time I also get that this is one of the distinctions between this and DIYP since the latter revolves around most of the projects requiring constant oversight and a domain era artifact to work, notably limiting terraforming options for the player. However, again only if possible, getting blueprints or artifacts related to terraforming could also be done in relation to the old Mbaye-Gogol ruins (Hanan Pacha) and moon (Killa) that got blowed up in the second AI war in Yma (for non-random sectors for people with Nex) - something along the lines of finding logs or trace communications that pointed along a breadcrumb trail towards assorted blueprints or one offs for terraforming. If possible and not against the ideology of the mod, cool one offs might be artifacts that could circumvent normally un-terraformable planets like gas giants, lava, or irradiated worlds, either by using some kind of obscure tech that simply eases one of the issues on those worlds; or by something completely arcane, expensive, and multi-staged (Geomagnetic Stabilizer Coil for example for lava) that changes the type of the planet outright to one that can be terraformed further from there. From me all just ideas though.

As far as requests, and again recognizing that this is only if this is possible since game/engine limitations be like that sometimes - would it be possible to get either a similar or the same readout as far as terraforming progress goes, on any relevant terraforming buildings, akin to what is currently present on Chameleon and the Gene-Lab for their processes? So, for example, if a planet was being given an atmosphere via an atmospheric processor, would it be possible to have the terraforming progress of that shown in the tooltip for the processor, like it would if pollution was being removed by the Gene-lab - this would be largely just a small QoL change with the point of being able to see terraforming progress on a planet remotely, so if it would be an undertaking it can be understandably opted away from.

<3

I'm definitely not going to implement terraforming-related artifacts or special items after seeing the negative feedback DIYP got for doing that (due to the issues I mentioned above).

Ideally the player should be able to control terraforming remotely in addition to viewing progress. Unfortunately I'm not sure from a technical standpoint how to make that work correctly - I think I would have to overwrite the market-related classes from vanilla, which I can't do since it would create compatibility issues. I could make it possible to view terraforming progress on the industry tooltips for terraforming buildings, but that would be awkward without also providing the ability to control it remotely.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 221