Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiplayer Aspect Discussion.  (Read 9864 times)

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Multiplayer Aspect Discussion.
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »

I'm watching the fifth TGS podcast and i don't really feel i need to say all that much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPPH0r_JKI
1:43:33

Basically, in the future when the game has much more content, there would be a chance for players to enter the system you're in, combat and other interactions may ensue, such as alliances & co-operation / trading / etc.

What are your thoughts?

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Aspect Discussion.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

i probably wouldn't like it... fleets are expensive

but, as discussed previously, it's not easy to implement multiplayer
the kind of multiplayer you are suggesting would be even more difficult
just think about the size of the development team a bit

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

I believe the game mentioned in the podcast is an indie game also, and it doesn't really matter about team size, only time spent.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »

I believe the game mentioned in the podcast is an indie game also, and it doesn't really matter about team size, only time spent.

nothing is more true than this. (from having followed a few indie games)

As for what to do with MP. id love a co-op as the AI captains make me want to stab myself in the eyes sometimes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

nothing is more true than this. (from having followed a few indie games)

This is certainly true, but I'm not sure that actually means very much. Any time spent working on one thing is time not spent on another. The SP aspect of the game can take literally as much time as can possibly be devoted to making it better - and then some. So, having MP would detract from the SP experience for that reason alone - and there are other reasons why it would, as well.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »

This is certainly true, but I'm not sure that actually means very much. Any time spent working on one thing is time not spent on another. The SP aspect of the game can take literally as much time as can possibly be devoted to making it better - and then some. So, having MP would detract from the SP experience for that reason alone - and there are other reasons why it would, as well.
Then why not to create/implement Multiplayer after Singleplayer was finished and polished?
When you will finish Singleplayer content completely, you already will know what and where you need implement in order for Multiplayer to be successful with many different modes.
Personally, I see a limitless possibilities when Multiplayer will be available, for example instead of finishing campaign 105th time, player starts server with "campaign" mode, where players can fight for domination, or something like that.

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

In part because of the "other reasons".

MP and SP have very different design goals. What's balanced, what's fun, what kind of mechanics make it so - these are all very different. You'd have to make a lot of compromises in the design to accommodate both. Frequently, games that try end up with a highly flawed version of one or the other. Either the SP is a training ground for MP, or the MP is an "oh yeah, we've got that too!" afterthought.

Besides, MP isn't just something you can tack on later - lots of core code has to be designed and built with it in mind. You could bring up the mod that added MP to Morrowind as a counter-example, but even though it works, it also exposes the problems with that approach.

In short, it's just not going to happen :)

CaptanSpudsy

• Lieutenant
  • Meanwhile, in Spudland.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »

MP and SP have very different design goals. What's balanced, what's fun, what kind of mechanics make it so - these are all very different. You'd have to make a lot of compromises in the design to accommodate both. Frequently, games that try end up with a highly flawed version of one or the other. Either the SP is a training ground for MP, or the MP is an "oh yeah, we've got that too!" afterthought.

Besides, MP isn't just something you can tack on later - lots of core code has to be designed and built with it in mind. You could bring up the mod that added MP to Morrowind as a counter-example, but even though it works, it also exposes the problems with that approach.

I have but one response to this....

:(
Mjolnir Cannons and Hepatitis in the large slots.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »

Not to mention how awkward the whole "Pausing to give orders" thing would be in multiplayer.

Besides, in it's current state, almost the entire multiplayer setup would revolve around people in High Tech ships curb-stomping everyone in Low-Tech ships.  Or everyone being in High Tech ships, period.

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »

The only thing that I can think of is gratuitous space battles multi player style might fit here.

Been a while so it may of changed, but essentially you set up a battlegroup and you sent it out like a mission.

Thats really the only way I can see it happening here. We dont even have more than two sides fighting at once in combat right now, if ever.

SkidWonderKid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:52:42 AM »

I'm glad your focusing on the single player aspect, I like the idea. I think the vision of the game experience you have is beautiful in and of itself, I don't believe MP would add much either.

I'm fascinated by Starfarer, it's a gem of a title. This has 90's era game quality written all over it, from a time and age when games were more intimate and personal.

Syndicate, X-Com, Master of Orion, and a few other unique games that were crafted so powerfully. They would immerse you in a beautiful little sandbox and let you lose yourself for hours on end in some one else dreams of an alternate reality. MP would destroy immersion or suspense of disbelief.

So far I am blown away by the quality and attention to detail of the well thought out game mechanics. I am very interested to see the end result.

Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:56:08 AM by SkidWonderKid »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:05 AM »

I honestly think multiplayer would not give much to this game. I mean, the current hound ai is better than some players I personally know. If you keep updating ai to get much better, multiplayer will just be a burden to the game ;).

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

For now yes, but later on you will start thinking about adding it :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »

How difficult would a very basic MP be to set up?

For example, single-ship duels between players. They get the same ship and face off.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »

As far as I know, it's two languages being used, or at least, the one used for online games uses a different protocol than the one written for single player. So I think he'd have to rewrite most of it from the start. It would probably go faster due to him figuring out the mechanics in abstract for single player, but it's still a butt load of work from my understanding.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"
Pages: [1] 2