Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 222

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1095518 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.0.1)
« Reply #1680 on: January 30, 2022, 10:29:55 AM »

I really don't.
The UI could use work, but the actual terraforming system in the current version is great! (I presume the requirements and limitations are based on vanilla planet generation?

I'm glad you like the new system! The limitations are loosely based on vanilla, but don't line up exactly.

Keep up the good work though- One of my favorite mods on the forums and use it every time I play.  Thanks for all the hard work.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the mod! The EUTECK has always had serious problems, but I'm hopeful it will make a return at some point.

terraforming that shapes and reflects being perfect to the industries that the location specializes in

This is what I was aiming for with the current system. Frozen worlds can use the Kletka Simulator best, Jungle and Arid are best for farming, stations are best for heavy industry, etc.

So could the Domed Cities be turned into an upgrade of Population now? Yunru had managed to add a structure version of the Commerce which is then updated into an actual industry. Or maybe that could be and advanced version that you have to find blueprint for first - honestly I don't like that terraforming is a little bit too slow (but not as slow as it used to be) but it would be nice if some options would be locked behind exploration content or having contacts within major factions.

BTW, shouldn't Domed Cities demand some organics/metals to maintain them?

I don't want to modify the default Population and Infrastructure building, otherwise I would do this.

I think Population and Infrastructure requires organics in vanilla if the planet isn't habitable. I don't think requiring metals makes sense because once the domes are built, there wouldn't appear to be an ongoing need for large amounts metals.

Droll

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.0.1)
« Reply #1681 on: January 30, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

I think Population and Infrastructure requires organics in vanilla if the planet isn't habitable. I don't think requiring metals makes sense because once the domes are built, there wouldn't appear to be an ongoing need for large amounts metals.

I'm sure maintenance would be a significant factor for the use of metals. After all that's part of why maintenance of such a facility would cost money.

vaarelsauce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v8.0.2)
« Reply #1682 on: January 30, 2022, 07:40:18 PM »

Thank you for fixing the water world Dome so quickly! You're the best!  ;D

Bug Report
I've been encountering a strange issue with the pre-spawned stations in my world. For some reason, certain stations (mining/siphon/astropolis, I couldn't tell which one it was. actually, it might've been an AI battlestation) could sometimes overlap a certain colony. So when I check out the station via the sector map (show colony info thing), it would redirect me to the planet that it's orbiting instead. I have to manually fly up to the station itself in order to access its market. (oh and also the station's market does not show up on my colony list)

I've only encountered this issue for pre-generated stations (since I found out it was buggy at the start of the game, so I decided to never build one by myself).

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 31, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »

Thank you for fixing the water world Dome so quickly! You're the best!  ;D

Bug Report
I've been encountering a strange issue with the pre-spawned stations in my world. For some reason, certain stations (mining/siphon/astropolis, I couldn't tell which one it was. actually, it might've been an AI battlestation) could sometimes overlap a certain colony. So when I check out the station via the sector map (show colony info thing), it would redirect me to the planet that it's orbiting instead. I have to manually fly up to the station itself in order to access its market. (oh and also the station's market does not show up on my colony list)

I've only encountered this issue for pre-generated stations (since I found out it was buggy at the start of the game, so I decided to never build one by myself).

In vanilla, (most) stations are linked to the market they orbit. The stations you can build with my mod have their own unique market.

Negative Ramos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 31, 2022, 05:20:58 PM »

Hey! Been using the mod for a while, its amazing. Just noticed in my current save I havent gotten Penelope's Secret at all, and the option to build Astral gates isnt there. Were Astral Gates and the quest related to them removed?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 31, 2022, 05:23:27 PM »

Hey! Been using the mod for a while, its amazing. Just noticed in my current save I havent gotten Penelope's Secret at all, and the option to build Astral gates isnt there. Were Astral Gates and the quest related to them removed?

Yes, that content was removed due to changes made in the vanilla game. I'm sure you'll discover what I mean once you complete the main questline...

liliyn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 31, 2022, 06:19:20 PM »

Sorry if you already answered this, but is this mod compatible with existing saved games?

