Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod  (Read 126206 times)

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.2.0)
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »

I installed this in the middle of a save so thats almost certainly it, but I'd thought I might as well show this off as maybe a thing that could be prepared for?
Its only for that specific device (The one to heat up the planet), the solar shade says the planet is too cold like it should.

Spoiler
[close]

Otherwise, enjoying your mod greatly! I'm personally on the fence about limiting the amount of items the player can get a hold of in the sector, I don't really like it, even if it fits with the lore, so I'd like a way to get them once you've fully explored a given sector. I'd suggest through a special event in the dockside bar or something for a very high price or something.

I've taken a look but I can't reproduce the bug you're having with that planet. Are you using any mods that make changes to planets or add planet types besides Unknown Skies? In the next version of the mod, I will add additional text to that error message to help with troubleshooting this sort of problem, but I don't want to annoy everyone with an update just for that.

As far as additional ways to obtain the Miller-Urey device go, I'm likely going to add missions/events to the mod that will allow the player to obtain it. I'm waiting on the next version of the game to implement this because the new raiding features will expand what can be done with missions. If you've already destroyed all the motherships in your current save, it would be reasonable to use the console to add a MUD to your inventory for each mothership destroyed. Type "additem euteck" to get one.

Codyrex123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:56 AM »

I've found another cryo-volcanic planet that has the same issue

If its super likely to be anything other than a faction mod possibly, it would be Secrets Of The Frontier which hasn't been released on the forums yet so if it is clashing then I wouldn't be surprised. Otherwise as far as I know other mods  I have installed shouldn't change/effect or create new types of planets. Whats really odd is the fact that the previous planet I was allowed to make a sling on it, but this new one I'm not allowed to that, despite it being as far as I can tell, the exact same planet type.

And something to note is that its a little odd that we're able to make Solar shades and stellar mirrors without a spaceport first, Convenient, but 'logically' its weird. I know in effect without a space port they wouldn't likely get the imports needed to work, but its just something to note.

does the terraforming device work on any planet or just ones recognized by the mod? I'm just curious to know if this might be somehow remediable in its current state until the next update.

Edit:
Found another odd one! Planet isn't hot, only negative condition it has (after I had cleared the decivilized sub population) was extreme tectonic plates
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:12:05 AM by Codyrex123 »

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »

If its super likely to be anything other than a faction mod possibly, it would be Secrets Of The Frontier which hasn't been released on the forums yet so if it is clashing then I wouldn't be surprised. Otherwise as far as I know other mods  I have installed shouldn't change/effect or create new types of planets. Whats really odd is the fact that the previous planet I was allowed to make a sling on it, but this new one I'm not allowed to that, despite it being as far as I can tell, the exact same planet type.

And something to note is that its a little odd that we're able to make Solar shades and stellar mirrors without a spaceport first, Convenient, but 'logically' its weird. I know in effect without a space port they wouldn't likely get the imports needed to work, but its just something to note.

does the terraforming device work on any planet or just ones recognized by the mod? I'm just curious to know if this might be somehow remediable in its current state until the next update.

Edit:
Found another odd one! Planet isn't hot, only negative condition it has (after I had cleared the decivilized sub population) was extreme tectonic plates
Spoiler
[close]

Would it be possible to PM me a link to the Secrets of the Frontier mod? I would be able to tell right away from looking at the code whether that mod is causing the issue. I would also be happy to add support for it if necessary so when it gets released there is no conflict.

I think it probably makes sense that the planet would need a spaceport before stellar reflectors could be built. I will implement this in the next version of the mod.

The MUD will not work on unrecognized planets (or gas giants).

That jungle world you linked will actually be terraformed into a terran planet by the stellar shades if you were to build them. They are always buildable on jungle worlds (except under rare conditions) so they can be terraformed.

SaiWave

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »

There's a planet from the Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority Mod
Its called Euripides and it's Semi-Arid planet.

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »

There's a planet from the Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority Mod
Its called Euripides and it's Semi-Arid planet.

I've added support for this planet type. It should be considered part of the desert/arid group of planet types. Please let me know if you encounter any issues with it going forward. Thank you!

Edit:
Spoiler
[close]

I've included some additional debugging text in the latest update of the mod. Please let me know what type of planet it indicates Cultus is. Thanks for your patience!

Codyrex123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.3.0)
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »

Ah ha! Fringe Defense Syndicate!
Spoiler
[close]

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12243.0

Finally we can maybe put this entire issue to rest, thank you for 'essentially' patching your mod to help figure out this issue!

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.3.1)
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »

Ah ha! Fringe Defense Syndicate!
Spoiler
[close]

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12243.0

Finally we can maybe put this entire issue to rest, thank you for 'essentially' patching your mod to help figure out this issue!

FDS should now be supported with full backwards compatibility. Let me know if you have any problems after updating. Thank you!

TheRiverNorth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Boggled's Terraforming Mod (v2.3.2)
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »

Would it be possible to link this to your Player Station Construction mod? Perhaps make it possible for someone to construct an Ismara's Sling-type structure on asteroid stations so that they could fling chunks of ice toward desert planets?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »

Would it be possible to link this to your Player Station Construction mod? Perhaps make it possible for someone to construct an Ismara's Sling-type structure on asteroid stations so that they could fling chunks of ice toward desert planets?

