Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070300 times)

aurafort

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.3)
« Reply #1905 on: July 06, 2022, 08:48:46 AM »

Is it possible to have a way to reroll the mirror configuration? Mirrors sometimes get desynced from the planet or get rather weird configurations, like a solar shield for an ice planet.

You can shut down the Stellar Reflector Array building and rebuild it (using console commands to speed it up).

This is the first time I'm hearing that reflectors can get desynced from the planet - can you post a screenshot and/or describe the circumstances under which it occurred?

How do you speed up building with Console commands? (i dont see it with the default commands on the list)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 06, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »

Is it possible to have a way to reroll the mirror configuration? Mirrors sometimes get desynced from the planet or get rather weird configurations, like a solar shield for an ice planet.

You can shut down the Stellar Reflector Array building and rebuild it (using console commands to speed it up).

This is the first time I'm hearing that reflectors can get desynced from the planet - can you post a screenshot and/or describe the circumstances under which it occurred?

How do you speed up building with Console commands? (i dont see it with the default commands on the list)

I believe fastbuild will immediately complete the current building being constructed if you use the command while interacting with a market. Type help to see all the commands.

Probe1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 08, 2022, 08:21:42 PM »

I love the mod so much but I'd kill for a config toggle to enable the domain archeology industry but disable buildings requiring domain artifacts.  I love the idea of making super rare items in the ultra late game.  I just don't want to pay such a steep price in upkeep from artifacts.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: July 09, 2022, 07:37:15 AM »

I love the mod so much but I'd kill for a config toggle to enable the domain archeology industry but disable buildings requiring domain artifacts.  I love the idea of making super rare items in the ultra late game.  I just don't want to pay such a steep price in upkeep from artifacts.

I'm confused - if you have in-faction production of Domain artifacts, then using buildings that demand them won't increase your colony upkeep costs, right?

TheHZDev

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 10, 2022, 06:42:44 AM »

Sir, can the name of the Gate under construction by this mod change with the name of the current galaxy, such as "Gate Of Duzahk"?
I think it will make it easier for players to find their destination in the info list.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 11, 2022, 07:42:37 AM »

Sir, can the name of the Gate under construction by this mod change with the name of the current galaxy, such as "Gate Of Duzahk"?
I think it will make it easier for players to find their destination in the info list.

If you activate a gate that was procedurally generated the name is set to Active Gate. I want my mod to mirror the vanilla behavior, so I'm not going to change the gate name to match the star system.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 11, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »

Would you consider more planet options for terraforming?

Personally i would replace "Terran" with "Terran Eccentric" (or have them both available), as it implies that the terraforming process; while good and revolutionary, it's not perfect and it can't mimic old earth exactly, which is probably the highest standard the Eridani Utopia corporation would've aspired to reach. This would make regular Terran worlds that much more special and unique.

As for just options in general, things like: Desert, Barren-Desert and Terran Eccentric. The Desert planets would behave like the current Arid and Terran Eccentric like a regular Terran, but it would offer more variety on planet types i think.

Maybe even consider types added by the mod "Unknown Skies"?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 11, 2022, 04:56:23 PM »

Personally i would replace "Terran" with "Terran Eccentric" (or have them both available), as it implies that the terraforming process; while good and revolutionary, it's not perfect and it can't mimic old earth exactly, which is probably the highest standard the Eridani Utopia corporation would've aspired to reach. This would make regular Terran worlds that much more special and unique.

If I replace Terran with Terran Eccentric, players who want to create Terran planets will be very disappointed. If I allow both types, players will wonder what the differences are and why they would choose Terran Eccentric over Terran, since Terran is supposed to be superior.

The same problem exists with Desert, Barren Desert, etc. - why terraform to those planets types when they're supposed to be inferior to Arid?

I could add a settings toggle to enable additional terraforming options, but that would take quite a bit of work to implement, would probably make the gameplay worse, and I think very few players would end up using it.

Maybe even consider types added by the mod "Unknown Skies"?

This is a possibility, but it has two problems:
1. Content in Unknown Skies could change and cause bugs or crashes with TASC until I update TASC.
2.  I don't want to spend too much development time on features only a small fraction of players will use. I'll have to check my data to see what percentage of players are using Unknown Skies.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: July 11, 2022, 05:10:38 PM »

If I replace Terran with Terran Eccentric, players who want to create Terran planets will be very disappointed. If I allow both types, players will wonder what the differences are and why they would choose Terran Eccentric over Terran, since Terran is supposed to be superior.

