Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 221

Author Topic: [0.97a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v9.0.8)  (Read 1094356 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.4.6)
« Reply #1050 on: March 19, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »

If you've built an astral gate for another faction, you need to be friendly (about 75 positive rep.) with them in order to use it.

Both systems are owned by my player faction.

Did you make any changes to the settings file and/or other mod files? If you're using the gate station feature, does your faction control the gate station? Is it only the Damar's Star system gate that doesn't work, or are there other gates that don't work either?

zavkof

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 20, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »

If you've built an astral gate for another faction, you need to be friendly (about 75 positive rep.) with them in order to use it.

Did you make any changes to the settings file and/or other mod files? If you're using the gate station feature, does your faction control the gate station? Is it only the Damar's Star system gate that doesn't work, or are there other gates that don't work either?

Only settings I've changed from the base game config are maxshipsinfleet, maxshipsinAIfleet, max officers, and max AI officers. My faction does control the gate station. I tested a few other systems and the only ones that seem to work are the core worlds.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 20, 2021, 02:54:09 PM »

Only settings I've changed from the base game config are maxshipsinfleet, maxshipsinAIfleet, max officers, and max AI officers. My faction does control the gate station. I tested a few other systems and the only ones that seem to work are the core worlds.

Ok, thanks for letting me know about this. It sounds like Adjusted Sector might be the culprit. I'll look into it and see what I can do.

zavkof

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 22, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »

Ok, thanks for letting me know about this. It sounds like Adjusted Sector might be the culprit. I'll look into it and see what I can do.

Thank you so much!

runetrantor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.5.0)
« Reply #1054 on: March 30, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »

Astral gates will likely be removed from the mod in 6.0.0 due to new content in vanilla.

On one hand, this pains me greatly, as I loved them as a feature.

On the other... hoo boy, what that implies for vanilla... I havent seen anything from the new update yet, but that sounds promising. :P

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 31, 2021, 05:37:28 AM »

Astral gates will likely be removed from the mod in 6.0.0 due to new content in vanilla.
This seems rather drastic. I didn't get to play much of the new version, but I can only assume that the relevant change is big enough to justify this.

Also, will you add the option to create barren worlds now that Synchrotrons need the "No Atmosphere" condition?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 31, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »

This seems rather drastic. I didn't get to play much of the new version, but I can only assume that the relevant change is big enough to justify this.

Also, will you add the option to create barren worlds now that Synchrotrons need the "No Atmosphere" condition?

Trust me, after you play it (or simply look through the console commands and/or rules.csv) you'll come to the same conclusion about astral gates.

I'm still thinking about how best to rework terraforming. Given that the new items turn many harmful conditions into a positive thing, I'm considering restricting terraforming to habitable planets only, getting rid of the "terraforming points" system, and bringing back the "water access" requirement for some planet types. Of course, there would be settings options for those who want less restrictions.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 31, 2021, 06:20:30 AM »

I wonder if 'flipping around' the requirements might work?

So instead of the chosen planet type dictating the temperature, the existing temperature would dictate what types you could change to.
And the mirrors/shades can modify the temperature by +/-1 and so alter the 'allowed' conversions to include more (favourable) types.
This would narrow the scope of potential terraforming options for any given planet, but allow the player to expand that by investing in infrastructure. But only upto the limits of what changing the temperature 1 step would allow.

For example:
If I had a super-hot volcanic world, the only terraforming options I'd have right at the start would be: Volcanic, Toxic, Barren.
The 3 (major) planet classes which are allowed to be super-hot by the procgen.

Building shades would reduce the temperature by 1 step to 'just' hot, which then opens up additional options for Desert, Arid, Jungle, Water, Eccentric.
Aka, all the types that are 'allowed' to be hot.
And that's as far as that particular world can be terraformed.

This would also give you the option to de-restrict terraforming options in the settings to allow mirrors/shades to unlock any transformation or make them entirely optional.
The point based system could stay in place along with all the current means of generating said points.

There would however need to be a check in place to look out for existing infrastructure as there are now instances of worlds with pre-built mirrors/shades which probably shouldn't allow the player to build any of thier own.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 31, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »

I wonder if 'flipping around' the requirements might work?

