Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070237 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.2.0)
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2020, 02:12:42 PM »

-Research stations. I have no idea what they can do, but it is a cool science stuff. More, if built in different places (magnetic field, corona, event horizon, in a pulsar system) it can do a different cool science stuff.
I like this idea. Right now there isn't a research mechanic in the game, but I will keep this in mind for later if something gets added where it would make sense to have research stations. Perhaps research stations could develop blueprints for certain things? It seems easier to just get the blueprints through raiding right now though.
A station focused on reverse engineering ships to bypass space Denuvo would be pretty cool, actually. It would be a good alternative for those who didn't have any luck with blueprints while exploring, but also didn't want to compromise their standing with the factions by raiding. Just go buy the ship you want to produce, sacrifice it to the researchers, and wait a few months/cycles until they give you the blueprint.
Research stations in magnetic fields or event horizons would seem like good places to re-develop tech for non-makeshift comm relays, nav buoys, and sensor arrays.
And if you don't mind me bringing your terraforming mod into this... I always find it kinda strange that the player is able to build reflectors(Domain-era tech) right from the start. I think it would be cool if you only had makeshift shades/mirrors at first, but could then use research stations in coronas to develop upgrades for them, which would improve the planet's farmland and organics and maybe even add the mild climate condition. Though, I would understand if you want to avoid this level of integration between the two mods.

With regard to researching ship blueprints, players would probably wonder why the research couldn't just be done on a regular colony, possibly by constructing a building there if necessary. I definitely can't create stations to be built in event horizons because the AI doesn't handle black holes very well. Something I'm considering is allowing the player to build research stations around planets known to have xenolife on them - e.g. Typhon and the gas giant with beholder station nearby. I'm not sure if this is something people would want, and players with randomized core worlds couldn't use it.

I like the idea of obtaining Domain-tech buoys, relays and beacons. I'll look into adding those as soon as the gate stuff is finished. It should hopefully be very easy because all the code and art assets already exist. Perhaps I will make them cost Domain artifacts to construct in addition to the usual requirements.

After I finish folding in the gate construction mod to this one, I plan to combine it with the terraforming mod so I can integrate things better. I'm going to make the stellar reflectors (and the planned terraforming stations) cost Domain artifacts to build and maintain, with an option in the settings to disable that industry/commodity if the player wants to. I don't think it makes sense to have the player perform research to obtain reflectors because they could actually be built using current day technology if we had enough money and/or incentives to launch them. Even some of the more exotic terraforming options like crashing water-rich asteroids into a planet are feasible today assuming you have infinite money.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »

because they could actually be built using current day technology

No, they can't. Modern technologies can bring water/air to planets and even slowly move them to other orbits, if you ready to spent ridiculous amount of resources. But those solar reflectors/shades/mirrors are entirely magical. You see, solar light makes an effect called "radiation pressure". NOT a solar wind, which is the particles, you can negate by some king of forcefield. You can not stop radiation anyhow with modern tech. Oh, yes, it is too weak to blow them, even if they are luper-light nano-thing. But it's able to influence they orbits and orientation. Chaotic. Even if you have enough resources to maintain their position and replace damaged, you need a quantum computer larger than Earth to track all that objects, predict their orbits and interaction with celestial bodies, and inner interactions between mirrors, and then calculate correction has to be made to each, and made logistic routes to resupply used resources, and do it in real time. If there are no AI-supercomputer to control that, all that mirrors are no more than kessler-seeds.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »

because they could actually be built using current day technology

No, they can't. Modern technologies can bring water/air to planets and even slowly move them to other orbits, if you ready to spent ridiculous amount of resources. But those solar reflectors/shades/mirrors are entirely magical. You see, solar light makes an effect called "radiation pressure". NOT a solar wind, which is the particles, you can negate by some king of forcefield. You can not stop radiation anyhow with modern tech. Oh, yes, it is too weak to blow them, even if they are luper-light nano-thing. But it's able to influence they orbits and orientation. Chaotic. Even if you have enough resources to maintain their position and replace damaged, you need a quantum computer larger than Earth to track all that objects, predict their orbits and interaction with celestial bodies, and inner interactions between mirrors, and then calculate correction has to be made to each, and made logistic routes to resupply used resources, and do it in real time. If there are no AI-supercomputer to control that, all that mirrors are no more than kessler-seeds.

Modern satellites are able to maintain their position just fine without a quantum computer telling them what maneuvers to make.

