Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 219

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.7)  (Read 1071718 times)

YourLocalMairaaboo

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.1.6)
« Reply #2235 on: December 04, 2022, 01:18:30 PM »

Hey, boggled. Bad news. Using your mod and Illustrated Entities at the same time, then building astropoli on two planets in the same system, breaks the system used for planet description changes. Not sure what end causes the bug, but now I can't change the descriptions of Ithaca's astropoli, only the ones on Telephilus.

Wow, I had no idea that mod existed. It looks awesome!

I'll take a look and try to fix the issue. I've been very busy recently but I'm going to try to release an update before the end of the year to fix this and also the other compatibility issues that came up.
Yes, yes it does. And its relevance for games with your mod is obvious.
Thanks!

BladedQueen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 04, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »

Would it be possible to add Terran Eccentric and Unknown Skies planet variants as terraforming options? Mainly thinking of Continental, Lifeless Arid, Auric, and Alkali. I like their textures. :P

Great mod all around, have used it in every playthrough over the past few years.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 04, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »

Would it be possible to add Terran Eccentric and Unknown Skies planet variants as terraforming options? Mainly thinking of Continental, Lifeless Arid, Auric, and Alkali. I like their textures. :P

I requested something like this a couple months back, i don't think Boggled's stance has changed on this, here's what he had to say at the time

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 04, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »

I requested something like this a couple months back, i don't think Boggled's stance has changed on this, here's what he had to say at the time

I do intend to add terraforming support for some Unknown Skies planet types in the future. This will happen after I transition the terraforming control panel from the colony menu to the intel screen.

And for the record, about 50% of TASC users also had Unknown Skies installed (and I doubt that number has changed much since I stopped collecting data), so there's enough players using it to justify adding this feature.

NocturneOfSolace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 04, 2022, 03:56:13 PM »

First of all, great work, I consider this mod 200% vital to the game and I hope it gets added officially

Secondly um, how do I build the stations? I'm um...unsure as to how to do this.

Will you be expanding this mod with more features over time?

One thing I think would be neat by the way, is if the Chameleon could overtime reveal the location of Pather bases

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 04, 2022, 05:49:39 PM »

First of all, great work, I consider this mod 200% vital to the game and I hope it gets added officially

Secondly um, how do I build the stations? I'm um...unsure as to how to do this.

Will you be expanding this mod with more features over time?

One thing I think would be neat by the way, is if the Chameleon could overtime reveal the location of Pather bases

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

You can build stations by right clicking a slot on your ability bar and adding the respective station construction abilities.

I have a list of planned features on the original post - the mod is mostly complete but there are a couple major changes/features I do intend to add.

Having the CHAMELEON reveal Pather and/or pirate bases is an interesting idea. After seeing the some of the recent blog posts from Alex, I think the CHAMELEON may end up being reworked entirely when the next vanilla update comes out, so I'm going to hold off on changing it until then.

BladedQueen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 04, 2022, 10:08:43 PM »

I do intend to add terraforming support for some Unknown Skies planet types in the future. This will happen after I transition the terraforming control panel from the colony menu to the intel screen.

And for the record, about 50% of TASC users also had Unknown Skies installed (and I doubt that number has changed much since I stopped collecting data), so there's enough players using it to justify adding this feature.

Happy to hear this is coming. Never shall a system of mine have two of the same planet type!

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 04, 2022, 10:33:25 PM »

Minor bug, but the game seems to consider autonomous colonies as part of another faction rather than your own so you cannot create Astropolis around them.

Dunno if this is something that can be changed, but if a modded space station is abandons it loses all it's traits if you attempt to rehabilitate it again, this includes things like Resource Deposits for more mining-style stations.  There any way to fix that?

Stations created using TASC should re-populate their resource deposits (if they have any) upon recolonization. Stations with deposits created by other mods will not do so unless I add support for them - what mod and what station did you notice this issue with?

