Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070900 times)

ZeroPhoenix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v7.0.0)
« Reply #1200 on: April 29, 2021, 12:29:33 AM »

I can't really say I'm a fan of the new terraforming system, the only vanilla item that actually does anything to reduce the hazard level is the Orbital Fusion Lamp, and considering that there are orbital reflectors and shades throughout the sector, I can't really see why the old system had to go completely.

Presumably, the point of the lamp would have been for it to be used on worlds in complete darkness and with temperatures near absolute 0 where reflectors wouldn't work (eg. no Host star or incredibly far from host star) and it's probably just a little bit of a logical oversight by Alex because using it on a world when you could use reflectors instead seems like massive overkill.

And honestly given how, less than useful the current terraforming system and I really don't see a reason to ever bother using it, I understand there were balancing issues but increasing the time and cost should have counteracted those to a reasonable extent.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 29, 2021, 12:38:53 AM »

Honestly DIY system is more lore-friendly and realistic - and nothing stops you from using two mods together, disabling overlapping features. The only problem with DIY for me is lack of unique icons for the new stuff.

IMHO, I think that terraforming might as well be gone here and instead this mod should add new colony items one could find during exploration and some rare blueprints for other useful structures that would make your colonists' lives better at hazardous worlds. Keeping the G.E.C.K. expy with paradise world transformation is also fine. The only feature I really miss is arcology type of planet for hive world experience. Sure, dome cities cover it partially but these have severe downsides for defenses even plasma shield fails to counter. Same for US three unique conditions that let your colonies being built in pre-existing tunnel systems or on the planet's bedrock deep under ice.

ZeroPhoenix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 29, 2021, 12:51:28 AM »

Honestly DIY system is more lore-friendly and realistic - and nothing stops you from using two mods together, disabling overlapping features. The only problem with DIY for me is lack of unique icons for the new stuff.

IMHO, I think that terraforming might as well be gone here and instead this mod should add new colony items one could find during exploration and some rare blueprints for other useful structures that would make your colonists' lives better at hazardous worlds. Keeping the G.E.C.K. expy with paradise world transformation is also fine. The only feature I really miss is arcology type of planet for hive world experience. Sure, dome cities cover it partially but these have severe downsides for defenses even plasma shield fails to counter. Same for US three unique conditions that let your colonies being built in pre-existing tunnel systems or on the planet's bedrock deep under ice.

Part of the reason I don't use DIY (and I have heard from this others too) is because the large number of items that it adds, which could dilute the loot pool, also you get a lot fewer options than the previous system (Eg. not every single person wants every world to be a Terran one) I myself would usually self-limiting and take into account how close it was to the local star was, the type of planet already was etc, and then only terraform the world so far and the new system doesn't really allow for that at all.

tiago_gomestrf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 29, 2021, 03:19:47 AM »

Guys i think boggled will rework the terraform system but for now if you prefer the old terraforming, like me, you can download the old terraforming (for 0.91) and you just need to change game version of the mod, i advise turning off the astral gates and the space elavator thing because in the 0.95 they become "uselless". I playing a new game with the old version of this mod and until now no problems.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 29, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »

Personally, I can't say that I'll miss the old(point-based) system. It allowed and encouraged the player to turn every single worthless rock into Gilead 2.0, completely invalidating just about every other planet type.
Honestly DIY system is more lore-friendly and realistic
No offense, but... what? DIY adds tectonic stabilizers, gravity manipulators, planet building, and brown dwarf creation. On a lore-offensiveness scale where 1 is a utility mod and 10 is an anime portrait pack, it's an easy 8.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 29, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »

Personally, I can't say that I'll miss the old(point-based) system. It allowed and encouraged the player to turn every single worthless rock into Gilead 2.0, completely invalidating just about every other planet type.
Honestly DIY system is more lore-friendly and realistic
No offense, but... what? DIY adds tectonic stabilizers, gravity manipulators, planet building, and brown dwarf creation. On a lore-offensiveness scale where 1 is a utility mod and 10 is an anime portrait pack, it's an easy 8.