Emperor Meow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 01, 2022, 01:26:08 PM »

Heyyy, made an account just for this, but on domed cities after I input yes for water world. It said in its descrpition
"Error in getunavailableReason() in Domed cities"
When I switched it back off, It stayed that way despite me not saving after doing le waterworld. I understand that I may have *** everything over by typing something in the code accidentally, but I thought I might as well report it anyway  :)
Is there anything I need to send over to help? As I saw others sending code screens shots and such when they reported their bugs.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 01, 2022, 02:25:52 PM »

Sorry if you already answered this, but is this mod compatible with existing saved games?

Yes. It can't be removed from a save in progress though.

Heyyy, made an account just for this, but on domed cities after I input yes for water world. It said in its descrpition
"Error in getunavailableReason() in Domed cities"
When I switched it back off, It stayed that way despite me not saving after doing le waterworld. I understand that I may have *** everything over by typing something in the code accidentally, but I thought I might as well report it anyway  :)
Is there anything I need to send over to help? As I saw others sending code screens shots and such when they reported their bugs.

What version of the mod are you using? I thought I fixed that bug in 8.0.2!

vaarelsauce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 02, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »

Is it alright if I suggest some QoL changes (mostly tooltip displays), to make the mod more intuitive for players.
(these are simply function descriptions, but players had to dig through the older changelogs in order to understand what certain mechanics do)

QOL

Atmosphere Processor
  • Display potential terraforming options when this structure is installed on the colony, kind of like a yellow-text "Countering the effect of...." manner. (for atmospheric/toxic-removal/planetary type terraforming)
  • A.I. core option. Higher core, lower upkeep cost. Alpha could give bonus to agriculture bonus/lower hazard rating.
  • SP Improvement option(?), although this is more of a temporary structure, so I don't think it's worth spending points in long-term.

Volturnian Lobster Pens
  • As it currently stands, there isn't really much of a need for Volturnian Lobsters.
  • Creates a reactive "lobster needs" for colonies surrounding the producer colony of Volturnian Lobsters.

Genelab
  • Displays potential "Volturnian Lobster seeding" effect on water worlds, and the 200-days requirement (labeled as yellow text(?)). It wouldn't even be strange to move the lobster production under this Genelab for categorization purpose.
  • On polluted planets, display the yellow text that says that it would counter the effect of "Pollution".
  • Include a day countdown until the pollution is dissolved.
  • The day countdown can either be in the form of % (Planet Cracker, CHAMELEON), or days-format (Volturnian Lobster seeding)
  • For terraforming, show potential terraforming options that the planet can undertake once this structure is built. (increase ore finds, valid for terraforming to a different planet type, reduce certain hazardous element, etc.)

Mesozoic Park
  • Add more flavor text (and types in the future) for the different type of Mesozoic parks on different planet conditions.
  • e.g.
  • Water worlds: "The combination of lack of landmass and ideal temperature condition created the perfect aquarium for both colossal sea creatures and underwater organisms to thrive with ease."
  • Those flying dinosaurs world (originally I thought it was Floating Continent, but apparently not): "The sky is the limit, and these [bird dinosaurs] spread their wings in fervor as they leaped toward the ever-stretching horizon."
  • The green triceratops world: "The abundance in vegetation allows even the smallest of herbivores to munch on plants in solitary and peace."
  • Add more Mesozoic park types for Extreme Heat/Cold (thick furs, or tree-swingers), Parasitic Spores (maybe hug-liking empathic animals, like a colossal panda), and Underground Network/Magnetic Crust (underground-thriving organism, like giant centipedes and rolly-polly)

Domed Cities
  • It's underwater. It's blue. And there's fishies, jellyfish, and seaweed floating around!

Stellar Reflector Array
  • Display potential options for terraforming when installed on the colony (planet-type change, reducing hazard effects, etc.).
  • A.I. core option to lower upkeeps. Better cores, lower upkeep cost.
  • SP Improvement option(?)

Massive Solar Collectors
  • SP Improvement option for this industry.
  • Tooltip text as to why the industry is producing +1/+2 more Capacitators.

Medical Center
  • SP Improvement option for this industry. (doesn't have to be colony growth, could be stability/-25% hazard rating. Or even increase max colony size limit!)
  • When built, reactively creates a need for Cloned Organs produced by this colony for surrounding colonies. (although this might've already been implemented, if so then the Volturnian Lobster need should be able to use the same coding system)

Roider Dives
  • Tooltip displaying that it can be upgraded to Union HQ, when the BP is found.

