Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126775 times)

redomer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.0)
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »

Pretty sure you can as long as there are shades or mirrors in orbit and water gets supplied. I think I even did that in this game.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »

Any chance you can add options in the files to adjust the prices/upkeep/time-to-work of all the structures? Would be useful for people who want to make terraforming a very, very endgame thing.

edit: just looked in some files, does the industries.csv sheet's 'cost mult' and 'upkeep' columns correspond directly to credit cost/upkeep and will it affect anything else if they're changed?

Yes, I will add this feature in the next update.

I got a got a problem. I am trying to terraform a bunch of planets in one system but I can't build the sling because all planets are barren and no planet is big enough to support a station. What do?

You cannot terraform barren planets, but you can terraform "barren-desert" planets.

You can build the Drone Control Nexus on the mining stations and siphon stations from my other mod, Player Station Construction. Are there any gas giants or asteroid fields/belts in the system? If so, you can build a station and then build the Drone Control Nexus on it.

Pretty sure you can as long as there are shades or mirrors in orbit and water gets supplied. I think I even did that in this game.

This method can terraform planets classified as barren-desert, but not barren planets themselves. You'll need a MUD to terraform truly barren planets.

redomer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2020, 12:38:24 AM »

Oof. My bad then. Yeah. No asteroids or gas giants in the system. Guess I gotta whip out the two MUD I still have and find some new ones.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »

You cannot terraform barren planets

And that is a problem. IMO.

[Scientific mode ON]
Each time we are talking about terraforming we should consider four huge objectives it consist of:

-Temperature.
-Atmosphere.
-Hydrosphere.
-Lithosphere.

Probably, the most understandable part is a temperature. Obviously, you should cool the hot planets and warm up the cold ones. Nowadays science is unable to make this, but Sci-Fi have a many ways to do so. In a Starsector vanilla it is made by a solar shades and a stellar mirrors orbiting some core worlds planets. This method is already implemented in a mod.

Other objective already possible by this mod is a Hydrosphere. Capturing an icy asteroids and guiding them to any desirable planet is possible even with a modern technologies, all the problem is the amount of resources you are ready to spend. No magic here.

Barren planets has no atmosphere at all. That might be looks bad, but it is not. You see, the Earth hydrosphere mass is 1.46*1021 kg and the atmosphere mass is 5.2*1018 kg. That means, adding an air to Earth-sized planets is approximately 10000 times easier, than adding a water, which is already possible by this mod. Each solar system has a lot of frozen pieces of ice in its Kuiper belts, many of them are ammoniac - good source of a nitrogen, 78% of the atmosphere. Oxygen can be found both in an asteroids and a planetary cores of a barren planets in a bound state. So, there are no problem with a source. However, adding an atmosphere is only half of a problem, the other one - is to hold it. Lack of a gravity and/or magnetic field will result solar wind will blow all the air you add. Changing a gravity or a magnetic field is a tricky task. Fortunately, we do not need this, as vanilla already has an answer, called a "planetary shield". If that thing is able to complicate penetration from the outside, it should be able to keep gases inside, and stop the solar winds. Consider it as a planetary-scale dome.

Lithosphere is the hardest challenge. You can't replace even a small upper layer if it is inappropriate. That is such a HUGE effort, even MUD magic can't deal with. However, it is not necessarily you need it at all. See, not all of the barren worlds has a poisonous inappropriate core. Earth's Moon can be considered as a typical barren, or a barren-bombarded world. Soil samples, delivered by the Apollo missions shows, that it is fit to farming if water and organics is added. Results, similar to Moon was acquired from a Mars probes. That is not surprising, as all of the planets was made from the same accretion disk, and contain exactly same elements in a different proportion. Many of a Starsector systems have a habitable worlds, that means barren planets have a serious chance to consist of a proper substances to support life.

If short - barren planets should be able to terraform. If not all, but some kinds. If not to terran type, but something else.
[Scientific mode OFF]

Frankly said, I don't need it. I'm OK with my barren planets remain barren. However, I just have to say all of this. For great justice!©
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 04, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »

You cannot terraform barren planets

And that is a problem. IMO.

