Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070452 times)

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.0)
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2020, 04:17:11 AM »

Can I get a link for the gate construction mod, please?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »

No, that is certainly not intended. I know this bug happens if the player doesn't view/interact with a colony very soon after creating the market, which is why I have the colony management screen open automatically when a station completes construction.

Did the colony interaction menu pop up like usual after each astropolis completed? Is the bug reproducible, or did it only happen that one time and you can't repeat it?

I will try to reproduce it a few times to help you out. I don't remember what else I was doing on my PC at the time. Could have been YT, programming, etc. that took my focus away for quite some time.

On a separate but related note, are there any plans to add a setting allowing the player to modify the build timer per station? There could also possibly be a cooldown period between building stations and a setting for that. It seems reasonable that building such a massive station would require a considerable logistic effort to undertake and would require a cooldown. Lastly, for the sake of choice, it would be neat to modify the number of stations per orbit as well through a setting. Thanks for reading.

Were you using any console commands around the time the bug the occurred, or to construct/modify the astropoli? If you're able to find a way to reproduce it, I can investigate, but without that it's very hard to determine the root cause.

Ideally stations would be "under construction" for a period of time during which the player can't build more, but I don't have a quality sprite for a station that's under construction so I don't think I can implement this right now.

I like the idea of having a setting to change the number of stations that can be built, especially for astropoli. I'll look into implementing this.

Can I get a link for the gate construction mod, please?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17543.0

Baleg Qhan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2020, 04:12:03 AM »

No, that is certainly not intended. I know this bug happens if the player doesn't view/interact with a colony very soon after creating the market, which is why I have the colony management screen open automatically when a station completes construction.

Did the colony interaction menu pop up like usual after each astropolis completed? Is the bug reproducible, or did it only happen that one time and you can't repeat it?

I will try to reproduce it a few times to help you out. I don't remember what else I was doing on my PC at the time. Could have been YT, programming, etc. that took my focus away for quite some time.

On a separate but related note, are there any plans to add a setting allowing the player to modify the build timer per station? There could also possibly be a cooldown period between building stations and a setting for that. It seems reasonable that building such a massive station would require a considerable logistic effort to undertake and would require a cooldown. Lastly, for the sake of choice, it would be neat to modify the number of stations per orbit as well through a setting. Thanks for reading.
[/quote]

Ideally stations would be "under construction" for a period of time during which the player can't build more, but I don't have a quality sprite for a station that's under construction so I don't think I can implement this right now.

I like the idea of having a setting to change the number of stations that can be built, especially for astropoli. I'll look into implementing this.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17543.0
[/quote]

Did you see the question about build timer, too? I don't think you addressed it.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »

Did you see the question about build timer, too? I don't think you addressed it.

I don't think I can add a build/construction timer for mining and siphon stations due to the lack of a sprite, but I may be able to change the build time for astropoli. I'll look into it.

If you simply want to increase the cooldown of the abilities that construct mining and siphon stations, that can be done easily by the player using the abilities.csv file without my needing to implement an option in the settings file.

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 05:24:51 PM »

This is a really cool mod, awesome concept!

My suggestion would be to lower the cost to around 300,000 initially, but then have to pay more credits to expand the station's max size every time the population reaches 100% for the current size, or else have the station remain the same size. I'm not sure how easy that would be to code, but I think it would make it a little more accessible without making it overpowered and lore breaking, since you'd need to invest more resources to grow it over time. It would also keep said station from growing from a few dozen people to greater than the current population of earth all on it's own, which would be a little bit ridiculous.
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »

This is a really cool mod, awesome concept!

My suggestion would be to lower the cost to around 300,000 initially, but then have to pay more credits to expand the station's max size every time the population reaches 100% for the current size, or else have the station remain the same size. I'm not sure how easy that would be to code, but I think it would make it a little more accessible without making it overpowered and lore breaking, since you'd need to invest more resources to grow it over time. It would also keep said station from growing from a few dozen people to greater than the current population of earth all on it's own, which would be a little bit ridiculous.

With the way the UI is set up I can't think of a good way for the player to interact with a mechanic where they pay credits to increase the max station population cap. If I add it to the dialog tree when you interact with a station, many players won't become aware of it and it would be cumbersome to use.

Increasing the size of the station might actually be profitable for the player if they're adding on habitat space and then selling the apartments/residences to people.

If you want to nerf the power level and/or growth of stations, I implemented a bunch of options in the settings file that allow you to do just that.

arknok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v3.0.1)
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2020, 11:42:49 PM »

so i was wondering, why cant you put a siphon station on a brown dwarf? they are defind as a really big gas giant that is slightly too small to ignite into a full star.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »

so i was wondering, why cant you put a siphon station on a brown dwarf? they are defind as a really big gas giant that is slightly too small to ignite into a full star.

In Starsector brown dwarfs are considered stars. They cannot be colonized and have a corona that prevents the player from approaching. Therefore they are not appropriate sites for siphon station construction.

arknok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »

cool. thanks. ;D

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »

Greetings boggled!

