Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070331 times)

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.1)
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:56 AM »

Hello boggled!

Can we tweak some resource requirements for abandoned stations on our own? Because I think the price is too steep to "recolonize" abandoned stations, you can colonize a planet using few resources, abandoned stations should only require some minor maintenance, a few adaptations and money of course, after all, they should be easier to colonize than planets in my opinion, anyone else this this is right?

From a gameplay perspective i think it's made like this for the sake of balance, as to prevent players from having potential access quick colonies.

From a lore perspective, starsector is a world in which people are willing to live in crappy/beat-up stations, that being said, abandoned stations are more resembling a pile of floating scrap than anything actually useful, so i doubt a "minor maintenance" would be enough.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »

Hello boggled!

Can we tweak some resource requirements for abandoned stations on our own? Because I think the price is too steep to "recolonize" abandoned stations, you can colonize a planet using few resources, abandoned stations should only require some minor maintenance, a few adaptations and money of course, after all, they should be easier to colonize than planets in my opinion, anyone else this this is right?

From a gameplay perspective i think it's made like this for the sake of balance, as to prevent players from having potential access quick colonies.

From a lore perspective, starsector is a world in which people are willing to live in crappy/beat-up stations, that being said, abandoned stations are more resembling a pile of floating scrap than anything actually useful, so i doubt a "minor maintenance" would be enough.

My thoughts exactly.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »

So I decided to try this mod out and I just made a mining station only to find that I can't build the Shadowyards orbital station there, I got the blueprint from getting at least welcoming reputation with Shadowyards rather then buying the blueprint for 500K. I poked around the files and I'm not sure why it isn't appearing.

FrackaMir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2020, 03:45:42 AM »

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening but with the latest update, trying to build a Mining Station causes a crash

I've tested this with Siphon Stations and they work fine in the same system, Astropolis also works fine too, but the mining station somehow crashes for some reason

Note that i'm practically using almost all the upto date mods and before this mods update the Mining Station did built like normal

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2020, 06:33:23 AM »

Oooohhh there once was a Textwall called Crimson the red who came from RoquetheRogue to DarkOmegaMK2 and the braggart did swagger and brandish his words and he told of bold ideas and points he had made but then he went quiet did Crimson the Red when he met the Keyword Delete who said: Now I think it's high time you got deleted and bleed

Fair Enough on the minor maintenance, I guess nobody would want to live in a place that's dangerous, unstable and in space.. as in a heap of metal floating around , and we end up having resources at mid game (if the game doesnt crash when saving), however, abandoned stations give you nothing in terms of production as far as I'm aware, so they can end up being more expensive than planets themselves that without the potential of terraforming, unless I'm making a grave mistake, also, most abandoned stations are inside a Faction territory in which you'll end up having to defend against them or pay their tribute, making it more accessible for all it has against seems like a sensible choice in my opinion, but I'll cease this til I find a better reason to convince you and boggled.

by the way, if you use Nex, and do a neutral start, you can take over Garnir in 10 minutes, they always have like 50 ground security and their volatile product is either +2 or +3 always. You can have quick, early colonies.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:22:10 AM by RoquetheRogue »
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2020, 03:19:47 PM »

by the way, if you use Nex, and do a neutral start, you can take over Garnir in 10 minutes, they always have like 50 ground security and their volatile product is either +2 or +3 always. You can have quick, early colonies.

Garnir has 175% hazard and stations have 100% (by default). Also, stations are powerful because they can be located very close to other friendly markets, allowing for overlapping defense fleets that make attackers unlikely to be successful.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2020, 05:40:29 PM »

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening but with the latest update, trying to build a Mining Station causes a crash

I've tested this with Siphon Stations and they work fine in the same system, Astropolis also works fine too, but the mining station somehow crashes for some reason

Note that i'm practically using almost all the upto date mods and before this mods update the Mining Station did built like normal

Can you post the stack trace of the exception from your starsector.log? That way I can figure out what's causing the crash.

So I decided to try this mod out and I just made a mining station only to find that I can't build the Shadowyards orbital station there, I got the blueprint from getting at least welcoming reputation with Shadowyards rather then buying the blueprint for 500K. I poked around the files and I'm not sure why it isn't appearing.

I'm not familiar with the Shadowyards mod. Is the "Shadowyards orbital station" you can't build an industry or something else?

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

The Shadowyards orbital Station is a structure and is a defense station the same as the high/mid/low tech stations.
I just did a quick check and all the other custom structures and industries Shadowyards add do appear in the mining station build menu, only the defense station is missing. I set my rep with them to 0 then back to welcoming as well as manually buying the blueprint and I was still unable to build it at the mining station.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:49:25 PM by Spess Mahren »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »

The Shadowyards orbital Station is a structure and is a defense station the same as the high/mid/low tech stations.
I just did a quick check and all the other custom structures and industries Shadowyards add do appear in the mining station build menu, only the defense station is missing. I set my rep with them to 0 then back to welcoming as well as manually buying the blueprint and I was still unable to build it at the mining station.

I just reviewed the code for the Shadowyards orbital station and it appears that it can't be built on any station market, including vanilla stations and stations created using my mods. You'll need to address this with the developer of Shadowyards to see if it's a bug or intended.