The same problem exists with Desert, Barren Desert, etc. - why terraform to those planets types when they're supposed to be inferior to Arid?

I am a bit more in favor of having visual variety even if it's functionally the same thing. After having most your planets optimized into terran worlds your planets can start looking a bit same-y. I try to not turn everything into terran, sometimes i prefer jungles, arids or tundras if the situation permits for the sake of visual variety while also having habitable worlds.

This is, of course, a personal preference, but most people might be in for the optimization and the aesthetics are not a big concern.

I could add a settings toggle to enable additional terraforming options, but that would take quite a bit of work to implement, would probably make the gameplay worse, and I think very few players would end up using it.

Can't argue with that. If it's too much effort for a very small gain, then nevermind what i said.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 11, 2022, 05:47:12 PM »

I am a bit more in favor of having visual variety even if it's functionally the same thing. After having most your planets optimized into terran worlds your planets can start looking a bit same-y. I try to not turn everything into terran, sometimes i prefer jungles, arids or tundras if the situation permits for the sake of visual variety while also having habitable worlds.

I tried to design the current terraforming system so there's gameplay reasons to create a variety of different planet types. Some planet types are restricted based on temperature, the starting and maximum resources for each planet type are different, and there's some buildings like Seafloor Cities and Kletka Simulator that only work on certain planet types.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 11, 2022, 08:54:18 PM »

2.  I don't want to spend too much development time on features only a small fraction of players will use. I'll have to check my data to see what percentage of players are using Unknown Skies.

I wonder what percentage is NOT using Unknown Skies... it feels like it is a kind of "default" mod, specially sicne so many mods use it too even if not officailly (a lot of mods copy parts of unknown skie sfor their own use, to the point Tartiflette made some optimized stuff so that Starsector doesn't have to load the same copy several times, one for each mod using it).

topley

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: July 13, 2022, 12:44:43 PM »

Hello boggled, great mod. Just as a question though, is there any option to colonise the really decayed stations around the core worlds (like the abandoned skyhook on Al Gebbar, or Telepylus Station in Penelope's Star)?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 13, 2022, 01:10:36 PM »

Hello boggled, great mod. Just as a question though, is there any option to colonise the really decayed stations around the core worlds (like the abandoned skyhook on Al Gebbar, or Telepylus Station in Penelope's Star)?

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

Recolonization has to be blocked on some stations because they're essential to the main questline. Essentially I just blocked recolonization on the types of stations that the main questline uses, so some unique stations that aren't involved will also be blocked.

mechanicalFactory

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.4)
« Reply #1918 on: July 15, 2022, 03:23:16 PM »

Thanks for the cool mod, Boggled, the Terraforming stuff is really great. I'm glad you added a reason to make the automated station in colonies. Do the new patrols use the ships associated with that station or do they use the player's blueprint doctrine?

J2Greene

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.4)
« Reply #1919 on: July 15, 2022, 04:59:05 PM »

Hello Mr.Boggled,
I've been trying out your TASC mod, and enjoying it quite a bit.

On my first attempt to construct a Mining Station, I ran into this small problem:
Spoiler
[close]

TASC does not think there is an asteroid belt, even though the nav screen disagrees: the belt is there.

Examining the savefile, it appears that the object is of type prv_debris_belt (added by the mod Hazard Mining Incorporated / Prv Starworks)
plugin cl="scripts.campaign.terrain.RustBeltTerrainPlugin" z="1074" tid="prv_debris_belt" n="Asteroid Belt" nTCA="false"

TSC, even though it is declared "Hazard Mining Incorporated - Compatible.", does not check for this type in boggledTools.java/playerFleetInAsteroidBelt() and several other similar functions.
The checks look like this
if (terrainID.equals("asteroid_field") || terrainID.equals("asteroid_belt"))

This can be responsible for some issues reported earlier in this thread where a system that visually seemed full of asteroid belts was not recognized by TASC.

If it is changed to something like
if (terrainID.contains("asteroid_field") || terrainID.contains("asteroid_belt") || terrainID.contains("debris_belt"))
will that fix it?

Potentially, besides prv_debris_belt, the H.M.I. mod could be adding some other asteroid-related object types, which could be relevant for station construction in TASC.
The surest way to know would be to check directly with the developer of Prv Starworks?

Versions used: Starsector 0.95.1a-RC6 & Terraforming and Station Construction 8.1.3 & Prv Starworks 22.0.0
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 219