Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126260 times)

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v3.0.4)
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »

I know that the idea of fixing things like tectonic activity and gravity conditions has been discussed already and the general argument against it has been that it would be lore-breaking (in a mod that is already lore-breaking).  I can understand how these two things can be considered overpowering, especially with the already existing terraforming functions in place.

However I feel that they can and should be done but with drawbacks to balance them out.  I'll start with the easier of the two, high/low gravity.  I believe that this can be fixed with the same sort of "mystery box" technology that MUDs already use.  To implement it into the game, however, I propose the following conditions:

• A rare blueprint must be found, similar (if not identical) to the Defense Shield quest.  Meaning having to face a massive enemy drone fleet to even unlock it.
  • The facility would be very expensive to build and, while cheap in credits to maintain, require hyperspace fuel to remain functional.  If the fuel supply is interrupted (pirates, raids, etc) then it stops working for that month and the gravity penalty returns for the duration as well.
  • It should require an industry slot.  This is the biggie.  Not just a structure, of which you get a max of 12, but an actual industry, which you get 4 of at most.  For this reason one must be very sure that it is actually worth it in the long run, especially considering that is a permanent facility.  Tear it down and the bad gravity penalty comes right back.

Moving on to curing tectonic activity, this too can be done.  First, context - high tectonic activity is usually linked to high levels of internal planetary heat just below the lithosphere, which is accurately represented in game by the fact that it most often appears on volcanic worlds.  Solving this would require finding a way to vent massive amounts of geothermal energy into space until the core of the planet has cooled off enough to stabilize its tectonic plates.

• Again, a blueprint would be required, but this could be a regular (albeit rare) blueprint found in ruins and whatnot.  Or another big fleet battle, your pick.
  • Structure should be expensive to build and very expensive to maintain, and again require an industry slot.  However the structure need not be permanent and could be dismantled once the process is completed.
  • Every 3 years the planet would drop in three categories - tectonic activity (extreme to regular, regular to gone), temperature (very hot to hot, hot to normal, normal to cold, cold to very cold) and atmosphere (regular to thin, thin to none).  Atmosphere because this heat stream is going to blow holes through the sky and cause massive devastation to said atmosphere.  Because of this one is going to want to hold off with the MUD until this whole process is complete, lest they accidentally ruin their little paradise.
  • Because of that it is possible that a planet may end up requiring solar mirrors afterward to bring the temperature back up to livable conditions, if the starting planet wasn't hot enough to soak the heat loss from the process.
  • While this is ongoing population growth drops by 5% and stability drops by 5 points as well, because holy crap that thing is terrifying and no one wants to live near it.  Access also drops by 50% because it makes approaching the planet very risky, and any player fleet docking there will lose 25% of CR for enduring the hazardous atmospheric effects.
  • Any successful raid on that specific facility will trigger a explosion that both destroys the facility and drops stability by 10 points.

So again, could it be done?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  That's debatable, or rather yes it is but it is going to be a very heavy, very intense and long term investment that will make the colony not only highly vulnerable but most likely completely useless until it is complete.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2020, 05:52:50 PM »

I know that the idea of fixing things like tectonic activity and gravity conditions has been discussed already and the general argument against it has been that it would be lore-breaking (in a mod that is already lore-breaking).  I can understand how these two things can be considered overpowering, especially with the already existing terraforming functions in place.

I also second the idea of having a measure to deal with High/Low Gravity and (Extreme) Tectonic Activity, since they are incredibly common hazards.

As for the suggestions or measures on how to do it, i can't really provide a way or critic the mentioned method.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2020, 08:55:06 PM »

Absolut Off-Topic , but must be said.

@ NephilimNexus :

You wrote that Pirates in Nex don`t do invasions ; but that is a setting you can switch.

In my actual game i allow them invasions and they do it alot , just as Side-Note.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »

I did not know this - I shall have to try it!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

However I feel that they can and should be done but with drawbacks to balance them out.  I'll start with the easier of the two, high/low gravity.  I believe that this can be fixed with the same sort of "mystery box" technology that MUDs already use.  To implement it into the game, however, I propose the following conditions:

• A rare blueprint must be found, similar (if not identical) to the Defense Shield quest.  Meaning having to face a massive enemy drone fleet to even unlock it.
  • The facility would be very expensive to build and, while cheap in credits to maintain, require hyperspace fuel to remain functional.  If the fuel supply is interrupted (pirates, raids, etc) then it stops working for that month and the gravity penalty returns for the duration as well.
  • It should require an industry slot.  This is the biggie.  Not just a structure, of which you get a max of 12, but an actual industry, which you get 4 of at most.  For this reason one must be very sure that it is actually worth it in the long run, especially considering that is a permanent facility.  Tear it down and the bad gravity penalty comes right back.

Moving on to curing tectonic activity, this too can be done.  First, context - high tectonic activity is usually linked to high levels of internal planetary heat just below the lithosphere, which is accurately represented in game by the fact that it most often appears on volcanic worlds.  Solving this would require finding a way to vent massive amounts of geothermal energy into space until the core of the planet has cooled off enough to stabilize its tectonic plates.