Following Factions have special stations with traits or other special structures on them:  Diable Avionics, Junkyard Dogs, Neutrino Corp's Nostalgia Edition, Outer Rim Alliance, Star Federation, Interstellar Imperium.  I do wonder if it might be easier to just make it so that if a station decivilizes it instead turns Independent, Luddic Path, or Pirate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:49:54 AM by Reshy »

Raif Redacted

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 05, 2022, 05:19:06 AM »

Having gone through the vanilla game entirely, I'm going to look into this mod. One comment: your post doesn't actually explain what any of the terraforming stuff is. I was surprised to see settings talking about 400 days to change, 200 days, etc. Also not sure what the Siphon Station and Astropolis station are meant to do. Is the Siphon a replacement for the Gas Giant entirely or just an "extra" volatiles extraction over the completely vanilla gas giant colonization experience? The Astropolis is what exactly? The settings file also has options like Hydroponics and Cloning industries that have no specific information. Without a Readme explaining every option, I'm left to just ask here or literally download and install the mod, then check at whatever point what all this exactly does. Popularity of the mod aside, would be great to have these answered in the initial post.

Did you read the mod features guide in the original post? It covers some of the questions you asked here.

Yep, read the initial, for sure. Would be great to have all those settings and options explained. Something like a spoiler box that has all the options in the settings file that do not have a long explanation for what it is included and with a full explanation (the days thing I saw was initially confusing because, since it wasn't mentioned in the terraforming items area, I assumed it was something new or separate).

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 05, 2022, 06:17:48 AM »

Minor bug, but the game seems to consider autonomous colonies as part of another faction rather than your own so you cannot create Astropolis around them.

Dunno if this is something that can be changed, but if a modded space station is abandons it loses all it's traits if you attempt to rehabilitate it again, this includes things like Resource Deposits for more mining-style stations.  There any way to fix that?

Stations created using TASC should re-populate their resource deposits (if they have any) upon recolonization. Stations with deposits created by other mods will not do so unless I add support for them - what mod and what station did you notice this issue with?

Following Factions have special stations with traits or other special structures on them:  Diable Avionics, Junkyard Dogs, Neutrino Corp's Nostalgia Edition, Outer Rim Alliance, Star Federation, Interstellar Imperium.  I do wonder if it might be easier to just make it so that if a station decivilizes it instead turns Independent, Luddic Path, or Pirate.

Hmm, it's my intention that astropoli can be built around autonomous colonies. I'll fix that in the next patch.

I don't think it's a good idea to make stations simply change factions when they become decivilized - that's a big deviation from the vanilla behavior and I think it would cause a lot of problems.

Ideally stations from other mods with resource deposits or other conditions should regain those deposits/conditions if they're recolonized by the player. This is non-trivial to do from a coding standpoint though. I'll look into it but no promises!

Having gone through the vanilla game entirely, I'm going to look into this mod. One comment: your post doesn't actually explain what any of the terraforming stuff is. I was surprised to see settings talking about 400 days to change, 200 days, etc. Also not sure what the Siphon Station and Astropolis station are meant to do. Is the Siphon a replacement for the Gas Giant entirely or just an "extra" volatiles extraction over the completely vanilla gas giant colonization experience? The Astropolis is what exactly? The settings file also has options like Hydroponics and Cloning industries that have no specific information. Without a Readme explaining every option, I'm left to just ask here or literally download and install the mod, then check at whatever point what all this exactly does. Popularity of the mod aside, would be great to have these answered in the initial post.

Did you read the mod features guide in the original post? It covers some of the questions you asked here.

Yep, read the initial, for sure. Would be great to have all those settings and options explained. Something like a spoiler box that has all the options in the settings file that do not have a long explanation for what it is included and with a full explanation (the days thing I saw was initially confusing because, since it wasn't mentioned in the terraforming items area, I assumed it was something new or separate).

