Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070178 times)

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.1.1)
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

I've been bugged by the smol station sprites as well. Astropoli are HUGE in comparison on the map, but practically they reach the same size/population. I think it would be safe to simply replace the mining station sprite with the astropolis one. The difference is purely aesthetic though. Perhaps a skilled artist could contribute original and separate sprites for ore and gas stations, as well as astropoli...

Somewhat related: I've noticed a pretty significant issue when turning on the "Cramped Quarters" effect. Though I personally think it should be on by default, as building space stations should be more money and time-consuming than colonizing a planet, when you also turn on the setting for non-player factions (which also makes sense), they all immediately gain negative growth when above size 3.
I'm not saying that the factions should build station expansions the same way the player does; but maybe hardcode  the "Cramped Quarters" setting to be at a certain level of already built expansions to counteract the negative growth for other factions' stations?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:29:32 PM by Kh0rnet »

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2020, 12:46:14 PM »

Negative growth can't reduce the size of a colony, so it doesn't particularly matter. Population progress towards the next size will get down to 0% and then stop.

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »

Negative growth can't reduce the size of a colony, so it doesn't particularly matter. Population progress towards the next size will get down to 0% and then stop.

I... did not know that. The growth in negative numbers kind of implies otherwise. I just assumed logically people would emigrate out of the planet if the conditions are awful.
So the only way to effectively lower a colony's size is saturated bombardment.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »

I've been bugged by the smol station sprites as well. Astropoli are HUGE in comparison on the map, but practically they reach the same size/population. I think it would be safe to simply replace the mining station sprite with the astropolis one. The difference is purely aesthetic though. Perhaps a skilled artist could contribute original and separate sprites for ore and gas stations, as well as astropoli...

I want to keep the mining and siphon stations visually distinct from astropoli, and the sprites do switch to a bigger one if the population gets above a certain size.

If anyone with artistic skills would like to create high resolution, high quality station sprites I would be happy to use them. Keep in mind I would need at least two sprites for each station type (a smaller one and a larger one depending on the market population size).

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2020, 02:15:14 AM »

If you want to make it bigger anyway, you can edit the custom_entities.json to increase the size.

Yup. We need an artist here. No chance to squeeze some potential from a current texture. Too bad I am not an artist and does not know any. :'(

UPD. I might be not an artist, but I am a thief.
Spoiler
[close]
Stolen

[close]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:48:14 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »

If you want to make it bigger anyway, you can edit the custom_entities.json to increase the size.

Yup. We need an artist here. No chance to squeeze some potential from a current texture. Too bad I am not an artist and does not know any. :'(

UPD. I might be not an artist, but I am a thief.
Spoiler
[close]
Stolen

[close]

That looks pretty decent. I'll try it out, and it might make it into the next update!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »

Colors can be changed easily.

[close]

Spoiler
[close]

In fact, I shovel half of the internet. 95% of arts, sprites and textures suitable in style were related to the Starsector itself or to the Stars in shadow. Rest of a 5% mostly awful.

I keep trying, tho.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:14:59 PM by Mondaymonkey »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »

Oh, dude, there are more and more visual problems with stations. For example, here is "Astropolis beta large". It is dark by itself and looks awful if oriented that way to the sun because of shadow.
Spoiler
[close]

Second picture is "renderShadow":false". IMO - it's even worse.

Third picture - is how, I think, it should be looking. Unfortunately it's a photoshop, not modding. I can make a "lights" layer for a texture, but it is impossible to me force game to use it.
Spoiler
[close]

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2020, 12:39:06 PM »

Oh, dude, there are more and more visual problems with stations. For example, here is "Astropolis beta large". It is dark by itself and looks awful if oriented that way to the sun because of shadow.
Spoiler
[close]

Second picture is "renderShadow":false". IMO - it's even worse.

Third picture - is how, I think, it should be looking. Unfortunately it's a photoshop, not modding. I can make a "lights" layer for a texture, but it is impossible to me force game to use it.
Spoiler
[close]

Unfortunately I think my options for dealing with this are very limited. I would have to create a second "ghost" station using a lights texture with renderShadow set to false to have the lights show up even when the station is in shadow.

If you're interested in creating the lights textures, send me a PM. Thanks!

Demilith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.2.0)
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »

Hi,

First of all thank you for your work, been playing non stop for a week and could not go back to vanilla now that I can build stations and terraform!!!

