Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070311 times)

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.4.6)
« Reply #975 on: December 28, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »

Military Virus, Parasitic Spores and Inimical Biosphere should be removable as separate action. Just like you can remove pollution to please Greta or make climate Mild. Sounds like a task for bio-chemical division.
Also what about making techmining more rewarding and more risky? So you could for example release pre-domain military virus from ruins or there would be large weapon stash looted by criminal underworld/pathers mandating military police to screen the populace and confiscate them all. But as reward you could dig up industrial ruin, that was not found before, blueprints or even a landed ship up to destroyer size in some hidden hangar.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 29, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »

Military Virus, Parasitic Spores and Inimical Biosphere should be removable as separate action. Just like you can remove pollution to please Greta or make climate Mild. Sounds like a task for bio-chemical division.
Also what about making techmining more rewarding and more risky? So you could for example release pre-domain military virus from ruins or there would be large weapon stash looted by criminal underworld/pathers mandating military police to screen the populace and confiscate them all. But as reward you could dig up industrial ruin, that was not found before, blueprints or even a landed ship up to destroyer size in some hidden hangar.

I do intend to add options to change specific conditions (such as the military virus) in the next patch. I'm waiting for the next version of starsector before doing any more updates.

I can't edit vanilla industries like Techmining without introducing compatibility problems with other mods. I agree that there could be changes to Techmining to make it more interesting, but that's up to Alex.

megabot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 29, 2020, 12:05:11 PM »

so umm...i don't know if its nexerilin, but if i build an outpost it pretty much instantly spawns heavy scavanger fleets in the system 40 light years away from civilisation

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 29, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »

so umm...i don't know if its nexerilin, but if i build an outpost it pretty much instantly spawns heavy scavanger fleets in the system 40 light years away from civilisation

This is almost certainly not caused by or related to this mod (TASC). Outposts are a Nex feature.

john frost

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 06, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »

hey i have a question have you ever thought of adding in this mod something like a dyson sphere cause it will be cool if you can put something like that inside the mod that we can make in the game

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 06, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »

hey i have a question have you ever thought of adding in this mod something like a dyson sphere cause it will be cool if you can put something like that inside the mod that we can make in the game

I don't think a dyson sphere would be lore-compatible, and it also probably wouldn't contribute much to improving gameplay. How do you envision it would work from a gameplay standpoint?

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »

The patch notes say that we'll have a "megaproject that can be brought back online," which I'm guessing is the Coronal Hypershunt pictured in one of the recent blog posts.
It's far from a Dyson Sphere, but if structures like these are possible, then so are Dyson Swarms, which I imagine would function much like colonies on giant planets. Honestly, you don't even need to look at the Hypershunt. Technology that allows the construction of space stations automatically allows the construction of Dyson Swarms. Though, I guess they wouldn't function in Starsector because star coronas eat through supplies.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2021, 07:12:45 AM »

The patch notes say that we'll have a "megaproject that can be brought back online," which I'm guessing is the Coronal Hypershunt pictured in one of the recent blog posts.
It's far from a Dyson Sphere, but if structures like these are possible, then so are Dyson Swarms, which I imagine would function much like colonies on giant planets. Honestly, you don't even need to look at the Hypershunt. Technology that allows the construction of space stations automatically allows the construction of Dyson Swarms. Though, I guess they wouldn't function in Starsector because star coronas eat through supplies.

If vanilla is already getting a megastructure that orbits stars, I probably don't want to infringe on it by making my own. Depending on how Alex implements it, I might reconsider this at a later time.

Outlander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 13, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »

Hi. I've got a few questions here. Last changelog seems to imply that this mod and DIY Planets are compatible with each other. Is that true? How does that work?

Another one is that in the Better Colonies mod there's a warning about stations built from other mods not incorporating the station code from Better Colonies. Does that apply to this mod?

The last one would be about the Astropolis. Do they count towards the colony (market) limit, where you can only administrate X number before there's a penalty? And what is their function exactly? To have some extra space to build more industries?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 13, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »

Hi. I've got a few questions here. Last changelog seems to imply that this mod and DIY Planets are compatible with each other. Is that true? How does that work?

Another one is that in the Better Colonies mod there's a warning about stations built from other mods not incorporating the station code from Better Colonies. Does that apply to this mod?

The last one would be about the Astropolis. Do they count towards the colony (market) limit, where you can only administrate X number before there's a penalty? And what is their function exactly? To have some extra space to build more industries?

DIY Planets used to cause a crash if you created an arcology world via terraforming using TASC (this mod). That crash has been fixed. In general, people who use both TASC and DIY Planets should disable terraforming in TASC to avoid unexpected behavior. If terraforming is disabled in TASC, then it should be fully compatible with DIY Planets.

I've never heard of any incompatibilities between Better Colonies and TASC, so I assume there's no problem. Please let me know if you encounter any issues so I can fix them.

Astropoli count towards your administrator limit just like a normal colony would. They're useful because they have 100% hazard and can be built in close proximity to other colonies to stack defensive fleets.

Outlander

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »

I see. It's a pity though. There are things I really like about each mod.

DIY let's you be more specific and involved in the terraforming process, and it can take a while to complete because of the RNG aspect to it, but the progression is one-directional (they can only "improve") which is more "realistic" but cuts down on the options available for planet types to choose. And it has the ships to create planets and stars, which I wish were their own mini-mod, but understand why they are simply included into DIY.
Meanwhile TASC is more varied on the types of planets you can create (less realistic but more flexible options), has more features overall (except those ships), more customizable thanks to the settings file but the progression seems much more passive (as far as I can tell anyway, have not tried it yet).

There were a few other things I wanted to ask about. I tried to compile them in one post so I don't end up writing one for each question that pops in my head:

First would be Arcology worlds. What are their characteristics? Why would I want to create one? Advantages and disadvantages?
The other would be about certain industries that I found while reading through the settings file. In particular Hydroponics industry, Wilflife (I'm guessing it's a typo and you meant Wildlife) Exploitation industry and Spice Harvesting industry. What do they do? And why are they disabled by default? I can't tell at all to be honest.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 14, 2021, 11:23:58 AM »

First would be Arcology worlds. What are their characteristics? Why would I want to create one? Advantages and disadvantages?

They're basically desert planets that can support unique buildings. See the mod guide in the original post.

The other would be about certain industries that I found while reading through the settings file. In particular Hydroponics industry, Wilflife (I'm guessing it's a typo and you meant Wildlife) Exploitation industry and Spice Harvesting industry. What do they do? And why are they disabled by default? I can't tell at all to be honest.

Those industries were created due to popular demand or were failed experiments. They're disabled by default because I think they create a bad gameplay experience, but I left them in the mod because some players have a different opinion and like using them. The in-game tooltips describe what they do if you're curious (make sure to back up your save before enabling them).

Thanks for letting me know about the spelling mistake! I'll correct that for the next patch.

EdisonTrent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 30, 2021, 06:04:46 AM »

Thank you very much for continuing to work on and support your mods in these trying times.
Conquering Optimizing the galaxy is one of the few ways I can relax and take a break from reality.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 31, 2021, 06:09:36 AM »

Thank you very much for continuing to work on and support your mods in these trying times.
Conquering Optimizing the galaxy is one of the few ways I can relax and take a break from reality.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

ssauraabi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 02, 2021, 10:29:00 PM »

I noticed a couple issues with having terraforming disabled when in use with DIY.  Sling was still listed, as was the comet industry. Wasn't able to build the water distro from DIY properly, nor did I seem to be able to correct the 50% dark like usual (I think you can do that in DIY, may be misremembering).
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 219