Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.95a] Second Wave Options (0.6.5) - Options for Adjusting Campaign Difficulty  (Read 154543 times)

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Oh hello there, great mod what makes game really hard, so some overpowered ships from some mods are actually become mandatory to win (for example: 40+ onslaughts/legions combined force what raids one of your colony). But, there is only one thing what i dislike - confing. Man, i see what you upload new version, but i probably not gonna update it for a while, because it was the most pain in the butt to correctly configure this mod for myself. If ever you gonna make next update can you include some cleanup in to RCSW_SETTINGS.ini ? This thing is complete mess and i don't want to go through it again. For example more spacing between lines, separate paragraphs, better alignment to the left side. Basically just try to make it more readable. Thanks in advance!
_______________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________

Edit: I mean even line like this to divide paragraphs gonna help a lot for eyes to not lost in these strings
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:01:11 PM by PainProjection »

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

Oh hello there, great mod what makes game really hard, so some overpowered ships from some mods are actually become mandatory to win (for example: 40+ onslaughts/legions combined force what raids one of your colony). But, there is only one thing what i dislike - confing. Man, i see what you upload new version, but i probably not gonna update it for a while, because it was the most pain in the butt to correctly configure this mod for myself. If ever you gonna make next update can you include some cleanup in to RCSW_SETTINGS.ini ? This thing is complete mess and i don't want to go through it again. For example more spacing between lines, separate paragraphs, better alignment to the left side. Basically just try to make it more readable. Thanks in advance!
Hi, thanks for trying out the mod. By any chance are you using the regular Notepad application to edit the file? I thought it looked relatively clean, but I have been using Notepad++ when judging my formatting (which has the added benefit of giving comments a different font color), so YMMV if you're using a different app. In any case, I'll work on adjusting that, thank you for the feedback.

I've attached an attempt at making it look a bit cleaner on Notepad, at least. If you have any more specific feedback (e.g. which lines look dense or otherwise off), I'd be happy to hear it.
(Had to make it a .txt to make it uploadable here, so if you end up wanting to use this instead, just change the file extension back to .ini)

[attachment deleted by admin]

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Hi, thanks for trying out the mod. By any chance are you using the regular Notepad application to edit the file? I thought it looked relatively clean, but I have been using Notepad++ when judging my formatting (which has the added benefit of giving comments a different font color), so YMMV if you're using a different app. In any case, I'll work on adjusting that, thank you for the feedback.

Oh well.. thats probably me then. This is how it looks with default windows tools. I mean it's nice from coding perspective, i understand why each parameter spaced so much from left side of a page. Also this text just to dence if you know what i mean. I guess there is just so many things what you can configure, which is nice, but makes things a bit too hard to read. Thats why i suggested more empty strings between paragraphs or even some dividing lines. Anyway, i guess thats my bad in first place, never used to "nonvanilla" text redactors lol. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:10:40 PM by PainProjection »

PainProjection

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I was thinking... is it good or bad idea to make confing somehow compatible to new versions? Is it would be better if new added parameters will go to the bottom of .ini file so user can just copypaste top section from his older .ini/add bottom part to his old confing and use this for replacement. Just idea. it's up to you man. As i said i really don't want to go through all of this again, because i changed quite a bit of parameters, but barely remember what exactly i did so to properly update i should compare them side by side on my screen and manually check everything. Just imagine that pain.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

Also this text just to dence if you know what i mean. I guess there is just so many things what you can configure, which is nice, but makes things a bit too hard to read. Thats why i suggested more empty strings between paragraphs or even some dividing lines.
Alright, I've added some more spacing between different points for future releases, so hopefully this is mitigated somewhat.

