Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070577 times)

SyberSmoke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.3)
« Reply #1875 on: June 19, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »

Q: So the stations work like colonies?  Can I put industry in them like say Refining?  Or do they have their own things to put in them?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 19, 2022, 11:02:35 AM »

Q: So the stations work like colonies?  Can I put industry in them like say Refining?  Or do they have their own things to put in them?

Stations work just like a regular colony, and have access to most of the same industries/buildings.

wvmmhxkh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: June 20, 2022, 02:03:12 AM »

Can this mod be added during an existing campaign? I colonized a lot of worlds and now want to play sector-scale happy farm.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 20, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »

Can this mod be added during an existing campaign? I colonized a lot of worlds and now want to play sector-scale happy farm.

Yes, TASC can be added to an existing save. Enjoy!

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 20, 2022, 08:53:29 AM »

I have a suggestion for domed cities:

Many the penalty less crippling on certain Unknown Skies planets, similarly how you did the "underwater" ones.

1: Archipelago planets in Unknown Skies seemly don't enable underwater cities or something.
2: "Artificial" planet probably have plenty of places to hide domed cities, or rather, they would look like Petra (the city in Jordan that was build by carving rock)
3: Ice planets with the condition that allows you to build "inside" the ice near a warm core probably should have less crippling defense penalty.

Another option too is allow the construction of "armored" cities (and maybe further, defense-integrated cities, that have their own guns), but that have steep costs in certain commodities to keep active (for example rare_metals, supplies, etc... whatever makes it balanced and not something people will build automatically).

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 20, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »

I have a suggestion for domed cities:

Many the penalty less crippling on certain Unknown Skies planets, similarly how you did the "underwater" ones.

1: Archipelago planets in Unknown Skies seemly don't enable underwater cities or something.
2: "Artificial" planet probably have plenty of places to hide domed cities, or rather, they would look like Petra (the city in Jordan that was build by carving rock)
3: Ice planets with the condition that allows you to build "inside" the ice near a warm core probably should have less crippling defense penalty.

Another option too is allow the construction of "armored" cities (and maybe further, defense-integrated cities, that have their own guns), but that have steep costs in certain commodities to keep active (for example rare_metals, supplies, etc... whatever makes it balanced and not something people will build automatically).

Do Archipelago planets have the "water-covered surface" condition? If not, I don't want to swap Domed Cities with Underwater Cities on that planet type.

Having more planet-type specific variants of Domed Cities would be interesting, but I would need new artwork for each variant that effectively communicates how it's different than the standard Domed Cities. Also, I don't want to implement variants specific to Unknown Skies planet types because if there are changes in the Unknown Skies mod, it could break my content that relies on it.

I don't think armored cities would provide any meaningful improvement in gameplay. We already have the Ground Defenses/Heavy Batteries building.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 20, 2022, 11:24:35 AM »

Armored city is just a dome that doesn't have the massive defense penalty.

I thought about it because my main "fortress" planet would benefit from domed cities but then it would stop being a fortress... (it is a planet that is extremely hot and have no atmosphere, so perfect to production chain of military high HQ by itself... but with stupid-high hazard that make growth negative)

wvmmhxkh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 20, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »

Boggled, could you make industries constructable only when there's a relevant condition on the planet? I.e. mirrors only if there's hot/cold/farmland/water on the planet. Pretty annoying little thing.

Also, could you block fulleren spool from being installed on space stations? Kinda immersion breaking to be able to build space elevator onto a station and still get bonuses from that. I would also suggest setting default station habitability to 150%(as i understand it habitability is the complexity of maintaining colonial infrastructure, not how well adapted the place is to human life), and adding a 20% accessibility bonus to offset that. I changed that for myself in settings, but this might be a more immersive default. Also cramped quarters is a cool immersive feature and should be there by default, as well as asteroid mining being linked to belts - that one is really cool and balances mining stations.