So instead of the chosen planet type dictating the temperature, the existing temperature would dictate what types you could change to.
And the mirrors/shades can modify the temperature by +/-1 and so alter the 'allowed' conversions to include more (favourable) types.
This would narrow the scope of potential terraforming options for any given planet, but allow the player to expand that by investing in infrastructure. But only upto the limits of what changing the temperature 1 step would allow.

For example:
If I had a super-hot volcanic world, the only terraforming options I'd have right at the start would be: Volcanic, Toxic, Barren.
The 3 (major) planet classes which are allowed to be super-hot by the procgen.

Building shades would reduce the temperature by 1 step to 'just' hot, which then opens up additional options for Desert, Arid, Jungle, Water, Eccentric.
Aka, all the types that are 'allowed' to be hot.
And that's as far as that particular world can be terraformed.

This would also give you the option to de-restrict terraforming options in the settings to allow mirrors/shades to unlock any transformation or make them entirely optional.
The point based system could stay in place along with all the current means of generating said points.

There would however need to be a check in place to look out for existing infrastructure as there are now instances of worlds with pre-built mirrors/shades which probably shouldn't allow the player to build any of thier own.

The new implementation in vanilla is to "suppress" negative conditions like temperate, poor light, etc., not to remove or change them. This is how the fusion lamp and the vanilla stellar mirror condition work (although apparently Eventide and Eochu Bres don't have any of the conditions that get suppressed, so this isn't immediately obvious without testing the fusion lamp).

I want my implementation of terraforming to conform with how the fusion lamp works in vanilla so players can understand it and it "gels" properly. Instead of removing or altering negative conditions, I want my terraforming buildings to use the new "suppression" feature instead for most situations (exceptions being pollution and decivilized subpopulation).

For example, instead of removing the Meteor Impacts condition, I'll have the planetary shield suppress it. For No Atmosphere, I may have a dome-city building that will suppress it, but not remove it, so that the hazard increase is gone but the special items that require no atmosphere will still work.

One of the problems I found with my current implementation is that it results in very boring and identical markets - Terran worlds are strictly better than all other types, so players just create a bunch of identical 50% hazard Terran worlds and nothing else, and there's no tradeoffs or choices to make. Whatever I decide to do, I want to try to avoid creating this issue with the new system. The special items that require No Atmosphere to work means there are now two "ideal" planet configurations, not just one, which isn't much of an improvement.

The idea of limiting terraforming to one "temperature step" is interesting. It seems to work well for hot worlds, but the fusion lamp causes problems because it suppresses both cold and extreme cold, even in systems with no star, and it will make planets hot if you don't meet the volatiles demand. The "temperature step" system would seem to only place restrictions on Very Hot planets, while all other planets could easily be turned into whatever the player desires, provided they have a fusion lamp.

Audun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 31, 2021, 05:58:52 PM »

One of the problems I found with my current implementation is that it results in very boring and identical markets - Terran worlds are strictly better than all other types, so players just create a bunch of identical 50% hazard Terran worlds and nothing else, and there's no tradeoffs or choices to make. Whatever I decide to do, I want to try to avoid creating this issue with the new system.

I came here all the way from the registration page to say two things:

1. Thanks for making this mod, which has added dozens of hours of fun to my SS experience!

2. Perhaps you could make resource-enhancing conditions which are specific to certain planet types? In a sense this already exists with the ouyang optimization, but you don't need the malus if it already requires a sub-optimal planet type. For example, some improvement increases organics production by +2 (You could even make a new condition that exceeds existing bonuses) but can only be built on jungle worlds. A metals improvement buildable only on rocky unstable worlds, a transplutonics improvement buildable only on volcanic worlds. Etc. Then, the player has an incentive to concentrate their secondary industries (orbital works, fuel production, refining, light industry) on a terran world, but to put their primary industries on a rainbow of other planet types.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be great.

Chikanuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 31, 2021, 06:26:35 PM »

Imho terran worlds must be in general better. Ofc over tipes can have their own benefits, but it called terran for a reason

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 31, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »

One of the problems I found with my current implementation is that it results in very boring and identical markets - Terran worlds are strictly better than all other types, so players just create a bunch of identical 50% hazard Terran worlds and nothing else, and there's no tradeoffs or choices to make. Whatever I decide to do, I want to try to avoid creating this issue with the new system.