Ismara's Sling/Asteroid Processing
  • Tooltip display for the type of planets that it can terraform from Planet type A to Planet type B.
  • A.I. core option. Lower upkeeps depending on A.I. core level.
  • SP Improvement option (?) although this is a temporary structure until the sector's terraformation is complete.

Planet Cracker
  • This structure feels forgotten. But maybe an artwork update (replacing the black background with maybe starry, interstellar sky).
  • A.I. core option (lower upkeep cost), and maybe SP Improvement option(?)

Planetary Agrav Field
  • A.I. core and SP Improvement options.

Magnetoshield

Terraforming options
  • When changing planet type, display what the new planet type would gain/lose.
  • When improving resource deposit, display the improvement (e.g. from +0 Volatile to +1 Volatile).
  • In the planet type change page, add more planet options (Continental, Auric, Alkali, Magnetic, Archipelago, Terran Eccantric, Crimson, etc.)
  • Maybe add a resource needed/cost requirement when changing a planet to a more unique type.
  • A completely-randomize planet option would be pretty fun. Basically put together a bunch of Alpha A.I. cores in a meeting room, and then let it decide what to do with the entire planet, under the reasoning of "letting the A.I. choose the most optimal solution".
  • Some sort of gas giants terraform outside of resource deposit improvement. Maybe creating a Floating Continent so that players can build Domed Cities since there's now a solid ground. (at the expense of lots of materials)

Additional Feature ideas
  • Temporary anti-Extreme Heat/Cold structure.
  • Create a budget version of Coronal Hypershunt / Cryorevival Factory as a orbiting station (with only the efficiency of 10-30% of the Domain-era original). Still expensive to build, though.

I think that's all the ideas that I have off the top of my head. I hope you'll find some of these ideas amusing!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 02, 2022, 02:28:34 PM »

Spoiler
Is it alright if I suggest some QoL changes (mostly tooltip displays), to make the mod more intuitive for players.
(these are simply function descriptions, but players had to dig through the older changelogs in order to understand what certain mechanics do)

QOL

Atmosphere Processor
  • Display potential terraforming options when this structure is installed on the colony, kind of like a yellow-text "Countering the effect of...." manner. (for atmospheric/toxic-removal/planetary type terraforming)
  • A.I. core option. Higher core, lower upkeep cost. Alpha could give bonus to agriculture bonus/lower hazard rating.
  • SP Improvement option(?), although this is more of a temporary structure, so I don't think it's worth spending points in long-term.

Volturnian Lobster Pens
  • As it currently stands, there isn't really much of a need for Volturnian Lobsters.
  • Creates a reactive "lobster needs" for colonies surrounding the producer colony of Volturnian Lobsters.

Genelab
  • Displays potential "Volturnian Lobster seeding" effect on water worlds, and the 200-days requirement (labeled as yellow text(?)). It wouldn't even be strange to move the lobster production under this Genelab for categorization purpose.
  • On polluted planets, display the yellow text that says that it would counter the effect of "Pollution".
  • Include a day countdown until the pollution is dissolved.
  • The day countdown can either be in the form of % (Planet Cracker, CHAMELEON), or days-format (Volturnian Lobster seeding)
  • For terraforming, show potential terraforming options that the planet can undertake once this structure is built. (increase ore finds, valid for terraforming to a different planet type, reduce certain hazardous element, etc.)

Mesozoic Park
  • Add more flavor text (and types in the future) for the different type of Mesozoic parks on different planet conditions.
  • e.g.
  • Water worlds: "The combination of lack of landmass and ideal temperature condition created the perfect aquarium for both colossal sea creatures and underwater organisms to thrive with ease."
  • Those flying dinosaurs world (originally I thought it was Floating Continent, but apparently not): "The sky is the limit, and these [bird dinosaurs] spread their wings in fervor as they leaped toward the ever-stretching horizon."
  • The green triceratops world: "The abundance in vegetation allows even the smallest of herbivores to munch on plants in solitary and peace."
  • Add more Mesozoic park types for Extreme Heat/Cold (thick furs, or tree-swingers), Parasitic Spores (maybe hug-liking empathic animals, like a colossal panda), and Underground Network/Magnetic Crust (underground-thriving organism, like giant centipedes and rolly-polly)

Domed Cities
  • It's underwater. It's blue. And there's fishies, jellyfish, and seaweed floating around!

