Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legion XIV  (Read 10004 times)

InvictusImperator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Legion XIV
« on: October 27, 2019, 02:24:35 AM »

Managed to find this absolution unit while exploring with my relatively early game fleet. How rare  is the XIV legion and how is it different in terms of power to the normal one? Also, what is a good setup for it? Thanks.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Legion XIV
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 02:28:55 AM »

Managed to find this absolution unit while exploring with my relatively early game fleet. How rare  is the XIV legion and how is it different in terms of power to the normal one? Also, what is a good setup for it? Thanks.

XIV Legions can't be bought or manufactured, there is a fixed number of recoverable derelicts (seems to be 2-4 per seed) and those are the only ones in the entire sector.

Pro tip: carefully explore all other systems in the constellation where you've found your Legion.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 02:43:26 AM »

I personally prefer them to the normal legion as their large missile launchers can easily assist in overloading and annihilating a cocky opponent.

Medium sized ballistics should be fine for engaging most opponents.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »

I think 90% of people prefer them since the normal Legion doesn't have nowhere near the flux to use its 2 large mounts. Not to say they're unusable, but the only thing that won't overflux it are Hellbores.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:54:04 AM »

I managed to find a total of 4-5 usable Legion XIV.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:17:16 AM »

I think 90% of people prefer them since the normal Legion doesn't have nowhere near the flux to use its 2 large mounts. Not to say they're unusable, but the only thing that won't overflux it are Hellbores.
I am the other way.  All I use on normal Legion are the two big mounts, plus two or three mediums.  All smalls are empty.  Larges are either HAG and Mark IX, or Mjolnir and Heavy Needler.  Side two mediums are dual flak.  Front medium may have Heavy Needler.  Legion is one of the those ships where most of the mounts are empty.

If I do not use missiles, I prefer normal Legion.  Legion XIV is nice for being the only good ship that can use dumb-fire larges like Hammer Barrage effectively.  Too bad it is not renewable.  Locusts are good, but I prefer to use Conquest if I go that route.  The point of Legion XIV is to use dumb-fire large missiles like Hammer Barrage.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »

The XIV Legion has a hullmod that gives it slightly better armor, flux, and OP capacity than the normal Legion. It's also got a completely different slot layout; the regular Legion has 5 medium composite (ballistic/missile) turrets and 2 large ballistics, the XIV Legion has 5 medium ballistic turrets and 2 large missile turrets. They're both very flexible ships, capable of filling almost any role from big frontline brick to long-range support ship, but the Legion XIV is notable for being the best platform in the game for Hammer Barrages or Cyclone Reaper Launchers. Try using your fighters for kinetic damage and EMP, e.g. 2 Broadswords and 2 Claws/2 Xyphos, get some medium kinetics and a little bit of HE, and use your fighters and guns to set up for the big torpedo strike.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »

XIV Legions can't be bought or manufactured, there is a fixed number of recoverable derelicts (seems to be 2-4 per seed) and those are the only ones in the entire sector.

Pro tip: carefully explore all other systems in the constellation where you've found your Legion.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15921.0

Alex is adding it at some point, so that's good news.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:44:53 AM »

I've never recovered more than 2 Legion XIV, but that might be because of the 30 ship limit. I prefer the normal Legion weapon loadout, but I'm not too fussed either way, though I guess the Legion XIV is the only vanilla ship with a turreted large missile mount, that isn't interesting enough for me to prefer it.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15921.0

Alex is adding it at some point, so that's good news.

What Alex said is that he is adding it to default_roles (where it already should have been), so that if you mod or cheat yourself the blueprint you can actually use it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »

I guess the Legion XIV is the only vanilla ship with a turreted large missile mount, that isn't interesting enough for me to prefer it.
There is Astral, although it is stupid to use Astral for dual Hammer Barrage/Cyclone Reaper when it should spend most or all of its OP mounting high-end bombers and carrier hullmods.  Astral is a dedicated carrier.  Why should I build for large missiles when it has infinite missiles via fighters, and use them better than other carriers thanks to Recall Device?

The only reason for me to use Legion XIV is it is the only ship that can use Hammer Barrage (and Cyclone Reaper) without getting killed trying to use them.  Gryphon is too fragile for brawling up-close with large dumb-fire missiles.  Other ships (that are not jokes like Pather ships) cannot or should not use large dumb-fire missiles.

I kind of wish pre-0.7.2a Aurora with large missile mount made a comeback.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »

Is it even possible to build a battlebus astral?

It's defences aren't really that great in all honesty, but I dunno. It feels theoretically possible.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »

Is it even possible to build a battlebus astral?
Today, I doubt it, especially with Astral's slow speed, and enemy AI is generally cowardly.  It was possible back in pre-0.7a releases, although it was practically a slower and fatter Odyssey with more flight decks.  (Carriers were no good during 0.7.x when officers came and there were no fighter skills.)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 09:00:17 AM »

Astral needs to invest a lot of OP into bombers. There isn't much left for direct combat weapons and hullmods. Trying to do the opposite just plays to Astral's weakness instead of strength.

Legion is pretty much the opposite. 4 wings without boosting ship system are not going to cut it against other capitals, you have to build around guns/missiles primarily.
And from my testing I'd say that basic Legion is better than XIV. Missiles are easy to counter (2 out of 4 direct combat caps just do it naturally, Paragon with fortress shield and Onslaught with sufficient flak) and run out, Gauss Cannons can't be easily played around.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:02:40 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »

Legion XIV is good making things disappear fast with Hammer Barrage.  Legion XIV is not an endurance fighter, but (with dumb-fire missiles) more of a fireball wizard.  That said, I probably would not use either Legion in an Ordos hunter fleet.  I would not use homing missiles on Legion XIV, Conquest can do that job and fight better.  What Conquest cannot do very well is drive up to enemies and unload Hammers or Reapers at them.  Legion XIV can do that.  I just wished Legion XIV was not the only ship that can use dumb-fire larges well.  I suppose Radiant for those with Automated Ships skill next release can do that, but getting a single tier 5 skill like that is a huge price.

Hammer Barrage is one of those fairly common weapons that can be found in Open Market.  I just wished there were good ships that could use them effectively.

I use normal Legion like a dreadnought with fighters.  Big guns only (thanks bad dissipation) and fighters.  If I want a 40 DP capital with just guns and missiles only, I use Onslaught or Conquest.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:15:19 AM by Megas »
Pages: [1] 2