Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1070545 times)

Codyrex123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v2.1.0)
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2019, 07:47:10 AM »

If the size was to be limited strictly for this mod's stations, I feel there should be a way to bypass/remove such a condition eventually, whether or not that requires a specific skill in like, industry or something, or just lots and lots of money and resources is beyond me, but hard limits on things that theoretically already capable in the universe of the game just because 'the player' digs into me a little!
I don't deny its funny to think a station thats orbiting a gas giant though has more people living on it then a wealthy, if harsh, barren mining planet would! Maybe the station can grow bigger (if its possible to change token sizes on campaign map after the token has been added...) on the campaign map to at least give a feeling that 'yeah maybe several million people can live on here.'

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2019, 04:02:08 PM »

If the size was to be limited strictly for this mod's stations, I feel there should be a way to bypass/remove such a condition eventually, whether or not that requires a specific skill in like, industry or something, or just lots and lots of money and resources is beyond me, but hard limits on things that theoretically already capable in the universe of the game just because 'the player' digs into me a little!
I don't deny its funny to think a station thats orbiting a gas giant though has more people living on it then a wealthy, if harsh, barren mining planet would! Maybe the station can grow bigger (if its possible to change token sizes on campaign map after the token has been added...) on the campaign map to at least give a feeling that 'yeah maybe several million people can live on here.'

Changing the station sprite based on the size of the market would have the same "ghost planet" problem as with terraforming. It's a good idea but I don't think it will work because of technical reasons.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion:

The possibility of having an ability to remove abandoned stations. This is because if a planet or a stand alone station becomes decivilized they will leave their "corpse" hanging around forever which can be used as storage or you can rebuild it for a new station, but if i want to, for example, recolonize Chicomoztoc and want to build astropolis and everything on it, the Aztlan Starport might still be there. (i say "might" because i actually haven't tested it.)

Thanks!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

I'd like to make a suggestion:

The possibility of having an ability to remove abandoned stations. This is because if a planet or a stand alone station becomes decivilized they will leave their "corpse" hanging around forever which can be used as storage or you can rebuild it for a new station, but if i want to, for example, recolonize Chicomoztoc and want to build astropolis and everything on it, the Aztlan Starport might still be there. (i say "might" because i actually haven't tested it.)

Thanks!

This is interesting but the main problem I see is if the player gets resources for scrapping stations, it would incentivize scrapping every abandoned station the player encounters. I think this would detract from the gameplay experience because the player would then miss out on the lore/story of those stations. It also doesn't explain why the NPCs haven't scrapped them if there are usable resources present. If the player doesn't get resources for scrapping stations, then what's the point?

I'm not sure about Aztlan Starport but I think there's a bug with Jangala and Garnir where their stations become a separate market if the planet becomes abandoned. However, this is not a community bugfixing mod so I don't want to go outside my scope to address that issue.

If the purpose of scrapping stations is to make it possible to uninstall mods that create stations from a save in progress, I don't it would actually work, especially if the mods have other features beyond creating stations.

Bunkeror

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »

Hello Boggled! I just installed this mod and I find the concept amazing, but there are some things on it I'd like to suggest.

I think Astropolis should be part of the colony, rather than a somehow independent one. Perhaps increasing population growth (like, you can create an astropolis orbiting a gas giant and pop growth would be more "normal" (rather than "nobody wants to live in a gas giant, ewww), accessibility or even each one adding a new industry slot to the colony they're orbiting. But right now, it feels weird that they act like separate colonies that just add a market.

(Also, probably taking into account the lack of an atmosphere, hazard could be higher than 100%).

Also, is it possible to increase the mining station's visibility/size? Right now, imo, they're too small and are hard to see between the asteroids.

Is there a way to add "active mining station" to the name, too, to distinguish them from the vanilla abandoned ones?

Thanks in advance for your time! What do you think?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »

Hello Boggled! I just installed this mod and I find the concept amazing, but there are some things on it I'd like to suggest.

I think Astropolis should be part of the colony, rather than a somehow independent one. Perhaps increasing population growth (like, you can create an astropolis orbiting a gas giant and pop growth would be more "normal" (rather than "nobody wants to live in a gas giant, ewww), accessibility or even each one adding a new industry slot to the colony they're orbiting. But right now, it feels weird that they act like separate colonies that just add a market.

(Also, probably taking into account the lack of an atmosphere, hazard could be higher than 100%).

Also, is it possible to increase the mining station's visibility/size? Right now, imo, they're too small and are hard to see between the asteroids.

Is there a way to add "active mining station" to the name, too, to distinguish them from the vanilla abandoned ones?

Thanks in advance for your time! What do you think?

I'm currently working on an update that will replace the tiny mining and siphon station sprites with larger ones. Valid point!

I don't want to change the hazard rating as that is the default for all stations, not just the ones from this mod. If you have Nex installed you can take over the vanilla 100% hazard stations.