Building solar mirrors with modern technology is not only theoretically feasible - it has been done! Only some silly human errors and budget problems caused it to fail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Znamya_(satellite)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »

That is true, but modern satellites are relatively few. And no matter how large solar mirror you are able to construct, you need them like 10^9 or even more. Modern satellites do not interfere with each other, as they are small and too far from each other. You can not position mirrors that far away from each other, as they just stops to do their job. You can adjust trajectory of modern satellites using calculator and a school math, as it basically drives a highway with no traffic. In case of solar mirrors that would be a continuous high-speed traffic jam.

tiago_gomestrf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v4.0.0)
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »

I really like this mod 20/20 and i like to play starsector with random core worlds(nexerelin), and when playing with random core worlds enabled we need to disable the quests in mod settings but i cant find the disable option for the seed lobsters if you could fix that i would be much appreciated.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »

I really like this mod 20/20 and i like to play starsector with random core worlds(nexerelin), and when playing with random core worlds enabled we need to disable the quests in mod settings but i cant find the disable option for the seed lobsters if you could fix that i would be much appreciated.

I'm glad you're enjoying my mods! This mod (station construction) doesn't have the lobster quest integrated yet. You can disable the gate quest using the settings file as indicated in the first post in this thread, and the lobster quest can be disabled in the settings file of my terraforming mod. Let me know if you're unable to find it in the terraforming mod settings file.

Eshir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2020, 05:55:31 PM »

Is there a way to make the gate part work with Active Gates or Gates Awakened? so far i have been able to go from a gates awakened gate to a constructed one (and only one time thats it) but not back the other way and its kinda frustrating. i just want to make a gate and then use it from where i made it to go to the gate network i'm already using. other than that Loveing your mods! thanks!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:05:13 PM by Eshir »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »

Oh dude, you better fix this fast. Terrible things may happen.

I was digging a loot in a high-danger system. It was a mining station, so i scavenged it. "Olympians" modspec looted. Worse thing - it is 0 OP and I can install it basically everywhere.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2020, 04:49:33 AM »

Oh dude, you better fix this fast. Terrible things may happen.

I was digging a loot in a high-danger system. It was a mining station, so i scavenged it. "Olympians" modspec looted. Worse thing - it is 0 OP and I can install it basically everywhere.

Uh-oh. I'll look into this right away. Thanks for letting me know.

Is there a way to make the gate part work with Active Gates or Gates Awakened? so far i have been able to go from a gates awakened gate to a constructed one (and only one time thats it) but not back the other way and its kinda frustrating. i just want to make a gate and then use it from where i made it to go to the gate network i'm already using. other than that Loveing your mods! thanks!

I thought they were compatible, but perhaps something has broken since I implemented it. I'll look into this and fix it. Thanks.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v4.1.0)
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:39 AM »

Couples of things to be told:

1. You adding features faster than most players (including me) able to explore. I am not complaining, it is awesome. You are awesome.

2. I am fine with greek mythology. How the hell the 11 years boys (target audience) able to do the thing if they are not suspecting this thing exist? I predict a half-infinity+1 questions "where is?"

Kobura

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »

Boggled your mods are so good and fulfill such a desired niche in my first game, I made an account just to acquire and praise them. Thank you.
Is there basic documentation for the effect of the siphon or mining station? The comprehensive 'manual' available for your Terraforming mod is great but there's nothing of the sort for the Station Construction :)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »

Boggled your mods are so good and fulfill such a desired niche in my first game, I made an account just to acquire and praise them. Thank you.
Is there basic documentation for the effect of the siphon or mining station? The comprehensive 'manual' available for your Terraforming mod is great but there's nothing of the sort for the Station Construction :)

I thought about whether people would be able to figure out which planet they have to travel to. I think Starsector players are probably much older and much more knowledgeable than you assume. Even if a player isn't aware of Greek mythology, the name of the system they have to travel to should be an enormous clue and they will likely find the right planet by accident just flying around in that system.

Also, the target planet can be found by asking on Discord or looking at the code in the mod files. I didn't make any attempt to obfuscate the name of the planet there.

Lastly, the player can simply disable the quest using the settings file if they want no part of my riddle!

If I do get a large volume of players complaining that they couldn't figure out the quest despite the above, at that time I will revisit how to make it easier.

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying my mods!

I didn't create a comprehensive manual for this mod because I assumed nobody would bother reading it. I guess I was wrong about that! I will add more information for this mod once I finish implementing all the planned features.

In short, mining and siphon stations are full station markets just like the ones present in the vanilla Sector (like Port Tse Franchise Station and Thulian Raider Base). Mining stations have ore and rare ore resources for the mining industry, and siphon stations have volatiles resources equivalent to their host gas giant for the mining industry. The in-game tooltips should be pretty self explanatory about where they can be built - mining stations can be built in asteroid fields and belts, and each gas giant can host a single siphon station. Let me know if you have any specific questions I didn't answer. Thank you!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:46 AM »

Starsector players are probably much older and much more knowledgeable than you assume.

There are probability, you are right. Besides, greek mythology is better than: Ln(e(sin2(pi/2)+cos2(5*pi/2))). I met that in one game.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:39 AM »

I think ill keep my olympian for now lol.....since most of what im fighting is bladebreakers, redacted and 9th....I need an edge.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »

[offtopic]

What is the 9th?

[/offtopic]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 219