Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 221

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1092485 times)

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.2.1)
« Reply #600 on: June 18, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »

Is there any way to get the gate station to spawn say, where the fleet is?

I am currently saving and reloading if it lands in a weird place. 
As it generally dumps it far beyond the planetsĀ” orbits.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 18, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »

Is there any way to get the gate station to spawn say, where the fleet is?

I am currently saving and reloading if it lands in a weird place. 
As it generally dumps it far beyond the planetsĀ” orbits.

The logic tries to spawn the gate within a small radius around the fleet at a spot where a stable location could be generated. If it can't find one, it spawns it at a random spot in the system where a stable location could be generated.

To spawn the gate next to your fleet, you have to place your fleet somewhere that a stable location could be generated. Usually right on top of planets or near a star won't work.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 19, 2020, 07:08:08 AM »

Is the intention to make the gates change their appearance when a fleet flies through?

No, just semi-transparent picture. Makes gates looks less flat.

P.S. Gate animation when activated would be great. Not sure how it can be implemented both graphical and script. I made a fast look on how vanilla animations is made. No gif. or else animation formats. Everything is either multiple-layers procedural thing, or simple frame-to-frame swap.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 19, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »

Is the intention to make the gates change their appearance when a fleet flies through?

No, just semi-transparent picture. Makes gates looks less flat.

P.S. Gate animation when activated would be great. Not sure how it can be implemented both graphical and script. I made a fast look on how vanilla animations is made. No gif. or else animation formats. Everything is either multiple-layers procedural thing, or simple frame-to-frame swap.

A gate animation could be done using the same method as the lights overlays on stations but it would be much more time consuming to code and create the art assets. Besides, I think having the blue warp bubble in my gates at all times makes them visually distinct from the inactive gates so the player doesn't become confused. If the bubble only pops in when the gate is activated, I think that would actually be a bad design decision.

Regarding the images you posted, the problem is that the lighting seems incorrect. There shouldn't be shadows or halos on the warp bubble because light from another star is coming through it. It's not a flat surface where shadows could be cast.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 19, 2020, 07:46:15 AM »

It wasn't mine anyway...  :P

Regarding to gate station spawn problem: haven't encounter it in my playthrough. Always works as it should be for me. So made a few tests, trying to replicate. It is seems not working correctly if player's fleet is close to a planet or orbiting an object (rings or magnetic field) if it's parent body is not a primary star (like gas giants). For magnetic fields and rings orbiting a primary star works great.

So, I believe, problem is: players tries to spawn a gate right on planet (or close to it). Simple enlarging the distance from closest celestial body helps. Algorithm allow to spawn a gate in almost touching orbits, but only if different initial phase angle.

Suggestion: algorithm should stop players of building gate if it's position too close to a celestial body.

Alternate suggestion: allow gates to spawn on orbit of bodies, that are not a primary star.

P.S. real odd behavior when trying to spawn a gate right in a center of nebula system.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 19, 2020, 08:00:28 AM »

It wasn't mine anyway...  :P

Regarding to gate station spawn problem: haven't encounter it in my playthrough. Always works as it should be for me. So made a few tests, trying to replicate. It is seems not working correctly if player's fleet is close to a planet or orbiting an object (rings or magnetic field) if it's parent body is not a primary star (like gas giants). For magnetic fields and rings orbiting a primary star works great.

So, I believe, problem is: players tries to spawn a gate right on planet (or close to it). Simple enlarging the distance from closest celestial body helps. Algorithm allow to spawn a gate in almost touching orbits, but only if different initial phase angle.

Suggestion: algorithm should stop players of building gate if it's position too close to a celestial body.

Alternate suggestion: allow gates to spawn on orbit of bodies, that are not a primary star.

P.S. real odd behavior when trying to spawn a gate right in a center of nebula system.

My code is entirely dependent on the vanilla stable location generation code. I don't want to copy/paste the vanilla code just to make small changes.

I initially tried to write my own code for where to spawn the gate, but there were just an endless number of edge cases that were becoming impossible to account for, so I gave up and just used the stable location code instead. I don't see a compelling reason to wade back into those problems considering that if the player chooses a reasonable spot it will almost always work correctly.

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 21, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »

Is there anyway this could work for gas giants?  I know it doesn't make any lore sense but I really love the aesthetics of giant terran planets and such.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2020, 04:19:41 AM »

Is there anyway this could work for gas giants?  I know it doesn't make any lore sense but I really love the aesthetics of giant terran planets and such.

No, I don't think gas giant terraforming will ever become possible with this mod. Sorry!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2020, 05:15:35 AM »

gas giant terraforming

Oxymoron! Like "non-alcoholic vodka"!

On the other hand, some gas giants theoretically could be Solarformed (or rather Stellaformed). Still that is a heresy even in a Tzeentch's eyes.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 22, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »

Actually, it's theorized that gas giants may lose their atmospheres and become telluric, and that's exactly what happened to Kazeron in Starsector lore, so terraforming gas giants isn't that absurd of an idea.
Though, that's an endeavor for Kardashev Type II-III civilizations, not for the angry space monkeys in the Persean sector.

Unnamed_Shadow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.3.1)
« Reply #610 on: June 22, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »

Maybe add the option to build a Cloud City on Gas Giants. This would basically reduce the Hazard Rating to 100%

Technically the Syphon Station already serves that purpose. But maybe add an option to upgrade it and actually make it a proper Cloud City, now inside the atmosphere of the Gas Giant, they get more Volatiles as a bonus.

Would be cool, would even allow you to make Gas Giants with bad Volatiles more profitable as they get a small bonus.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »

Maybe add the option to build a Cloud City on Gas Giants. This would basically reduce the Hazard Rating to 100%

Technically the Syphon Station already serves that purpose. But maybe add an option to upgrade it and actually make it a proper Cloud City, now inside the atmosphere of the Gas Giant, they get more Volatiles as a bonus.

Would be cool, would even allow you to make Gas Giants with bad Volatiles more profitable as they get a small bonus.

I considered this, but the problem is that gas giant colonies are already cloud cities, right? Adding some sort of upgrade wouldn't make sense.

The high hazard rating for gas giant colonies would seem to be consistent with the inherent problems a cloud city would face, such as extreme storms, high gravity, keeping a massive city afloat in the atmosphere, keeping the toxic (and possibly corrosive) atmosphere out of the cloud city, hazardous pressure and temperature, poor visibility, etc.

deaxsa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 23, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »

I'm not finding the ability to create arid planets. Desert is available, but not arid.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 23, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »

I'm not finding the ability to create arid planets. Desert is available, but not arid.

I'm unable to replicate this on my system. Did you update to the latest version of the mod?

deaxsa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 23, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »

I'm unable to replicate this on my system. Did you update to the latest version of the mod?

I hadn't, my own fault for not reading the changelog. Thanks. And thanks for the mod, it rocks!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 221