Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070688 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v2.4.0)
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »

This looks to be the next mod i add to my next game. Question though. Could you add a config option to cap station size? I realize you don't want to step on anyone's toes, but giving us the option to do so if we wanted would be nice.

Yeah, I think this is doable. I will try to implement a population cap setting as well as a hazard rating setting since that is a highly suggested balance change as well.

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »

Thank you. Low gravity or making stations consume a lot more supplies to account for lifesupport needs might be an idea.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »

Thank you. Low gravity or making stations consume a lot more supplies to account for lifesupport needs might be an idea.

Most of the stations in Starsector appear to be shaped in such a way that rotation could generate artificial gravity for the inhabitants. This would mostly negate the detrimental effects associated with zero gravity. For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_wheel_space_station

Consuming extra resources to account for life support and other difficulties of operating a space station is interesting, but I'm not sure how I could implement this in a way that makes it clear to the player that this is happening and why. I don't want to create too much complexity or player confusion. Besides, increasing the hazard rating for stations essentially accomplishes this within the established game mechanics.

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »

Using Nexerelin's outposts and this mod, I was able to do this:
Spoiler

[close]
These are all functional colonies despite the name.
I did this by making alot of outposts and using the "Colonize Abandoned Station" ability on them. You can probably get an infinite amount of colonies in a single system this way provided you have the resources.
The ability says something like "cannot colonize due to major faction controlling station" when near a Nexerelin outpost but allows you to activate it and colonize anyway. Do you plan on doing anything about this?

Donahue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »

I have a slight problem.  I colonized the abandoned terraforming platform in Corvus. Initially, I remembered that when I docked there, the comms directory (1) would have NPCs in them.  After a few save and reload, they all seems to have disappeared...How could I get them back?...Or did I remember wrong and they never had NPCs...?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »

Using Nexerelin's outposts and this mod, I was able to do this:
Spoiler

[close]
These are all functional colonies despite the name.
I did this by making alot of outposts and using the "Colonize Abandoned Station" ability on them. You can probably get an infinite amount of colonies in a single system this way provided you have the resources.
The ability says something like "cannot colonize due to major faction controlling station" when near a Nexerelin outpost but allows you to activate it and colonize anyway. Do you plan on doing anything about this?

This is unintended! My next patch will fix this problem. Thanks for letting me know about this!

I have a slight problem.  I colonized the abandoned terraforming platform in Corvus. Initially, I remembered that when I docked there, the comms directory (1) would have NPCs in them.  After a few save and reload, they all seems to have disappeared...How could I get them back?...Or did I remember wrong and they never had NPCs...?

Sometimes smaller markets don't have any NPCs in the comm directory. It's random. If you have Nex installed, the secretary should always be there though.

Donahue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »

Sometimes smaller markets don't have any NPCs in the comm directory. It's random. If you have Nex installed, the secretary should always be there though.

What is considered a "small" market? What is a Nex?  I have installed an administrator there...At least that person should show up on the comms no?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »

What is considered a "small" market? What is a Nex?  I have installed an administrator there...At least that person should show up on the comms no?

Markets start at size 3 when first founded, which is very small. As they become larger over time, the chance characters will appear in the comm directory increases.

Nex is Nexerelin, a major mod that is very popular and makes significant changes to how markets work.

I just tested it, and it appears that regardless of whether or not Nex is installed, your administrator does not appear as a contact on the comm directory. If Nex is installed, a secretary always appears in the comm directory whether or not you have an administrator at the planet.

hollow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »

nice mod idea!!!

tho I'm having problems of it not appearing in my mod list when I start the launcher
if there is a solution ill be thankful

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »

Look in the folder you extracted. If there is a folder in there with the mod's name move it to the mods folder.

hollow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »

na I opened the file its just like any other mod folder

hollow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2020, 05:08:31 PM »

never mind i solved the issue   :D

Seldion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 11:39:00 PM »

First off, love the mod, only played around with it with cheats and such as I haven't gotten far enough to do it lagit.

I know that they have a mod out there that adds the ability to make orbital habitats but I don't like all the other features that it adds so I was wondering if you'd add the option to make them or maybe give the option to add a station that mines the planets as well, that would be great.

taerkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2020, 06:34:41 AM »

Consuming extra resources to account for life support and other difficulties of operating a space station is interesting, but I'm not sure how I could implement this in a way that makes it clear to the player that this is happening and why. I don't want to create too much complexity or player confusion. Besides, increasing the hazard rating for stations essentially accomplishes this within the established game mechanics.

Give them a requirement of organics and heavy machinery that grows with the size of the station, if possible? Maybe even 1:1 with size?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »

First off, love the mod, only played around with it with cheats and such as I haven't gotten far enough to do it lagit.

I know that they have a mod out there that adds the ability to make orbital habitats but I don't like all the other features that it adds so I was wondering if you'd add the option to make them or maybe give the option to add a station that mines the planets as well, that would be great.

If you let me know which mod you're referring to, I can take a look at their implementation of orbital habitats to see if it's something I might want to add.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 219