I was thinking... is it good or bad idea to make confing somehow compatible to new versions? Is it would be better if new added parameters will go to the bottom of .ini file so user can just copypaste top section from his older .ini/add bottom part to his old confing and use this for replacement. Just idea. it's up to you man. As i said i really don't want to go through all of this again, because i changed quite a bit of parameters, but barely remember what exactly i did so to properly update i should compare them side by side on my screen and manually check everything. Just imagine that pain.
This is a very good point. I probably will still place any new additions to the .ini file where they seem to fit most, but I'll make sure to note in the changelogs when there's a new addition and add some stuff to highlight it in the file. Thank you.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi I would like to take extreme advantage in my Nex start to set up a role playing condition of a "Fortress Europe" sort of sector in which the core starts out completely kitted out with max defense.  Partly to inhibit one of my cheese moves:  getting 500 Marines and heavy armaments and going around capturing colonies that have no orbitals for my faction.

I intend to go crazy with these options:

"SMaddStations":1,               #Integer (0-2). Default 1.
      #1: Adds Stations to non-Pirate/LP markets of a given size (if they did not have any before).
      #2: Adds Stations to all markets of a given size (if they did not have any before).
      #0 or Otherwise: No effect.
      "SMsizeForStarFortress":7,      #Integer. Default 7.
         #Minimum market size for Star Fortress of random type to be added if applicable.
      "SMsizeForBattleStation":6,      #Integer. Default 6.
         #Minimum market size for Battle Station of random type to be added if applicable.
      "SMsizeForOrbitalStation":5,   #Integer. Default 5.
         #Minimum market size for Orbital Station of random type to be added if applicable.

However this is my first read of the .ini file and I don't really know what I'm doing...

1.  Am I correct that this setting would mean that all planets would get a station?:
"SMaddStations":2 

2.  Is the below the correct config if I want all planets to start with a Star Fortress?:
"SMsizeForStarFortress":1    # heavy dogg in the front yard fo sho
"SMsizeForBattleStation":7,
"SMsizeForOrbitalStation":7

3.   Am I correct in assuming that the above settings would affect new colonies founded by a faction, after the game starts?

4.  Is there a config, or a planned option for the following:   Increase the instance of defensive fleets for *any* colonized core planet?  Orbitals are great and the above configs are going to be a big help.

a.  And if the feature is possible:  the weight of those fleets is important.  For example, in my recent Nexerelin start as Diable faction:  Diable Avionics had a sector that started with with two meh defensive fleets with one or two capitals each.  Only a few light years away from Hegemony core systems.   Of course within the first game year, Hegemony comes calling with two much more heavy fleets, including a "Grand Fleet" with 6+ capitals and just rolls over the sector, including the Star Fortress.  Not even a close match.  Pretty demoralizing since I was commissioned with Diable and had to stand by and see the system lost.

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hiya.

1: Yep!

2: Yes, but don't forget the commas at the end of each line.

3: No, it doesn't have any mid-game effects and in fact only applies on new games. There's a console command to put it into effect during your game, so if you wanted you could use it whenever a colony gets established, but that's understandably a hassle. Maybe I'll consider an option to allow it to happen during economy updates, but it'd take some effort to make it not feel more clunky than the current implementation (plus Nex already handles colony industry development, I believe). Let me know how this playthrough goes; if it starts falling apart due to colonized planets being too easy to exploit I can try to cook something up.

4. You'd want to add military bases/high commands to the markets. There are options for those in the settings file as well. Be mindful that it also adds military markets, if I recall correctly.

4a. I believe simply having the military bases/high commands would help immensely with this, but what sorts of fleets are created by factions is handled based on their faction doctrine. That alone would probably be enough. You could also consider weakening everyone's fleets with Doctrine Evolution settings, if you're using that part of the mod, to make the stations have a more pronounced effect on the outcomes (merely set the flat bonus to be negative).