The Shadowyards source code is public, so if they don't want to make it buildable on station markets you can make the change yourself on your copy of the mod.

huangjunhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »

Can I localize this mod?
Make only textual changes

X1Alpha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.0)
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »

This is a really cool mod, awesome concept!

My suggestion would be to lower the cost to around 300,000 initially, but then have to pay more credits to expand the station's max size every time the population reaches 100% for the current size, or else have the station remain the same size. I'm not sure how easy that would be to code, but I think it would make it a little more accessible without making it overpowered and lore breaking, since you'd need to invest more resources to grow it over time. It would also keep said station from growing from a few dozen people to greater than the current population of earth all on it's own, which would be a little bit ridiculous.

I've seen a lot of discussion on the balance of this mod and while my experience with the game is limited there might be a way to deliver a scaling cost to these stations, making them cheap to initially build but require a serious investment to get them to the same level as vanilla stations.

Assuming you want to balance the cost, hazard rating and maximum size, give stations a set of unique conditions. One could increase the hazard rating, another to limit their maximum size, then create unique structures akin to the "Military Police Headquarters" from your terraforming mod that changes the condition (with one increasing maximum size and another reducing the hazard rating). If done in simple increments, say starting at 200 hazard rating, then going to 150 then to 100, and the size limit going from say 4 to 7 to 10 (best would be to make these configurable like you did with the other modifiers, so players can balance them, or have the option to disable them completely); Then you could meet most peoples desires, by giving these buildings a good cost in terms of credits and resources it allows you to make them both easy to set up, but require a significant investment to get them to the scale of a planet.

Physically speaking for the size it would make sense that only the initial infrastructure is shipped in the beginning. When comparing them to existing projects (the ISS or any other proposed space station) it's generally a better idea to build enough infrastructure for the current project and the immediate future. As for the hazard rating, you could take it as the station being fitted with the necessary equipment to survive the particulars of that orbit (maybe the local star has a tendency to project small solar flares that wasn't taken into account on the design of the station or the local magnetosphere is much stronger than expected).

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2020, 04:45:38 PM »

This is a really cool mod, awesome concept!

My suggestion would be to lower the cost to around 300,000 initially, but then have to pay more credits to expand the station's max size every time the population reaches 100% for the current size, or else have the station remain the same size. I'm not sure how easy that would be to code, but I think it would make it a little more accessible without making it overpowered and lore breaking, since you'd need to invest more resources to grow it over time. It would also keep said station from growing from a few dozen people to greater than the current population of earth all on it's own, which would be a little bit ridiculous.

I've seen a lot of discussion on the balance of this mod and while my experience with the game is limited there might be a way to deliver a scaling cost to these stations, making them cheap to initially build but require a serious investment to get them to the same level as vanilla stations.

Assuming you want to balance the cost, hazard rating and maximum size, give stations a set of unique conditions. One could increase the hazard rating, another to limit their maximum size, then create unique structures akin to the "Military Police Headquarters" from your terraforming mod that changes the condition (with one increasing maximum size and another reducing the hazard rating). If done in simple increments, say starting at 200 hazard rating, then going to 150 then to 100, and the size limit going from say 4 to 7 to 10 (best would be to make these configurable like you did with the other modifiers, so players can balance them, or have the option to disable them completely); Then you could meet most peoples desires, by giving these buildings a good cost in terms of credits and resources it allows you to make them both easy to set up, but require a significant investment to get them to the scale of a planet.

Physically speaking for the size it would make sense that only the initial infrastructure is shipped in the beginning. When comparing them to existing projects (the ISS or any other proposed space station) it's generally a better idea to build enough infrastructure for the current project and the immediate future. As for the hazard rating, you could take it as the station being fitted with the necessary equipment to survive the particulars of that orbit (maybe the local star has a tendency to project small solar flares that wasn't taken into account on the design of the station or the local magnetosphere is much stronger than expected).

Many of those features already exist! You can use the settings file to control the hazard rating of stations, and you can enable the "Cramped Quarters" condition to place a soft cap on station size. As I indicated in another post, I don't want to implement paying money to increase maximum station size because I think this will create a lot of confusion and it would be difficult to communicate to the player how the system works.

Can I localize this mod?
Make only textual changes

Yes! If you need the source code, here is a link: https://github.com/boggled-starsector/boggled_station_construction/raw/master/Boggled%20Station%20Construction%20Source.zip
Please let me know if you need anything further to complete the localization. When you're finished, I could add a link in the main post to your localized version if you wish.

huangjunhao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »

I have done localization, just asking if you allow me to publish
Uh, Chinese version
I think you may not need my publishing address

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2020, 06:44:44 AM »

I have done localization, just asking if you allow me to publish
Uh, Chinese version
I think you may not need my publishing address

Ok, you have my permission to release the localized version. Thank you!

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »

You could allow for colonization of "terribly damaged stations" but put a colony condition on there of "terribly damaged station" of +400% hazard, and have to do something like a year long restoration(totally not terraforming) structure that requires a constant supply of machinery/metals/plutonics/etc for a year.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:16:33 PM by ZeCaptain »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 219