I came here all the way from the registration page to say two things:

1. Thanks for making this mod, which has added dozens of hours of fun to my SS experience!

2. Perhaps you could make resource-enhancing conditions which are specific to certain planet types? In a sense this already exists with the ouyang optimization, but you don't need the malus if it already requires a sub-optimal planet type. For example, some improvement increases organics production by +2 (You could even make a new condition that exceeds existing bonuses) but can only be built on jungle worlds. A metals improvement buildable only on rocky unstable worlds, a transplutonics improvement buildable only on volcanic worlds. Etc. Then, the player has an incentive to concentrate their secondary industries (orbital works, fuel production, refining, light industry) on a terran world, but to put their primary industries on a rainbow of other planet types.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be great.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod!

I've considered bonuses or buildings unique to specific planet types to give the player an incentive to create something other than Terran worlds. The Wildlife Exploitation and Spice Harvesting industries already exist (albeit as non-default settings), but they're pretty simplistic and lore compatibility prevents Spice Harvesting from ever becoming a default option.

I don't think I want to create things that give a flat production bonus based on planet type because (1) the special items and +2 farming from stellar reflectors introduced in 0.95a already partially fill this role, and (2) it's difficult to come up with lore-compatible reasons for why those bonuses can only apply on a specific planet type, especially considering that most planet types already have certain types of resources that are more abundant on them (ex. lava planets tend to have high ore resources, frozen planets have high volatiles, jungle has high organics, etc.).

I think a better option might be to expand on things like the Wildlife Exploitation to make them more compelling. Maybe I'll have the Wildlife Exploitation give the planet Inimical Biosphere, but generate tourism revenues based on accessibility and stability (since those factors heavily influence tourism revenues in real life) instead of just a flat amount. Another idea could be a "Hellforge" building for lava planets that supplies lots of ship hulls and gives a bonus to fleet strength. This would fit well with the special item from 0.95a that boosts fleet strength on hot planets. Kletka Simulators already have reduced upkeep on cold planets. Water worlds have lobsters. Now I just need something for desert/arid worlds.

Imho terran worlds must be in general better. Ofc over tipes can have their own benefits, but it called terran for a reason

True enough. Worlds that meet the requirements to be terraformed to Terran should always get a big benefit from it, but I want to make the ones that can't be terraformed (with default settings) interesting enough to justify colonizing them.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 01, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »

Now I just need something for desert/arid worlds.
The best thing I can think of is an expansive solar farm structure that greatly reduces local upkeep.
But honestly, if we're going back to a more strict terraforming system, I think desert/arid worlds would have enough value by simply being prime candidates for the terran transformation.
That seems like a lore-friendly line of thinking, too. When EUTC found Ithaca in the Penelope's Star system, they didn't think "Oh look, a desert world. Let's do desert world things on it" but "Oh look, a desert world. Let's make it Earth-like."

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 01, 2021, 12:34:23 PM »

Now I just need something for desert/arid worlds.
The best thing I can think of is an expansive solar farm structure that greatly reduces local upkeep.
But honestly, if we're going back to a more strict terraforming system, I think desert/arid worlds would have enough value by simply being prime candidates for the terran transformation.
That seems like a lore-friendly line of thinking, too. When EUTC found Ithaca in the Penelope's Star system, they didn't think "Oh look, a desert world. Let's do desert world things on it" but "Oh look, a desert world. Let's make it Earth-like."

That makes sense. The same goes for jungle worlds I suppose.

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 01, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »

hello
i love this mod and can barely live without it so i'll try to atleast contribute a little by giving you some ideas
1 biomass farms on stations to produce organics
2  "aqua quarters" condition to have the option to use aquaculture (but most importantly seed it with Volturnian Lobster)
3 manufacturing specialization condition for stations to increase its productivity of heavy and light industry but limits it's flexibility heavily (flexibility i mean restricting some structures and industries)
and of course for balance reasons these would be incredibly expensive
if these sound good hurray i contributed something partly useful, if not you can spit on me for being dumb   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:14:30 PM by ShpunkY »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 221