Yeah, you're right that there's no explanations for much of the non-default content (ex. Hydroponics and Cloning). I didn't want to include information about that in the original post because it would confuse players since it's not enabled by default, and it would entice players to enable the content even though it's my belief that the non-default content makes the gameplay experience worse (which is why it's non-default!).

If you do enable those buildings, the in-game tooltips for them explain how they function. If you merely read the tooltips, don't like what you see, and disable the content, it won't break your save.

demolish238

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 05, 2022, 07:58:34 AM »

Seems like there is meant to be an option in the settings file to enable universal terraforming, but I can't find anything about it in that file. I want to terraform volcanic worlds partially such as take out the toxic atmosphere of one of my worlds but have no idea how to add volcanic worlds as terraformable on my own without some setting to enable it, and it's not fun to be forced to use console commands for a feature that makes sense for this mod to have, since I remember from a year or so ago I could do this.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 05, 2022, 08:02:56 AM »

Seems like there is meant to be an option in the settings file to enable universal terraforming, but I can't find anything about it in that file. I want to terraform volcanic worlds partially such as take out the toxic atmosphere of one of my worlds but have no idea how to add volcanic worlds as terraformable on my own without some setting to enable it, and it's not fun to be forced to use console commands for a feature that makes sense for this mod to have, since I remember from a year or so ago I could do this.

Terraforming of volcanic planets is not possible in the current version of the mod. I'll look into adding a settings toggle for it, but I'm not sure how much work it would take, and I think terraforming of volcanic planets would be bad for gameplay and few players would enable it (based on what I saw back when I collecting usage data).

Raif Redacted

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 05, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »

Yeah, you're right that there's no explanations for much of the non-default content (ex. Hydroponics and Cloning). I didn't want to include information about that in the original post because it would confuse players since it's not enabled by default, and it would entice players to enable the content even though it's my belief that the non-default content makes the gameplay experience worse (which is why it's non-default!).

If you do enable those buildings, the in-game tooltips for them explain how they function. If you merely read the tooltips, don't like what you see, and disable the content, it won't break your save.

I agree that mods should sometimes have settings off by default but, at the best, not telling people what some functionality does is unfortunate for those who would love to try some of it. At the worst, people are downloading something they don't have full knowledge of, and that has a feeling close to intentionally hiding code. I've just always been a big fan of ensuring everyone knows exactly what a download contains and how to adjust it, if possible. Cheers on the mod itself. Hopefully you decide to explain it more in the initial post.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 08:29:37 AM by Raif Redacted »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 05, 2022, 08:31:29 AM »

At the worst, people are downloading something they don't have full knowledge of, and that has a feeling close to intentionally hiding code. I've just always been a big fan of ensuring everyone knows exactly what a download contains and how to adjust it, if possible.

TASC is open source - see https://github.com/boggled-starsector/boggled_modpack/raw/master/TASC-Source.zip. Players can view the source code if there's any question about what's in it or how exactly it works.

Buggie

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 05, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »

Hello boggled, i seem to have a crash that is similar to the one posted by truly, also after a really long 100+ hour game,

Code
3599098 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at data.campaign.econ.conditions.Cramped_Quarters.apply(Cramped_Quarters.java:75)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.addCondition(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.Market.addCondition(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.econ.PlanetConditionMarket.convertToRegular(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.getMarket(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.StarSystemDisplay.getStandaloneStations(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.OoOO.ÕÓO000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.intel.OoOO.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.comms.F.Õø0000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.comms.F.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.setSize(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OO0O$7.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Unlike him though i could not for the life of me find what was actually causing it, i tried doing a bunch of things differently and nothing really stopped it from crashing. Also weirdly it only crashed when i pressed the intel button, if i never pressed it seems i could play forever, as long as i never needed to load as all saves would become corrupted.

Another thing is that even though the crash seems to be related to the cramped quarters thing, i play with that setting off, is it still supposed to check for it even when its off?

The full log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60lzemszgic0m8x/starsector.log?dl=0
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 219