Have you ever considered adding megastructures? sorry if this was already asked!
here are a few ideas! hope these can inspire you!
note: has PS (has player storage)

Here's some Mad Science Projects:
Q.G.B has PS, Quadrant Gridlock Bastion (a minor fort that watches traffic around the system and creates a unique patrol that improves the safety around the system, kinda like a independent market with a defense station, patrol HQ, but minor and can be build near planets or in a Stable Location, has moderate CRED and resource upkeep needs hulls, supplies and fuel) improves stability at the cost of some accessbility, decreases neutral and enemy fleets burn rates, increases burn rates for it's own faction

W.A.S has PS, Warp-Accelerator Station, (nulls the supply and fuel costs of using warp points in the system, built in Warp-Points has a storage for player use) think of it like a tollbooth, a gate to the system, can be closed if ordered, but the System's Star Warp Point remains, could be a tactical choice, imagine if we could monetize that as well ;D

E.T.P.P has PS, Experimental Translocator Phase Project (similar to your gate mods, but it has a 1 and half month cooldown, requires raw volatiles to activate, needs another ETPP as a target, reduces CR after use, can break down and send the fleet to a system close to the target location, in which case the ETPP will require repairs to be activated again, unreliable, but teleportation nonetheless) Does not break down if both ETBP are build and used in the same star system,

O.S.F.T has PS, Obsfucator Stealth Field Transmitter (It helps hide faction ships profile in the system, throws a shadow on them, has a huge radious and upkeep cost, needs a supply of volatiles to work 100%, else 50% of the shadow efficiency)

E.N.O.S, Experimental Neutrino Observator Satellite has PS, (Consumes volatiles to increase radar detection in the entire system with a near perfect range, can breakdown and cause eletromagnetic burst to all ships in the system, causing loses in CR, but hey, nothing good is free) except for ingame stable location buildings grrrrr.. 

S.C.H.S, Star Collector Hoarding Station has PS, (basically a solar powered structure around a star that collects volatiles and refines them into fuel, stores them for PC use, has moderate CRED upkeep, one per system)

D. H. M Drone Hive Manufactory has PS, (a Drone Constructor building that uses a NanoForge and a Beta Core to construct autonomous AI Robot carrier fleets that protect the system, Salvage level, has moderate CRED upkeep, has metals, transplutonics and heavy weaponry demands to build robo-fleets) can be upgraded to Remnant Level with Alpha Cores, to produce Remnant fleets with a hefty cost, has a chance to spawn... AI captains, this building has the unfortunate chance to break down.. and cause hostile fleets to spawn and wreak havoc

P.D Personal Dominion (basically, this is a station/colony that can teleport itself via Beacons and defend when attacked, has storage, has a huge CRED upkeep, has it's own unique built-in OSFT, ETPP, ENOS and DHM inside, these beacons could be a ability that once activated triggers the Phase Tanslocator inside the P.D to make it teleport to the Beacon Location after a few days.. or even months, it needs a Alpha Core, NanoForge and material demands met to work 100%, costs 100 Volatiles to use the ETPP, can breakdown and cause EM burst in the system when it finally reaches it's beacon target reducing the CR of everything in it location, require repairs in case of breakdown, it is also a fort station that can defend itself with drone fighters and can spawn robot fleets in the system it is currently if the DHM requirements are met, reduces profile of friendly fleets, increases radar detection ranges, yes it does overlap some buildings, but it is a bit costly to keep this Dominions running smoothly, however with the chances of breakdowns, upkeep costs it can be very balanced to build it and keep it, when it attracts undue attention it can just Teleport somewhere else, robotic fleets built by the P.D's DHM get destroyed when the P.D leaves the system they're in, it's a basically a moveable-player house with turrets and sentries, imagine teleporting those in a system you're about  to conquer/raid, it can be destroyed by the Enemy Factions as if it was a Pirate/pather Hideout, the P.D beacons also have a recall function for player fleets, consumes volatiles to do so and reduces CR after use

Hopefully these ideas can inspire you to keep on modding and improving this mod, and thank you again for your time and hard work on this masterpiece mod.
A mind that opens itself to a new idea never returns to it's original size.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »

Greetings boggled!

Have you ever considered adding megastructures? sorry if this was already asked!
here are a few ideas! hope these can inspire you!
note: has PS (has player storage)

Here's some Mad Science Projects:
Q.G.B has PS, Quadrant Gridlock Bastion (a minor fort that watches traffic around the system and creates a unique patrol that improves the safety around the system, kinda like a independent market with a defense station, patrol HQ, but minor and can be build near planets or in a Stable Location, has moderate CRED and resource upkeep needs hulls, supplies and fuel) improves stability at the cost of some accessbility, decreases neutral and enemy fleets burn rates, increases burn rates for it's own faction

W.A.S has PS, Warp-Accelerator Station, (nulls the supply and fuel costs of using warp points in the system, built in Warp-Points has a storage for player use) think of it like a tollbooth, a gate to the system, can be closed if ordered, but the System's Star Warp Point remains, could be a tactical choice, imagine if we could monetize that as well ;D