Stellar Reflector Array
  • Display potential options for terraforming when installed on the colony (planet-type change, reducing hazard effects, etc.).
  • A.I. core option to lower upkeeps. Better cores, lower upkeep cost.
  • SP Improvement option(?)

Massive Solar Collectors
  • SP Improvement option for this industry.
  • Tooltip text as to why the industry is producing +1/+2 more Capacitators.

Medical Center
  • SP Improvement option for this industry. (doesn't have to be colony growth, could be stability/-25% hazard rating. Or even increase max colony size limit!)
  • When built, reactively creates a need for Cloned Organs produced by this colony for surrounding colonies. (although this might've already been implemented, if so then the Volturnian Lobster need should be able to use the same coding system)

Roider Dives
  • Tooltip displaying that it can be upgraded to Union HQ, when the BP is found.

Ismara's Sling/Asteroid Processing
  • Tooltip display for the type of planets that it can terraform from Planet type A to Planet type B.
  • A.I. core option. Lower upkeeps depending on A.I. core level.
  • SP Improvement option (?) although this is a temporary structure until the sector's terraformation is complete.

Planet Cracker
  • This structure feels forgotten. But maybe an artwork update (replacing the black background with maybe starry, interstellar sky).
  • A.I. core option (lower upkeep cost), and maybe SP Improvement option(?)

Planetary Agrav Field

Magnetoshield

Terraforming options
  • When changing planet type, display what the new planet type would gain/lose.
  • When improving resource deposit, display the improvement (e.g. from +0 Volatile to +1 Volatile).
  • In the planet type change page, add more planet options (Continental, Auric, Alkali, Magnetic, Archipelago, Terran Eccantric, Crimson, etc.)
  • Maybe add a resource needed/cost requirement when changing a planet to a more unique type.
  • A completely-randomize planet option would be pretty fun. Basically put together a bunch of Alpha A.I. cores in a meeting room, and then let it decide what to do with the entire planet, under the reasoning of "letting the A.I. choose the most optimal solution".
  • Some sort of gas giants terraform outside of resource deposit improvement. Maybe creating a Floating Continent so that players can build Domed Cities since there's now a solid ground. (at the expense of lots of materials)

Additional Feature ideas
  • Temporary anti-Extreme Heat/Cold structure.
  • Create a budget version of Coronal Hypershunt / Cryorevival Factory as a orbiting station (with only the efficiency of 10-30% of the Domain-era original). Still expensive to build, though.
[close]

I think that's all the ideas that I have off the top of my head. I hope you'll find some of these ideas amusing!

That's a lot of ideas, and some of the content you referenced is actually from other mods!

I do plan to add a Rapture-style Water world variant of Domed Cities.

I don't think having unique flavor text for each type of Mesozoic Park would be all that compelling - players can see what type of dinosaur is there on the building image, and my writing isn't good enough that players would be interested in reading about descriptions of dinosaurs.

I'm not inclined to add AI core bonuses or improvement bonuses to the terraforming buildings that currently lack them. It will add a bunch of clutter to the tooltips and I haven't been able to come up with interesting effects that would be intuitive and worth the added complexity.

I may do something with a Cryorevival-type building in the future, but so far I don't have any ideas worth adding.

Drunkenslav

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 03, 2022, 02:55:03 AM »

Hey OP i dont think stellar reflector array should increase ludditism by 10, its basically just a big semi smart mirror, i think 2 or 4 would be more appropriate

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 03, 2022, 02:28:38 PM »

Hey OP i dont think stellar reflector array should increase ludditism by 10, its basically just a big semi smart mirror, i think 2 or 4 would be more appropriate

Stellar Reflectors are for terraforming purposes. Why did the Luddic Path attack Mairaath? Is it because they're opposed to terraforming in general or for other reasons?

mstachife

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 03, 2022, 09:56:03 PM »

Suggestion : make the defensive malus from domed cities equal to the bonus provided by planetary shields, so they balance each other out of sorts.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 04, 2022, 06:08:23 AM »

Suggestion : make the defensive malus from domed cities equal to the bonus provided by planetary shields, so they balance each other out of sorts.

I want the defense malus from Domed Cities to be a real drawback that can't be easily mitigated. This makes decisions regarding what to build on a colony more complex and interesting, instead of creating a single "optimal" configuration.

Allowing Planetary Shields to counteract the defense malus would not be in line with that goal.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 222