If the astropoli added additional industry slots and increased colony growth rate, it wouldn't actually be a huge change because their markets function as additional industry slots and population in their current form. Another problem is that the UI is designed for twelve or less buildings/industries per market (this may be changing in a future version of Starsector) so adding additional slots would make the UI experience very bad right now.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 08:59:12 PM »

This is interesting but the main problem I see is if the player gets resources for scrapping stations, it would incentivize scrapping every abandoned station the player encounters. I think this would detract from the gameplay experience because the player would then miss out on the lore/story of those stations. It also doesn't explain why the NPCs haven't scrapped them if there are usable resources present. If the player doesn't get resources for scrapping stations, then what's the point?

I'm not sure about Aztlan Starport but I think there's a bug with Jangala and Garnir where their stations become a separate market if the planet becomes abandoned. However, this is not a community bugfixing mod so I don't want to go outside my scope to address that issue.

If the purpose of scrapping stations is to make it possible to uninstall mods that create stations from a save in progress, I don't it would actually work, especially if the mods have other features beyond creating stations.

Clearly i failed to explain myself properly, so i'll use a visual example to explain my point:

This is Chicomoztoc recolonized after being decivilized, notice that everything is built on but the corpse of Aztlan Spaceport stills hangs around serving literally no purpose anymore.

The whole point of this is that it looks ugly and it would be nice to have an option to do something about it since the mod deals with space stations. Of course, i could repopulate it, but what if i don't want to? what if i just want it gone for good?

I hope i got my point across well enough, if you think it's not an issue, then i will not push this anymore.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:06:51 PM by DarkOmegaMK2 »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »

Clearly i failed to explain myself properly, so i'll use a visual example to explain my point:

This is Chicomoztoc recolonized after being decivilized, notice that everything is built on but the corpse of Aztlan Spaceport stills hangs around serving literally no purpose anymore.

The whole point of this is that it looks ugly and it would be nice to have an option to do something about it since the mod deals with space stations. Of course, i could repopulate it, but what if i don't want to? what if i just want it gone for good?

I hope i got my point across well enough, if you think it's not an issue, then i will not push this anymore.

This is clearly a bug and it's a problem I've also encountered with other planets (ex. Jangala and Garnir). However, this bug exists whether or not you have my mod(s) installed. Fixing vanilla bugs is outside the scope of this mod so I won't be attempting to fix this in my mod.

However, since this is a pretty easy issue to resolve, here is some code to fix it for you:
Code
runcode Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet().getStarSystem().removeEntity(Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet().getStarSystem().getEntityById("aztlan_starport"));
With the console commands mod, just paste in my code and hit enter while you're inside the Aztlan system and it will delete the Aztlan Starport for you. This will also work for any other station assuming you replace the Aztlan Starport ID with the ID of the station you want to delete and travel to the system it's located in. Please let me know if this works for you!

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »

This is clearly a bug and it's a problem I've also encountered with other planets (ex. Jangala and Garnir). However, this bug exists whether or not you have my mod(s) installed. Fixing vanilla bugs is outside the scope of this mod so I won't be attempting to fix this in my mod.

However, since this is a pretty easy issue to resolve, here is some code to fix it for you:
Code
runcode Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet().getStarSystem().removeEntity(Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet().getStarSystem().getEntityById("aztlan_starport"));
With the console commands mod, just paste in my code and hit enter while you're inside the Aztlan system and it will delete the Aztlan Starport for you. This will also work for any other station assuming you replace the Aztlan Starport ID with the ID of the station you want to delete and travel to the system it's located in. Please let me know if this works for you!

Alright thanks for the tip.

Just for the record, I never implied this was a bug caused by your mod (i don't know what i said that made you get that impression), i was just exposing it as an issue in general.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »

Just for the record, I never implied this was a bug caused by your mod (i don't know what i said that made you get that impression), i was just exposing it as an issue in general.

By reporting the bug in this thread, you implicitly accused boggled of causing it. Since it's a vanilla bug, you should create a thread in the Bug Reports subforum.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »

By reporting the bug in this thread, you implicitly accused boggled of causing it. Since it's a vanilla bug, you should create a thread in the Bug Reports subforum.

That's pretty rude and uncalled for.

My first post literally starts with "i'd like to make a suggestion" no "i'd like to report a bug caused by your mod".

But i'll drop the subject right now, thanks for your responses the two of you, and have a nice day.  :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:00:55 PM by DarkOmegaMK2 »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2019, 10:50:23 AM »

Turns out I was wrong and the "ghost planet" problem can be avoided with stations. The station token now changes size based on the size of the market as you suggested. Enjoy!

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Player Station Construction (v2.4.0)
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »

Mods like this are exactly the reason i look at the experimental mods listings, this changes everything (actually is should clarify: i found the link back to this moved post from there, i realize it's in the stable modding area now)
"Someone else might have wept or screamed in frustration or even given up right there and perished. But I didn't have the right to do any of those things, not while my people were in danger. Like it or not, I would have to explore this harsh world on my own."

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 03:45:22 PM »

Mods like this are exactly the reason i look at the experimental mods listings, this changes everything (actually is should clarify: i found the link back to this moved post from there, i realize it's in the stable modding area now)

Thank you for your kind words!

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »

This looks to be the next mod i add to my next game. Question though. Could you add a config option to cap station size? I realize you don't want to step on anyone's toes, but giving us the option to do so if we wanted would be nice.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 219