[Scientific mode ON]
Each time we are talking about terraforming we should consider four huge objectives it consist of:

-Temperature.
-Atmosphere.
-Hydrosphere.
-Lithosphere.

Probably, the most understandable part is a temperature. Obviously, you should cool the hot planets and warm up the cold ones. Nowadays science is unable to make this, but Sci-Fi have a many ways to do so. In a Starsector vanilla it is made by a solar shades and a stellar mirrors orbiting some core worlds planets. This method is already implemented in a mod.

Other objective already possible by this mod is a Hydrosphere. Capturing an icy asteroids and guiding them to any desirable planet is possible even with a modern technologies, all the problem is the amount of resources you are ready to spend. No magic here.

Barren planets has no atmosphere at all. That might be looks bad, but it is not. You see, the Earth hydrosphere mass is 1.46*1021 kg and the atmosphere mass is 5.2*1018 kg. That means, adding an air to Earth-sized planets is approximately 10000 times easier, than adding a water, which is already possible by this mod. Each solar system has a lot of frozen pieces of ice in its Kuiper belts, many of them are ammoniac - good source of a nitrogen, 78% of the atmosphere. Oxygen can be found both in an asteroids and a planetary cores of a barren planets in a bound state. So, there are no problem with a source. However, adding an atmosphere is only half of a problem, the other one - is to hold it. Lack of a gravity and/or magnetic field will result solar wind will blow all the air you add. Changing a gravity or a magnetic field is a tricky task. Fortunately, we do not need this, as vanilla already has an answer, called a "planetary shield". If that thing is able to complicate penetration from the outside, it should be able to keep gases inside, and stop the solar winds. Consider it as a planetary-scale dome.

Lithosphere is the hardest challenge. You can't replace even a small upper layer if it is inappropriate. That is such a HUGE effort, even MUD magic can't deal with. However, it is not necessarily you need it at all. See, not all of the barren worlds has a poisonous inappropriate core. Earth's Moon can be considered as a typical barren, or a barren-bombarded world. Soil samples, delivered by the Apollo missions shows, that it is fit to farming if water and organics is added. Results, similar to Moon was acquired from a Mars probes. That is not surprising, as all of the planets was made from the same accretion disk, and contain exactly same elements in a different proportion. Many of a Starsector systems have a habitable worlds, that means barren planets have a serious chance to consist of a proper substances to support life.

If short - barren planets should be able to terraform. If not all, but some kinds. If not to terran type, but something else.
[Scientific mode OFF]

Frankly said, I don't need it. I'm OK with my barren planets remain barren. However, I just have to say all of this. For great justice!©

You're right, and I hope to rework terraforming at some point in the future to closely resemble what you've proposed. It's more complicated to do this than you may think, and I don't have planet textures to show planets in an intermediate stage of terraforming. I'm hoping another game that I've already stolen some art from (Stars in Shadow) will release their terraforming update, which will allow me to get the textures I think I need for the rework. No guarantees though!

FahadXray

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2020, 02:12:43 AM »

Hey guys, got a question. For some reason this Auric planet (which should be part of the arid group) is not terraforming, I've already build a drone control center in the system, and there's a windy arid planet in this system that's currently being terraformed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2020, 07:41:02 AM »

It's more complicated to do this than you may think

I think it is probably as hard, as having sex in a 69-way in a standing position in a hammock. ©

I am aware that game have no build-in instruments, that can help you. Creating them is basically equal to making your own game inside existing one. That is main reason I don't ask you to do so. Let the barren planets remain barren. There are still many things, way more easier and needful, you can do instead of that.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »

Hey guys, got a question. For some reason this Auric planet (which should be part of the arid group) is not terraforming, I've already build a drone control center in the system, and there's a windy arid planet in this system that's currently being terraformed.

Auric planets are considered part of the terran group for the purposes of my mod. Therefore, they cannot be terraformed. I assigned it to this group based on the description of the planet, which indicates it can support life and says nothing about temperatures/hydrosphere. If auric planets always have hot or very hot temperatures, let me know and I will switch it to the desert category. Thanks!

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2020, 07:06:24 AM »

There's no support for Valjean, an arid world from Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering.

