Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: [0.97a] Progressive S-Mods (0.11.3) — gain XP for ships, spend it on S-mods  (Read 160390 times)

CV514

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Nexelerin's ship collector event doesn't seem to return used story points for S-Modding with this mod, but here's the thing: while it shouldn't return anything for S-Mods in particular, since installing them "doesn't require story points", increasing the S-Mod limit actually costs something, and in this particular case the points aren't being returned, even though it feels like they should. I understand that these points are spent on capacity increase rather than S-Mods themselves, but since there's no other way to spend SP on ships with this mod, it's a bit confusing.

Not sure about how patching small text works, but to remove that message from the dialogue if both mods are loaded should resolve that confusion without changing any mechanics or altering balance. If that's possible.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thanks for updating this to 0.97 - it's one of my favourite mods. Particularly because it encourages me to cycle ships out of my fleet once they get max S-mods to avoid 'wasting' XP.

Xoatl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Unsure if its just this mod or some combination of other mods. But when I open the manage s mod screen and go to a multi-module ship it strips all weapon slots and fighter bays. Deleting these things in the process. Really gamebreaking.

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Unsure if its just this mod or some combination of other mods. But when I open the manage s mod screen and go to a multi-module ship it strips all weapon slots and fighter bays. Deleting these things in the process. Really gamebreaking.
I can't reproduce this. Tried with vanilla stations and solvernia, and I am able to build stuff in fine without encountering the behavior you're describing. You'll have to be more specific about exactly what you were doing and how it happened, and make sure that it can be reproduced reliably.

Nexelerin's ship collector event doesn't seem to return used story points for S-Modding with this mod, but here's the thing: while it shouldn't return anything for S-Mods in particular, since installing them "doesn't require story points", increasing the S-Mod limit actually costs something, and in this particular case the points aren't being returned, even though it feels like they should. I understand that these points are spent on capacity increase rather than S-Mods themselves, but since there's no other way to spend SP on ships with this mod, it's a bit confusing.

Not sure about how patching small text works, but to remove that message from the dialogue if both mods are loaded should resolve that confusion without changing any mechanics or altering balance. If that's possible.
Thanks for the report. Looks like Nexerelin is using PlaythroughLog to check what built-in s-mods are built in using story points. The PlaythroughLog s-mod entries require a list of hullmods installed, so it's not compatible with the way this mod is using story points. The text itself is from Nexerelin, so I can't do anything about it. The best thing to do is just make a mental note that Nexerelin doesn't refund SP spent on increasing s-mod limits, and use that to inform your decision to sell a ship or not.

While using Unusually Gullible Hullmods, the two Shield Shunt specific hullmods, that being Shunt Distributor and Shunt Diverted Thrusters, can't be built in through the interface. You can't even install the mods without shield shunt on the ship (nor can you remove them without removing shield shunt, which will take them off automatically), however the game just shows red text on the installation UI stating "Removing the Shield Shunt will remove the (hullmod)"
Pretty sure I've gotten this report before. It's because that mod has a strange (and imo, wrong) implementation of some methods.
I can build in shield shunt just fine even with Unusually Guillible Hullmods, so it's probably a mod interaction issue (that is, some other mod is setting shield shunt unable to be built in). In fact every time you leave the refit screen, PSM unsets the no_build_in property of any hullmod that was not declared no_build_in when the game starts.

As for shunt distributor, it's because it's misusing getCanNotBeInstalledNowReason and canBeAddedOrRemovedNow. If you take a look at shunt distributor's canBeAddedOrRemovedNow, it returns false if the ship has shield shunt installed, but at the same time it can only be installed if shield shunt is installed. So, you see, this means that it should in theory *never* be able to be installed, since it's only applicable if shield shunt is installed (but also can't be installed right now if shield shunt is installed).
You could argue that because it works in the vanilla hullmod picker it should work here, but remember that the vanilla hullmod picker only lets you build in hullmods that are already on the ship, so it's likely forgoing some unnecessary checks, while the PSM checker allows you to build in hullmods that aren't already on the ship, so it needs these additional checks.

Frostwood

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I have the same problem-it occurs when you build-in Over-Engineered sometimes.  When it happens it will delete all your weapons and over-engineered will de-Smod forcing you to build it in again.  Building-in Over-Engineered twice seems to stick the second time around.

jtcbrown

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Are you sure it strips?

I have a bug where they don't *appear" equipped on mouse-over, but the available OP shows them fully fit as does testing / using them.  This usually goes away if I switch from one ship to another in refit screen. 

float

• Commander
    • View Profile

Is over-engineered from EHM? Doesn't that mod do a bunch of really weird things like generating new hull specs for each ship? I imagine it'd have to do that if it wanted to e.g. change ship systems or individual ship OP.

I'm having a hard time imagining exactly what would cause a ship to strip all its weapons. But if EHM is doing refit screen reflection stuff, it's possible that there's some issues with syncing and saving the refit screen's variant, as that's the only time the change actually propagates to the fleet member. But that shouldn't have anything to do with opening this mod's build-in screen, which doesn't modify the variant at all except for adding and removing hull mods...

Are you sure it strips?

I have a bug where they don't *appear" equipped on mouse-over, but the available OP shows them fully fit as does testing / using them.  This usually goes away if I switch from one ship to another in refit screen. 
What do you mean they don't appear equipped on mouse-over? Is this the left hand side of the refit screen? That's not a bug, it's a vanilla "feature." It's showing the fleet member's variant, which is independent of the variant of the ship on the RHS of the refit screen, which is actually just a dummy ship. When you do something that saves the variant, such as switching to another ship, that's when the changes actually modify the fleet member's variant. This is also why you can get "financial transaction confirmed" when you switch between ships. Also, if you click undo, the dummy ship's variant reverts to the saved fleet member's variant, which should be what's shown on the LHS of the refit screen.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:00:05 AM by float »

Rondson

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello! Is integration into lunar lib being considered for you in the future? Great mod btw!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]