Also i would suggest adding a requirement for minimum heavy machinery amount production by the player(say 7  - size 6 colony production plus corrupt nanoforge plus admin or improvement) for unlocking the solar mirror. Once again, it's immersion breaking - lore says that sector can't produce orbital mirrors(even though realistically they aren't that hard to make - you don't need a giant structure we see over echou bles, just a thin foil and some orbital infrastructure to maintain it), so you should only be able to produce something like that once you become an interstellar power in your own right. Would also be better gameplay-wise, right now your mod is basically the habitability cheat button, if you were to gate megastructres behind colony development they would become endgame content instead. Low upkeep and no resource requirement for the mirrors are very realistic and i love them. I would also hardcode atmospheric processor heavy machinery requirement to 6, irregardless of the colony size. I would also adjust farming bonus from orbital mirror to 1, since they are buildable in your mod. Two orders of magnitude increase in crop yields is a bit much for a simple lighting adjustment.

Also, could you add a toggle for disabling terraforming, habitability changing, "no atmosphere" removal, adding of "mild atmosphere", and resource improvement(that one feels like cheating and defeats the purpose of exploration - what's the point of searching for good planets when you can just magically improve every planet you have)? Once again, breaks immersion to be able to just produce an atmosphere out of tin air, if you pardon the pun - atmospheric processor is cool for adjusting the composition of existing atmosphere or fixing extreme weather, but actual terraforming would take at least a hundred years. As for mild atmosphere - that stops feeling special when you can just add it to every planet you have.

wvmmhxkh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 20, 2022, 04:48:39 PM »

Also, it would be cool if biolab could remove inimical biosphere.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 21, 2022, 11:28:55 AM »

Boggled, could you make industries constructable only when there's a relevant condition on the planet? I.e. mirrors only if there's hot/cold/farmland/water on the planet. Pretty annoying little thing.

Also, could you block fulleren spool from being installed on space stations? Kinda immersion breaking to be able to build space elevator onto a station and still get bonuses from that. I would also suggest setting default station habitability to 150%(as i understand it habitability is the complexity of maintaining colonial infrastructure, not how well adapted the place is to human life), and adding a 20% accessibility bonus to offset that. I changed that for myself in settings, but this might be a more immersive default. Also cramped quarters is a cool immersive feature and should be there by default, as well as asteroid mining being linked to belts - that one is really cool and balances mining stations.

Also i would suggest adding a requirement for minimum heavy machinery amount production by the player(say 7  - size 6 colony production plus corrupt nanoforge plus admin or improvement) for unlocking the solar mirror. Once again, it's immersion breaking - lore says that sector can't produce orbital mirrors(even though realistically they aren't that hard to make - you don't need a giant structure we see over echou bles, just a thin foil and some orbital infrastructure to maintain it), so you should only be able to produce something like that once you become an interstellar power in your own right. Would also be better gameplay-wise, right now your mod is basically the habitability cheat button, if you were to gate megastructres behind colony development they would become endgame content instead. Low upkeep and no resource requirement for the mirrors are very realistic and i love them. I would also hardcode atmospheric processor heavy machinery requirement to 6, irregardless of the colony size. I would also adjust farming bonus from orbital mirror to 1, since they are buildable in your mod. Two orders of magnitude increase in crop yields is a bit much for a simple lighting adjustment.

Also, could you add a toggle for disabling terraforming, habitability changing, "no atmosphere" removal, adding of "mild atmosphere", and resource improvement(that one feels like cheating and defeats the purpose of exploration - what's the point of searching for good planets when you can just magically improve every planet you have)? Once again, breaks immersion to be able to just produce an atmosphere out of tin air, if you pardon the pun - atmospheric processor is cool for adjusting the composition of existing atmosphere or fixing extreme weather, but actual terraforming would take at least a hundred years. As for mild atmosphere - that stops feeling special when you can just add it to every planet you have.

Also, it would be cool if biolab could remove inimical biosphere.

There's a lot of suggestions here - I'll address a few of them below, but I would recommend making changes to the mod source code yourself if you want to customize it to this extent.