The error message says that its planet type is "istl_aridbread".

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »

There's no support for Valjean, an arid world from Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering.

The error message says that its planet type is "istl_aridbread".

I'll add support for this planet in the next patch. Thank you for letting me know about this!

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v4.0.1)
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2020, 06:10:33 PM »

This is a great mod.
Terraforming was something that the game desperately needs considering colonization content.
The most tedious thing about Starsector playthroughs for me is hunting for "that" system that's good enough for me to finally settle in, and there's always something not right with every one I find. That terran planet has high gravity, that system has no volatiles, etc. Good to know I can finally get some tools at my disposal.

I would only like to know one thing: is it possible to remove the "Tectonic Activity" and "Pollution" modifiers somehow from a planet that's already Terran? Will the MUD solve that for me?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »

"Tectonic Activity" and "Pollution" modifiers somehow from a planet that's already Terran? Will the MUD solve that for me?

"Tectonic Activity" - NO. Same thing is to a "hight\low gravity" and "no light". You can not improve that.

"Pollution" - YES. You do not need a MUD to do this. "Atmosphere Adjuster" structure will do the job. Slow and costly, tho'.

Advice: you do not need to hunt "perfect" system. Hazard modifiers are no more than small upkeep increase. Hight "accessibility" grants huge income, able to overlap even 275% hazard rating penalty. Besides, it is boring to have all the planets of a same terran type. Where would you seed lobsters? Just choose "good enough" system.

Kh0rnet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2020, 03:54:06 AM »

"Tectonic Activity" and "Pollution" modifiers somehow from a planet that's already Terran? Will the MUD solve that for me?

"Tectonic Activity" - NO. Same thing is to a "hight\low gravity" and "no light". You can not improve that.

"Pollution" - YES. You do not need a MUD to do this. "Atmosphere Adjuster" structure will do the job. Slow and costly, tho'.

Advice: you do not need to hunt "perfect" system. Hazard modifiers are no more than small upkeep increase. Hight "accessibility" grants huge income, able to overlap even 275% hazard rating penalty. Besides, it is boring to have all the planets of a same terran type. Where would you seed lobsters? Just choose "good enough" system.

I am aware of all that, of course, but WHAT IF I set up my colonies then one cycle later I find an even BETTER system? That thought doesn't let me sleep at night, I tell ya...

As for the "Dark" hazard, we are getting artificial suns in the core game next update... I can't wait for 2025!
"Tectonic Activity" honestly makes no sense to be logically fixable, which is something I hate because I'd love if terraforming provided a logical (if expensive/tedious) solution to every planetary hazard. How would you realistically stabilize a planet's tectonic plates though?

Same for gravity (I absolutely HATE "High Gravity", it ruined more than one terran world for me...). I imagine some kind of planet-wide, giant gravitational stabilizers wouldn't be considered more space magic than we already have?

Maybe, ultimately, for balance reasons, terraforming shouldn't eliminate the hazard conditions but reduce their hazard rating by some amount, like -15% or -10%? In lieu of this mechanic, it would also be cool if the already existing terraforming methods didn't eliminate the hazard outright one day, but reduced its hazard rating steadily over time. So, for example, the pollution doesn't just evaporate one day, but steadily decreases over the cycles.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 09, 2020, 04:31:54 AM »

Well, you can always:

"boggledMillerUreyDeviceFixesGravityConditions":true,
"boggledMillerUreyDeviceFixesTectonicConditions":true,

Boring as it can be. Your choice, thought. 

How would you realistically stabilize a planet's tectonic plates though?

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:37:00 AM by Mondaymonkey »

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2020, 08:18:13 AM »

Speaking of Tectonic Activity... Does it make sense for it to be a hazard on water worlds?
Cryovolcanic and frozen worlds can have it, and it stays when you terraform them into water worlds, but I honestly think it should disappear.
I mean, is tectonic activity really a threat when the plates(if they exist at all) are potentially hundreds of miles deep? Even if it's a water world that's on the shallower side, the consequent restlessness of the ocean seems like something that would be counted as part of the "Water-Covered Surface" hazard.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:33:55 AM by Uhlang »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24