Agreed. I try to keep an open mind towards constructive criticism, but claiming DIY planets is more realistic and lore-friendly than this mod is difficult to comprehend.

And honestly given how, less than useful the current terraforming system and I really don't see a reason to ever bother using it, I understand there were balancing issues but increasing the time and cost should have counteracted those to a reasonable extent.

Have you seen the settings file option to allow more terraforming projects and/or modify the time required? I wouldn't describe it as "less than useful" when you can create (almost) any planet type you want, similar to the old system.

chrizeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 29, 2021, 02:33:53 PM »

I'm not sure if the mod is bugged or whatnot, but my terraforming progrees is all over the place.

The progress on one of my planets was at 53% at one point, but when i came back a little later it was down to 13%.

Am i doing something wrong?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 29, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »

I'm not sure if the mod is bugged or whatnot, but my terraforming progrees is all over the place.

The progress on one of my planets was at 53% at one point, but when i came back a little later it was down to 13%.

It should only go down if you change the terraforming project or you change the number of days required in the settings file. Did you do either of those things?

chrizeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 29, 2021, 09:49:26 PM »

No, i havent touched the settings.

I did select the terraforming option at one point, but i didnt change the ongoing project.

But then again, maybe i mislicked or something. Its no biggie. The planet got terraformed eventually.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 29, 2021, 11:39:30 PM »

DIY is more realistic in terms of gradual terraforming. Cooled down volcanic world turns barren, barren with added atmosphere becomes desert e.t.c.
And boogled mod had gravity manipulation as cheat option in config file. Maybe DIY could have stuff disabled too, I'm not sure.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 30, 2021, 03:26:56 AM »

DIY is more realistic in terms of gradual terraforming. Cooled down volcanic world turns barren, barren with added atmosphere becomes desert e.t.c.
I like the idea of gradual terraforming too, and I get why you'd think that it's realistic, but although some steps in the process definitely are, you probably picked the worst example with volcanic to barren.
Volcanic planets are hot because they're young and their cores have yet to cool down enough for the surface to be anything but a giant geological hotspot, yet in DIY, this heat is somehow removed with Stellar Shades blocking light from stars. Realistically, the space monkeys living in Starsector's dystopia wouldn't be able to do anything about volcanic worlds within reasonable timeframes.

CrimsonPhalanx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 01, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »

It should only go down if you change the terraforming project or you change the number of days required in the settings file. Did you do either of those things?

My EUTEK terraforming is a little wonky as well, I had one stay at 0% for very long
Then I decided to test it by removing and placing it back
I placed another EUTEK on a cold planet in the same system that says "progress is halted due to temperatures" (both are habitable)
and suddenly both planets went to 1%
I removed the EUTEK from the cold planet
and the previous jungle planet's progress went to 0% again
I removed and replaced the jungle planet's EUTEK and I'm just gonna keep playing, will update if I see more wonky stuff

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 01, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »

My EUTEK terraforming is a little wonky as well, I had one stay at 0% for very long
Then I decided to test it by removing and placing it back
I placed another EUTEK on a cold planet in the same system that says "progress is halted due to temperatures" (both are habitable)
and suddenly both planets went to 1%
I removed the EUTEK from the cold planet
and the previous jungle planet's progress went to 0% again
I removed and replaced the jungle planet's EUTEK and I'm just gonna keep playing, will update if I see more wonky stuff

Interesting. I'll do some testing to see if I can replicate this problem. Thanks for reporting it!

BlazeM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 01, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »

I have recently started using Terraforming and Station Construction. And I have a question.

Can you terraform volcanic worlds and if so how?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 01, 2021, 03:47:16 PM »

I have recently started using Terraforming and Station Construction. And I have a question.

Can you terraform volcanic worlds and if so how?

No, unless you change boggledEnableAllTerraformingProjects in the settings file to true.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 219