I have a little problem in my current save.
Something is preventing me to build an Astropolis around my capital world, the message is the following :

"An astropolis would be unable to achieve a satisfactory orbit around this world due to other nearby celestial bodies."
Is there something I can do to change that?

Thank you!

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »

Is that planet have a moon?

Demilith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »

No moon, no other planet. Nothing...

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »

No moon, no other planet. Nothing...

Please post a zoomed-out screenshot of the area around the planet, as well as a screenshot of the system map.

The logic that determines whether the orbit path is clear is pretty complicated. One of the factors it checks is whether another planet is orbiting the same focus with a very similar radius. It's possible that the offending planet is far away from your capital world on the other side of the star, but due to their orbit radii being almost the same, it blocks the astropolis.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »

I really don't know if this mod is causing crashes but the first time I enabled it I experienced massive amounts of crashes, second time I enabled it mid-playthrough I started getting null error crashes afterwards, but I'm gonna have to take a guess and chalk it up to this mod. On my current save I crash whenever I try to travel in hyperspace now from Penelope's star through the core worlds.

Spoiler
181406 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.despawn(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.spawnAndDespawn(RouteManager.java:598)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.advance(RouteManager.java:572)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.CoreScript.advance(CoreScript.java:126)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Modlist
Spoiler
Lightshow
Trailer Moments
Appro Light
Arsenal Expansion
Autosave
Boggled Terraforming
Captains Log
Cari's UI
Combat Chatter
Commissioned Crews
Common Radar
Console Commands
ED Shipyard
Gates Awakened
Grand Sector
HMI
Industrial Evolution
Interstellar Imperium
Kadur Remnant
LazyLib
Luddic Enhancement
MagicLib
Mayasuran Navy
More Officer Skills
Nex
Practice Targets
Resist Inspections
Rose Bounty
Ruthless Sector
Sanguinary Anarchist Defectors
Scy
Secrets of the Frontier
Seeker
Shadowyards
Ship/Weapon pack
SkilledUp
SpeedUp
this mod
Tahlan
Underworld
Unknown Skies
Upgraded Rotary Weapons
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack
Weapons Group Controls
ZZ Audio Plus
ZZ Graphicslib
[close]

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »

I really don't know if this mod is causing crashes but the first time I enabled it I experienced massive amounts of crashes, second time I enabled it mid-playthrough I started getting null error crashes afterwards, but I'm gonna have to take a guess and chalk it up to this mod. On my current save I crash whenever I try to travel in hyperspace now from Penelope's star through the core worlds.

Spoiler
181406 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.despawn(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.spawnAndDespawn(RouteManager.java:598)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.advance(RouteManager.java:572)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.CoreScript.advance(CoreScript.java:126)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

Modlist
Spoiler
Lightshow
Trailer Moments
Appro Light
Arsenal Expansion
Autosave
Boggled Terraforming
Captains Log
Cari's UI
Combat Chatter
Commissioned Crews
Common Radar
Console Commands
ED Shipyard
Gates Awakened
Grand Sector
HMI
Industrial Evolution
Interstellar Imperium
Kadur Remnant
LazyLib
Luddic Enhancement
MagicLib
Mayasuran Navy
More Officer Skills
Nex
Practice Targets
Resist Inspections
Rose Bounty
Ruthless Sector
Sanguinary Anarchist Defectors
Scy
Secrets of the Frontier
Seeker
Shadowyards
Ship/Weapon pack
SkilledUp
SpeedUp
this mod
Tahlan
Underworld
Unknown Skies
Upgraded Rotary Weapons
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack
Weapons Group Controls
ZZ Audio Plus
ZZ Graphicslib
[close]

It looks like you're not using player station construction - you only have Boggled's Terraforming Mod as far as my mods go.

Based on that stack trace, I think you're getting that crash because something is iterating through fleets on the campaign layer and removing/despawning one while the iteration is still in progress. None of my mods interact with fleets on the campaign layer or their routes/wayfinding, so I think it's unlikely my mods are the culprit.

I know you indicated that you get the crash when you enable my mod(s). Is the crash reproducible in the same conditions every time, or is it only intermittent? Have you tried starting a new game with only my mod(s) enabled to see if the crash happens right away when you enter hyperspace? Are you using any non-default settings in any of my mods?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:29:28 AM by boggled »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 219