Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126150 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.2)
« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »

How the heck do I trigger the Lobster quest? Umbra in my playthrough is under the ownership of Blackrock and none of the bar contacts are triggering.

Sometimes if Umbra switches control or becomes decivilized it can take a while for the quest to appear in the bar. Also it won't show up if you use randomized core worlds.

GeneralWaffles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »

So i found the mothership and nuked it with my exploration fleet, now i have two of the terraforming devices and I want to know how they work exactly since, i've seen that worlds revert if their is no terraforming structures on the planet, so will worlds revert if i use the device on them or will they stay as terran worlds?

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »

So i found the mothership and nuked it with my exploration fleet, now i have two of the terraforming devices and I want to know how they work exactly since, i've seen that worlds revert if their is no terraforming structures on the planet, so will worlds revert if i use the device on them or will they stay as terran worlds?

Worlds terraformed by Miller Urey don't revert.

GeneralWaffles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »

Worlds terraformed by Miller Urey don't revert.

Alright thanks

Prolbo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2020, 04:21:03 AM »

Nice mod. I really like it. Hope so,eday it will become a part of vanilla functions.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2020, 05:16:07 AM »

Nice mod. I really like it. Hope so,eday it will become a part of vanilla functions.

Thank you! I doubt terraforming will ever be implemented in vanilla, but if the developers did want to do so I would have no objection.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »

A little suggestion in case you're starved for any: there's an "Abandoned Skyhook Anchor" floating around Loutron in the Al Gebbar system, and I feel like the ability to build your own skyhooks would make for a nice, lore-friendly way to increase accessibility.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:02:39 PM by Uhlang »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 30, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »

A little suggestion in case you're starved for any: there's an "Abandoned Skyhook Anchor" floating around Loutron in the Al Gebbar system, and I feel like the ability to build your own skyhooks would make for a nice, lore-friendly way to increase accessibility.

I've examined this idea before but always rejected it because the skyhook would clutter up the space near the planet.

Based on the large number of requests for this, perhaps I should look at implementing them anyway. A new idea I'm considering is to make them just a structure with no campaign layer presence. I could make them cost domain artifacts to maintain, and make the accessibility increase correspond with the gravity level on the planet. Maybe this could be a pseudo-terraforming option to deal with high gravity. Let me know what you think.

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2020, 03:29:09 PM »

I've examined this idea before but always rejected it because the skyhook would clutter up the space near the planet.

Based on the large number of requests for this, perhaps I should look at implementing them anyway. A new idea I'm considering is to make them just a structure with no campaign layer presence. I could make them cost domain artifacts to maintain, and make the accessibility increase correspond with the gravity level on the planet. Maybe this could be a pseudo-terraforming option to deal with high gravity. Let me know what you think.
I don't think the clutter would be any worse than what we already get with terraformed moons and their trilateral reflector arrangement. We even have it in vanilla with Eochu Bres. Its mirrors make it an infamously annoying place to set a course to. Though, I definitely won't insist on a visible skyhook.

When you say that skyhooks would have a greater effect based on gravity, I assume you mean that they would be in higher demand on high gravity worlds and thus have a larger accessibility bonus there, not that they would be fundamentally different somehow. That sounds good, but skyhooks are relatively primitive, so I don't see why they would need Domain artifacts. The one around Loutron doesn't seem like some fancy Domain supertech, and it supposedly worked fine before it was abandoned. I think it would be better to just allow their construction right from the start, if only to help all those poor souls who had many a paradise planet ruined by high gravity.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 30, 2020, 04:13:44 PM »

I don't think the clutter would be any worse than what we already get with terraformed moons and their trilateral reflector arrangement. We even have it in vanilla with Eochu Bres. Its mirrors make it an infamously annoying place to set a course to. Though, I definitely won't insist on a visible skyhook.

When you say that skyhooks would have a greater effect based on gravity, I assume you mean that they would be in higher demand on high gravity worlds and thus have a larger accessibility bonus there, not that they would be fundamentally different somehow. That sounds good, but skyhooks are relatively primitive, so I don't see why they would need Domain artifacts. The one around Loutron doesn't seem like some fancy Domain supertech, and it supposedly worked fine before it was abandoned. I think it would be better to just allow their construction right from the start, if only to help all those poor souls who had many a paradise planet ruined by high gravity.

I meant that a world with high gravity will receive a much larger benefit from building a skyhook than a low gravity world where getting mass to orbit is already easy. I think the best way to represent this in-game is to make the skyhook provide a larger increase in accessibility for high gravity planets. I was thinking: +20% accessibility on low gravity worlds, +30% accessibility on normal worlds and +40% accessibility on high gravity worlds. The high gravity condition itself would be unchanged, but the accessibility penalty would be counteracted by the increased boost from the skyhook.

The domain artifacts will be produced by an industry (like food, metal, etc.) that can be built on worlds with ruins. Even if the artifact commodity demand isn't met, the player can still build those structures - they would just cost more credits to maintain. The fact that Loutron is the only location where a skyhook is found, and there are no operating ones in the Sector, support the idea that it was built using Domain industrial methods. Perhaps I will set the artifact commodity demand to one at all colony sizes so it could still be profitable to build one even if you don't have a domain artifact industry built yet.

In any event, the domain artifact industry will be completely optional, and people who don't want to use it can disable it in the settings file.

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2020, 08:53:04 AM »

I like that you want to stick with Gravity and Tectonic Activity being "hard" market conditions. That actually fits the lore quite well as the absence of these on a barren world is what marked those barren worlds as "terraforming candidates" for the domain. Not every rock floating in space should be worth the investment.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »

I like that you want to stick with Gravity and Tectonic Activity being "hard" market conditions. That actually fits the lore quite well as the absence of these on a barren world is what marked those barren worlds as "terraforming candidates" for the domain. Not every rock floating in space should be worth the investment.

My thoughts exactly.

Eshir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »

I Found a MUD while i'm playing as pirates so i've got a pirate commision and i'm a governor of a colony and i can't use the MUD on it so how can i use the MUD on it then?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »

I Found a MUD while i'm playing as pirates so i've got a pirate commision and i'm a governor of a colony and i can't use the MUD on it so how can i use the MUD on it then?

The MUD can only be used on player-faction controlled planets. I wasn't aware it was possible to gain control of a planet without it being part of the player faction. I'm working on a major update for this mod right now (hope to have it out within the next week or two), and I will include changes to account for this circumstance. Sorry!

Kur0Shir0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2020, 03:56:06 AM »

Just posting here for specifiying a bug I found with the skyhook anchor. It appear on some of my planets habitability bonus when I didn't actually build it (like, I never built it nowhere at the moment), and it doesn't seems to depend on planetary type or governor, didn't find it yet on AI controlled planet, but, maybe?

Also, I run on a session from when the mod was in 4.0.0, so maybe that's the cause of the bug, updated it recently to 4.0.2, but still it didn't appear on all my world. As it could easily pass unseen, I've prefered to still give you the information.

Btw, this mod is awesome, thanks. :D
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24