Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071036 times)

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v7.1.3)
« Reply #1425 on: August 31, 2021, 03:12:11 PM »

Yes, that would be a more accurate description, but I had to look up the meaning of "Paraterraforming" and I assume most other users won't know what it means either. Same with creating a planet type called Ecumenopolis - most players won't know what that refers to (unless they've played Stellaris).
Well, this mod could be the Stellaris in this case and teach the meaning to the players. They would see "Paraterraforming" and perhaps become confused, but then they'd see the icon and description and quickly make the link between the word "paraterraforming" and domed, earth-like environments, adding it to their lexicon.

Again though, this isn't a big deal.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 31, 2021, 05:23:03 PM »

What about an upgrade for "Domed Cities" called "World City", where the positive effects triple, but the negative effects double and the planet becomes a hot spot for pirate and pather activities?

I used to have an Arcology World planet type, which was superseded by Domed Cities. My main concerns with an actual world city colony are that:

1. The population size necessary to fully inhabit a world city on even a small planet is incompatible with starsector lore. For example, the moon has a surface area of 14.6 million square miles. Even with a modest population density of 6,000 per square mile, that implies a colony on a small moon would need almost 100 billion people to fully populate a world city. The largest colony in vanilla starsector is Chicomoztoc, which has a few hundred million people.

2. The CHAMELEON can easily counteract the stability malus and sabotage from pirates and pathers. I'm trying to avoid creating an "ideal colony configuration" that the player sets up on every planet they own, and giving Domed Cities even stronger bonuses without a new, unmitigable drawback would be at odds with that goal.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 01, 2021, 01:57:59 AM »

CHAMELEON does anger the Hegememe and baits them to force expeditions to that colony. Maybe there could be harsher events related to CHAMELEON that the player must counteract? Like AI attempting to go rogue similar to colony admin AI when you attempt to remove it from office. Tritach may also mess with you if you use alpha level AI so boldly.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 01, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »

CHAMELEON does anger the Hegememe and baits them to force expeditions to that colony. Maybe there could be harsher events related to CHAMELEON that the player must counteract? Like AI attempting to go rogue similar to colony admin AI when you attempt to remove it from office. Tritach may also mess with you if you use alpha level AI so boldly.

I like the idea of CHAMELEON or other buildings creating negative events periodically as a drawback. I'll think about implementing this for the next major patch!

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 02, 2021, 07:52:09 AM »

Suggestion: a "Magnetic Shield" structure that would suppress the "Irradiated" condition.

Deploying magnets at L1 Lagrange points to protect planets from a star's radiation is among the most popular suggested terraforming techniques. It's not high tech and definitely not Clarketech. I didn't suggest it before since I didn't see much use for it, but now that I finally got a chance to get into 0.95, I'm finding a good number of No Atmopshere worlds that would be good Refining/Fuel Production markets if they weren't Irradiated, and nothing in this mod seems to address it.
If added, I personally think it'd be relevant and realistic enough to be default, but if you're apprehensive about that, you could make it an option like the Harmonic Damper or Agrav Field.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 02, 2021, 03:00:41 PM »

Suggestion: a "Magnetic Shield" structure that would suppress the "Irradiated" condition.

Deploying magnets at L1 Lagrange points to protect planets from a star's radiation is among the most popular suggested terraforming techniques. It's not high tech and definitely not Clarketech. I didn't suggest it before since I didn't see much use for it, but now that I finally got a chance to get into 0.95, I'm finding a good number of No Atmopshere worlds that would be good Refining/Fuel Production markets if they weren't Irradiated, and nothing in this mod seems to address it.
If added, I personally think it'd be relevant and realistic enough to be default, but if you're apprehensive about that, you could make it an option like the Harmonic Damper or Agrav Field.

Hmm, I suppose this would be a decent addition. I'll look into adding it in the next patch, although it will almost certainly be a non-default option.

123nick

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 14, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »

Can i install this mid save if i intend too disable the terraforming features and just have station construction?

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 14, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »

Can you add a Domain-Era Artefacts demand for the Agrav Field, Harmonic Damper, Terraforming Platform and Atmosphere Processor? They seem like the kind of grand Domain-Era works that would need lost technology to operate. Perhaps the demand for the Agrav and Harmonic Damper can scale with population?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 14, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »

Can you add a Domain-Era Artefacts demand for the Agrav Field, Harmonic Damper, Terraforming Platform and Atmosphere Processor? They seem like the kind of grand Domain-Era works that would need lost technology to operate. Perhaps the demand for the Agrav and Harmonic Damper can scale with population?

I'll think about it. I know Agrav fields are apparently ubiquitous in the present-day sector, so that one definitely won't need them.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 14, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »

I know Agrav fields are apparently ubiquitous in the present-day sector, so that one definitely won't need them.

There's also the consideration that Agrav fields may be less effective when they have to operate in a gravity well. Whatever the lore justification for why it works or doesn't, if you decide to do it could you also add an option to add Artefact demand to structures that you don't think should have the demand by default? Perhaps for Domed Cities too? I like to make all the terraforming/environmental mitigation solutions hard to obtain (or at least seem hard to obtain), and having something more than a big price tag/upkeep helps there.

edit: thanks for the mod, love the station-building aspect, and thanks for being so quick to respond on random suggestions  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:43:17 PM by PreConceptor »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 14, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »

I know Agrav fields are apparently ubiquitous in the present-day sector, so that one definitely won't need them.

There's also the consideration that Agrav fields may be less effective when they have to operate in a gravity well. Whatever the lore justification for why it works or doesn't, if you decide to do it could you also add an option to add Artefact demand to structures that you don't think should have the demand by default? Perhaps for Domed Cities too? I like to make all the terraforming/environmental mitigation solutions hard to obtain (or at least seem hard to obtain), and having something more than a big price tag/upkeep helps there.

I agree that the terraforming structures should feel hard to obtain or have some sort of special requirements, but it's difficult to do that in a way that both makes sense lore-wise and also creates fun gameplay. Requiring DAE for all terraforming buildings doesn't make sense lore-wise since some of them can be built using real life 21st century technology, and others are clearly viable with sector-level technology.

I could go the route of requiring special items that can only be found through salvage, but that dilutes the loot pool and many players don't want to have to explore the entire sector every time they start a new save just to terraform.

I tried locking certain things behind quests that had to be completed in a previous version of the mod. That worked OK, but the new story quests in 0.95a are very lengthy and high quality, and mine weren't quite up to that standard. Plus, it takes an enormous amount of time to create quests, especially if they have branching outcomes.

Finally, I have to consider that most players aren't going to play the same save for dozens of cycles. If terraforming takes too long or is too expensive, they'll never get to use it.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 14, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »

so optional DEA demand perhaps that's separate from the overall DAE setting? I don't know how complex that would be.

I just wish I could add the demand myself in a txt or excel file since that's the extent of my tweaking capabilities :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:38:14 PM by PreConceptor »

chet_mcmasterson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 15, 2021, 02:42:39 AM »

How do I know if terraforming is working? I've got a waterworld + sling in system with a desert world + stellar mirrors and genelab. I don't see any market conditions (besides the basic stellar mirror one), and the genelab doesn't say that it's working on anything on hover.

I appreciate any thoughts--I've been fooling around with this and reading threads for a while now with no luck.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 15, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »

My kletka simulator isn't showing any % chance for an Alpha core in the tooltip, it only goes up to Beta. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:42:57 AM by JenkoRun »

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »

My kletka simulator isn't showing any % chance for an Alpha core in the tooltip, it only goes up to Beta. Am I missing something?
Have you got an Alpha Core installed?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 219