• Again, a blueprint would be required, but this could be a regular (albeit rare) blueprint found in ruins and whatnot.  Or another big fleet battle, your pick.
  • Structure should be expensive to build and very expensive to maintain, and again require an industry slot.  However the structure need not be permanent and could be dismantled once the process is completed.
  • Every 3 years the planet would drop in three categories - tectonic activity (extreme to regular, regular to gone), temperature (very hot to hot, hot to normal, normal to cold, cold to very cold) and atmosphere (regular to thin, thin to none).  Atmosphere because this heat stream is going to blow holes through the sky and cause massive devastation to said atmosphere.  Because of this one is going to want to hold off with the MUD until this whole process is complete, lest they accidentally ruin their little paradise.
  • Because of that it is possible that a planet may end up requiring solar mirrors afterward to bring the temperature back up to livable conditions, if the starting planet wasn't hot enough to soak the heat loss from the process.
  • While this is ongoing population growth drops by 5% and stability drops by 5 points as well, because holy crap that thing is terrifying and no one wants to live near it.  Access also drops by 50% because it makes approaching the planet very risky, and any player fleet docking there will lose 25% of CR for enduring the hazardous atmospheric effects.
  • Any successful raid on that specific facility will trigger a explosion that both destroys the facility and drops stability by 10 points.

So again, could it be done?  Yes.  Is it worth it?  That's debatable, or rather yes it is but it is going to be a very heavy, very intense and long term investment that will make the colony not only highly vulnerable but most likely completely useless until it is complete.

I think I should probably add some way to remove high/low gravity and tectonic conditions due to the popular demand, but this is never going to be a default feature due to the extreme lore breaking nature of removing those conditions. Therefore I don't want to spend a huge amount of time developing complex structures/procedures because most players will never use them.

The ideas you propose, while interesting, definitely would require way too much development time. I'll come up with something easier to develop to satisfy the people who want this.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 29, 2020, 07:03:25 AM »

so i got to ask, i have played a few games now with this mod and have NEVER found a M.U.D. anywhere. I had actually forgotten it (the M.U.D.) even existed until i was going through my mods again, so...

where the heck are you supposed to find these things?!?!?!?!?
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

TheSAguy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 29, 2020, 07:49:41 AM »

Hi,

I wanted to confirm that Terraforming is only done by the player, not any other factions (NPC), correct?
How can I make the cost higher?
Thanks.,

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 29, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »

so i got to ask, i have played a few games now with this mod and have NEVER found a M.U.D. anywhere. I had actually forgotten it (the M.U.D.) even existed until i was going through my mods again, so...

where the heck are you supposed to find these things?!?!?!?!?

The MUD can only be found by looting Domain motherships and survey ships. If you've already destroyed them all in your save, the MUD can only be obtained using the console.

Hi,

I wanted to confirm that Terraforming is only done by the player, not any other factions (NPC), correct?
How can I make the cost higher?
Thanks.,

NPCs cannot initiate terraforming but it should continue normally if a NPC faction gains control of a world where terraforming is in progress.

Which costs did you want to make higher? I can add a setting to increase the costs.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 29, 2020, 05:02:15 PM »

thanks for the info, i will start looking for some domain ships.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 29, 2020, 11:56:29 PM »

Players typically receive about 4-6 MUDs for destroying all the Domain ships

Dude, I don't want to complain, but I already have 6 of them in my new started game. And it is still a minimum of four survey ships exist, as factions sometimes gives a mission to run a sensor package in that four sectors. Even more, one more mothership may (or may not, as sometimes it is only one is generated) exist, as only one is currently found.

Am I a lucky man?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2020, 02:21:24 AM »

I'll come up with something easier to develop to satisfy the people who want this.
Roll it into the MUD.
And then put a flag on it that can be set in the options.
"enableMUDgravitychange": true/false,
"enableMUDtectonicschange": true/false,
Or something along those lines.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2020, 06:48:42 AM »

I'll come up with something easier to develop to satisfy the people who want this.
Roll it into the MUD.
And then put a flag on it that can be set in the options.
"enableMUDgravitychange": true/false,
"enableMUDtectonicschange": true/false,
Or something along those lines.

This is a great idea. I'm almost done with the Volturnian lobster quest, and when that's finished I will implement this.

Players typically receive about 4-6 MUDs for destroying all the Domain ships

Dude, I don't want to complain, but I already have 6 of them in my new started game. And it is still a minimum of four survey ships exist, as factions sometimes gives a mission to run a sensor package in that four sectors. Even more, one more mothership may (or may not, as sometimes it is only one is generated) exist, as only one is currently found.

Am I a lucky man?

How many motherships and survey ships have you destroyed? There's a 35% chance to loot a MUD from survey ships, so you may have gotten very lucky.

McMuster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »

L O B S T E R Q U E S T

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »

One mothership and six survey ships. Only one of them haven't loot a MUD.

I have almost forgot a school math, but it is seems like 0.84% probability to score 6 of 7 on 0.35 loot chance. Bernoulli formula used, but I can be wrong.

P.S. I was wrong about motherships. There are only one mothership is generated in vanilla. Mixed up with cryosleepers, they are two. Still minimal of 4 survey ships left.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »

One mothership and six survey ships. Only one of them haven't loot a MUD.

I have almost forgot a school math, but it is seems like 0.84% probability to score 6 of 7 on 0.35 loot chance. Bernoulli formula used, but I can be wrong.

P.S. I was wrong about motherships. There are only one mothership is generated in vanilla. Mixed up with cryosleepers, they are two. Still minimal of 4 survey ships left.

~1% chance is within the realm of possibility. It seems you got extremely lucky. If you start a new game and have similar results, then I would start becoming worried that there's a problem with the drop chances.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24