Thanks for trying out the mod; I hope the scenario runs well.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

I really appreciate the guidance/help.  So here is what is what I'm trying out for the "Fortress Europe" sector start:

"SMaffectModFactions":true,      // I want mod factions to get a defense upgrade as well
"SMsizeForHeavyBatteries":4,   // my own colonies by size 4ish have all their ground defenses fully upgraded
"SMaddMilitaryBase":2, "SMsizeForHighCommand":5, "SMsizeForMilitaryBase":3,   // need more fleet defense

// this one I'm a little doubtful about since it gives Pirate/LP planets a station...which means if they share the sector with an enemy,
// that enemy will immediately go and deplete their patrols/fleets to destroy the station
// but why would Pirates and Luddic Path *not* upgrade their defenses if everyone else is also forting up?
"SMaddStations":2,

"SMsizeForStarFortress":4, "SMsizeForBattleStation":2, "SMsizeForOrbitalStation":1,    // dog in the front yard.  everywhere

// because of all these new fleets, stations, etc. I expect lots of free salvage floating around (player cheese!  yum).  I removed some cheese from my diet a bit with this setting I hope.
"useHullMod":true,

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if its some interaction with other mods I'm using but with Nexerin upon returning the core worlds (I usually spend my first 6 months exploring deep space) I get periodic 1 sec freezes about every 6 to 8 seconds.  This starts to occur about the same time the AI invasion fleets start.  It is not corrected by restarting but somehow seems tied to the save game itself (tested with exiting and reloading the save without relaunching the game, as well as with a full relaunch). 

Removing Second wave completely resolves the issue with all other settings from all other mods unchanged.  Is there anything I can provide that would help you look into the issue?  Has this popped up somewhere else that I just failed to find?  I saw a post from Alex someplace else in this forum where people were having issues with stations endlessly replicating some type of procurement mission over and over. 

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question but I would love to utilize this mod, but at least in my installation I just can't handle the spikes. 

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if its some interaction with other mods I'm using but with Nexerin upon returning the core worlds (I usually spend my first 6 months exploring deep space) I get periodic 1 sec freezes about every 6 to 8 seconds.  This starts to occur about the same time the AI invasion fleets start.  It is not corrected by restarting but somehow seems tied to the save game itself (tested with exiting and reloading the save without relaunching the game, as well as with a full relaunch). 

Removing Second wave completely resolves the issue with all other settings from all other mods unchanged.  Is there anything I can provide that would help you look into the issue?  Has this popped up somewhere else that I just failed to find?  I saw a post from Alex someplace else in this forum where people were having issues with stations endlessly replicating some type of procurement mission over and over.
Yikes, first I've heard of it, unfortunately. Sorry about your problem and thanks for the report. I've got guesses as to what might be causing it (though if it is what I'm thinking I thought I fixed it in testing :weary:).

If your modlist is fairly small, I could try running your save and see if I can pinpoint the problem. Otherwise, I can try to find something in your starsector.log. If you've edited RCSW_SETTINGS.ini, that would be helpful for me as well.

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ill start another save tonight with it enabled and rush towards when invasions begin happening as that has always been the time when the cyclic pauses begin.  My mod list is rather extensive which I attribute to some lag periodically which is to be expected, but this persisted through saves/restarts etc and seems to be unique to each campaign. 

And done, let me know how to get this log file to you as its too large to attach here.    Thank you for your hard work whether you find a solution or not. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:32:27 PM by wtftucker »

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hmmm. If you have Discord you can reach me through PMs or the Starsector Unofficial Discord Server via Rubin#0864. Otherwise, I've been trying to reproduce it on my side by I'm not really getting the hitches you're facing. Can you tell me approximately what month/cycle and in an example system where you start getting these problems? Also, have you made any changes to the .ini file?

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile

This mod said to be compatible with Archean Order but when I try it, it crashes during startup with this message:
https://imgur.com/DFOTLaJ

and here is the error log:
Code
[Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [kite_Interceptor] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [kite_Interceptor] not found!
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.B.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.B.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.V$Oo.getFPCost(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.V.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.?O0000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.?O0000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

I tested it on my end and it still seems to work fine. My guess is that there were some overwriting issues or a corrupted download.

Try deleting the mod folders from /mods/ and re-adding them. If that still doesn't work, try redownloading and repeat the previous step.

MaysaChan

• Ensign
  • Mod collector & rookie anime artist
    • View Profile

I tested it on my end and it still seems to work fine. My guess is that there were some overwriting issues or a corrupted download.

Try deleting the mod folders from /mods/ and re-adding them. If that still doesn't work, try redownloading and repeat the previous step.

I try both and still get the same issue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10