The main reason I leave station hazard at 100% with no accessibility modifier and no cramped quarters (by default) is because that's how stations behave in vanilla if the player views the market. I wanted to make station markets as simple as possible and make them behave how the player expects, and provide settings options for those who want to modify the default behavior. This is the same reason why I'm not going to change the food bonus from Stellar Reflectors - I want it to be the same as the vanilla behavior.

I don't want to block Fullerene Spool on stations due to balance reasons. Players will be disappointed if a station market actually has a lower maximum accessibility than a regular colony.

I understand where you're coming from with gating megastructures so the player can't built them very early on. The problem is that having a decently sized colony is already late game content, and I want the player to be able to use some terraforming buildings soon after founding a colony. Otherwise, many players will never get to see them! Stellar Reflectors are probably the most satisfying terraforming building because of the orbiting reflectors on the map, so I definitely want to make that as accessible as possible so long as it doesn't introduce major balance problems.

Mesozoic Park wouldn't be as cool if the Genelab could subsequently remove inimical biosphere.

Blocking buildings based on whether the planet could actually benefit from them is an interesting idea. It would take a good amount of time to code the logic and test it thoroughly, and if I change the functionality of the building later it will require rewriting and further testing. I'll think about it, but I don't see this as high priority right now.

Dwarden

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 27, 2022, 02:22:08 PM »

so i got this crash :(
Code
1331240 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.campaign.econ.boggledTools.getPlanetType(boggledTools.java:372)
at data.campaign.econ.boggledTools.getCreateMirrorsOrShades(boggledTools.java:436)
at data.campaign.econ.industries.Boggled_Stellar_Reflector_Array.getCurrentImage(Boggled_Stellar_Reflector_Array.java:230)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.ooo0.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryListPanel.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.s.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.newsuper.showOverview(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.newsuper.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.O0O0.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O$5.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O.setCurrentTab(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo.showCoreInternal(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo.showCore(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.OpenCoreTab.execute(OpenCoreTab.java:40)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.B.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.?00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 27, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »

so i got this crash :(
Code
1331240 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.campaign.econ.boggledTools.getPlanetType(boggledTools.java:372)
at data.campaign.econ.boggledTools.getCreateMirrorsOrShades(boggledTools.java:436)
at data.campaign.econ.industries.Boggled_Stellar_Reflector_Array.getCurrentImage(Boggled_Stellar_Reflector_Array.java:230)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.ooo0.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.IndustryListPanel.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.s.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.newsuper.showOverview(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.marketinfo.newsuper.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.O0O0.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O$5.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O.setCurrentTab(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo.showCoreInternal(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo.showCore(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.OpenCoreTab.execute(OpenCoreTab.java:40)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.B.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.?00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Under what circumstances did this crash occur? Specifically, what planet is the Stellar Reflector Array on, what type is that planet, is the planet procedurally generated or part of the core worlds, and did you use any console commands on that planet or leading up to the crash? Are you running DIY Planets?

Dwarden

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 27, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »

only what comes to mind, custom planet, pre-generated with it's system in java, part of my faction ...
it has "stellar_mirror" added (neutral)

tho not sure about the stellar reflector as it's newly started game i just wanted to check the colony and it crashed
also first time i see such crash

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 03:34:54 PM by Dwarden »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 27, 2022, 03:58:26 PM »

only what comes to mind, custom planet, pre-generated with it's system in java, part of my faction ...
it has "stellar_mirror" added (neutral)

tho not sure about the stellar reflector as it's newly started game i just wanted to check the colony and it crashed
also first time i see such crash

Do you know which mod adds the planet? I think I fixed the crash, but I'd like to verify that by testing it with the planet.

WolfPriest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 04, 2022, 01:45:52 AM »

The description says that this is compatible with Unknown Skies, but Archipelago World is not considered a "water world", so much of the terraformation options are locked off for me. Is there a way around this issue?
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 219