I'm against implementing this because:

1) Having two industries that do the same thing will cause player confusion and add complexity.
2) There are no ice fields or ice rings as far as I'm aware, so it would be confusing as to where the ice asteroids are coming from.
3) Virtually all systems have asteroid rings or fields, so this would trivialize terraforming desert planets as it could be done in any system and there would be little reason to use or care about the Ismara's Sling.
4) The Ismara's Sling is based on lore from the planet Ismara in the Penelope system so it fits better with the vanilla lore than redirecting asteroids, which is not present in the vanilla game.

However, if more people come out in favor of implementing this, I will reconsider my position.

Codyrex123

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2019, 07:41:50 AM »

Not trying to be pushy, as I do kinda agree with the whole thing (Though I would like a way to terraform planets without a easy source of water, maybe converted tankers transporting massive amounts of fluid water or something, as a expensive, extremely slow way, like putting out a trade request or something) about trivializing the process. However, water exists as ice in a lot of comets and asteroids so its not really 'out there' as an idea. Whether or not flinging large amounts of clumped water-ice at a planet is a good idea notwithstanding, it would be logical enough. So heres what I'd say, if its an idea that is implemented, instead of making it part of a colony, instead make it its own campaign map token, 'Intersystem Mass Driver' or something, and make it expensive as all hecc, taking in account that the structure on its own would need to power itself, protect itself from asteroids and propel itself so the force of its payload being launched doesn't make it a one-use tool. Maybe it can have a small market for antimatter fuel, worn machinery or something, but unlike a colony, it has a negative growth strike making it unlikely to ever get above 3-4 size without intensive effort by the player, Theoretically it should probably have some ore capabilities too though for mining? Just some ideas to toss in if it was to be added.

Isn't the description of a ring system involve talking about some of them being ice at least? Maybe, but just thought I'd say what I thought on the whole matter.

In any case, I dropped by to say that so far I haven't had any issues, but I haven't had much time to try it out and to see how Ismara's sling works on the FDS planets that I've been having the issues with!

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »

Is there any way to know what the effect of building the terraforming buildings would be on a world without doing it?

boggled

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »

Is there any way to know what the effect of building the terraforming buildings would be on a world without doing it?

Here's the text from the tooltip that describes the effects of stellar reflectors:

Conditions that can be improved by terraforming using stellar reflectors: Dust storms, suboptimal atmospheric density, extreme weather, inimical biosphere, meteor impacts, less than adequate farmland, and less than common organics.

Conditions that cannot be improved by terraforming using stellar reflectors: Commodity shortages, unrest, rogue AI cores, presence of ruins, decivilized subpopulations, tectonic activity, lack of a mild climate, high or low gravity, pollution, atmospheric toxicity, radiation, and lack of ore or volatiles.

Not trying to be pushy, as I do kinda agree with the whole thing (Though I would like a way to terraform planets without a easy source of water, maybe converted tankers transporting massive amounts of fluid water or something, as a expensive, extremely slow way, like putting out a trade request or something) about trivializing the process. However, water exists as ice in a lot of comets and asteroids so its not really 'out there' as an idea. Whether or not flinging large amounts of clumped water-ice at a planet is a good idea notwithstanding, it would be logical enough. So heres what I'd say, if its an idea that is implemented, instead of making it part of a colony, instead make it its own campaign map token, 'Intersystem Mass Driver' or something, and make it expensive as all hecc, taking in account that the structure on its own would need to power itself, protect itself from asteroids and propel itself so the force of its payload being launched doesn't make it a one-use tool. Maybe it can have a small market for antimatter fuel, worn machinery or something, but unlike a colony, it has a negative growth strike making it unlikely to ever get above 3-4 size without intensive effort by the player, Theoretically it should probably have some ore capabilities too though for mining? Just some ideas to toss in if it was to be added.

Isn't the description of a ring system involve talking about some of them being ice at least? Maybe, but just thought I'd say what I thought on the whole matter.

In any case, I dropped by to say that so far I haven't had any issues, but I haven't had much time to try it out and to see how Ismara's sling works on the FDS planets that I've been having the issues with!

Creating a special station with unique market conditions would definitely add too much complexity, and there's no precedent for this sort of thing in the vanilla lore. There's always the MUD for terraforming desert worlds without a frozen/water/cryovolcanic planet in system.

I'm glad the FDS planets don't seem to be causing any problems. Hopefully it stays that way!

Uhlang

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:57 AM »

4) The Ismara's Sling is based on lore from the planet Ismara in the Penelope system so it fits better with the vanilla lore than redirecting asteroids, which is not present in the vanilla game.
But it is. Here's part of the description for Suddene in the Westernesse system.
The terraforming of Suddene and attendant trains of water-bearing comets were rapidly abandoned post-Collapse as the remaining authorities focused resources on pure survival.
And it's theorized that our own Earth's oceans got a portion of their water from comets beyond the frost line in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, so if you were to implement something like this, it should probably be limited to systems with asteroid belts in a similar position(like Galatia, the asteroid belt there is right next to a cold barren world). It would be realistic, lore-friendly, and wouldn't make Ismara's Sling obsolete. Though, I don't know a bit about modding, so I'm not sure if that's possible.

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »

Does terraforming remove existing positive planet traits such as rich minerals?

Kulverstukass

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2019, 12:56:31 PM »

Does terraforming remove existing positive planet traits such as rich minerals?
nope
made few barrens rich w/minerals into terran through magic box and cryovolcanic rich in volatiles into waterworld with mirrors, nothing were lost
Buckle up for broken english vocabulary, comrade!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24