E.T.P.P has PS, Experimental Translocator Phase Project (similar to your gate mods, but it has a 1 and half month cooldown, requires raw volatiles to activate, needs another ETPP as a target, reduces CR after use, can break down and send the fleet to a system close to the target location, in which case the ETPP will require repairs to be activated again, unreliable, but teleportation nonetheless) Does not break down if both ETBP are build and used in the same star system,

O.S.F.T has PS, Obsfucator Stealth Field Transmitter (It helps hide faction ships profile in the system, throws a shadow on them, has a huge radious and upkeep cost, needs a supply of volatiles to work 100%, else 50% of the shadow efficiency)

E.N.O.S, Experimental Neutrino Observator Satellite has PS, (Consumes volatiles to increase radar detection in the entire system with a near perfect range, can breakdown and cause eletromagnetic burst to all ships in the system, causing loses in CR, but hey, nothing good is free) except for ingame stable location buildings grrrrr.. 

S.C.H.S, Star Collector Hoarding Station has PS, (basically a solar powered structure around a star that collects volatiles and refines them into fuel, stores them for PC use, has moderate CRED upkeep, one per system)

D. H. M Drone Hive Manufactory has PS, (a Drone Constructor building that uses a NanoForge and a Beta Core to construct autonomous AI Robot carrier fleets that protect the system, Salvage level, has moderate CRED upkeep, has metals, transplutonics and heavy weaponry demands to build robo-fleets) can be upgraded to Remnant Level with Alpha Cores, to produce Remnant fleets with a hefty cost, has a chance to spawn... AI captains, this building has the unfortunate chance to break down.. and cause hostile fleets to spawn and wreak havoc

P.D Personal Dominion (basically, this is a station/colony that can teleport itself via Beacons and defend when attacked, has storage, has a huge CRED upkeep, has it's own unique built-in OSFT, ETPP, ENOS and DHM inside, these beacons could be a ability that once activated triggers the Phase Tanslocator inside the P.D to make it teleport to the Beacon Location after a few days.. or even months, it needs a Alpha Core, NanoForge and material demands met to work 100%, costs 100 Volatiles to use the ETPP, can breakdown and cause EM burst in the system when it finally reaches it's beacon target reducing the CR of everything in it location, require repairs in case of breakdown, it is also a fort station that can defend itself with drone fighters and can spawn robot fleets in the system it is currently if the DHM requirements are met, reduces profile of friendly fleets, increases radar detection ranges, yes it does overlap some buildings, but it is a bit costly to keep this Dominions running smoothly, however with the chances of breakdowns, upkeep costs it can be very balanced to build it and keep it, when it attracts undue attention it can just Teleport somewhere else, robotic fleets built by the P.D's DHM get destroyed when the P.D leaves the system they're in, it's a basically a moveable-player house with turrets and sentries, imagine teleporting those in a system you're about  to conquer/raid, it can be destroyed by the Enemy Factions as if it was a Pirate/pather Hideout, the P.D beacons also have a recall function for player fleets, consumes volatiles to do so and reduces CR after use

Hopefully these ideas can inspire you to keep on modding and improving this mod, and thank you again for your time and hard work on this masterpiece mod.

While these ideas are interesting, they seem to be outside the scope of this mod, which focuses on allowing the player to create station types that already exist in vanilla Starsector.

I'm glad you're enjoying my mod. Thanks for your kind words!

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »

While these ideas are interesting, they seem to be outside the scope of this mod, which focuses on allowing the player to create station types that already exist in vanilla Starsector.

I'm glad you're enjoying my mod. Thanks for your kind words!

Happy to contribute in anyway I can, and I agree, while they are not buildings in game.. though, I can see them being plausible using player jury-rigged technologies discovered by tech-mining and exploring the Sectors, improving on the existing stations and satellites functions, similar to the Planetary Shield?  I guess this does warrant it's own mod, they could end up being superfluous as a addition to this mod, but they would also be Player made Constructions, since you're the authority on these brand of mods, based on your Gate, Terraform and Station Construction Mods, I knew you'd like 'em  :D

Sidestrafe2462

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »

"You will have to add the ability to your ability bar to trigger it."
What does this mean? how do I do this?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »

"You will have to add the ability to your ability bar to trigger it."
What does this mean? how do I do this?

You have a bar with abilities on it in the bottom center of your screen. If you make sure the little box next to "Lock" in the bottom right corner of the bar is unchecked, you can right click on the slots on the ability bar to select a new ability to place in the slot. Use this method to place the abilities from my mod into a slot so they can be clicked.

RoquetheRogue

• Commander
  • personal text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »

Hello boggled!

Can we tweak some resource requirements for abandoned stations on our own? Because I think the price is too steep to "recolonize" abandoned stations, you can colonize a planet using few resources, abandoned stations should only require some minor maintenance, a few adaptations and money of course, after all, they should be easier to colonize than planets in my opinion, anyone else this this is right?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 219