Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: No blog posts, no updates for ~6 months?  (Read 13387 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: No blog posts, no updates for ~6 months?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »

Yes well, Maths has some stupid rules. For instance 0/0!=1, even though if you graph anything that requires it (Y=X/X, or Y=X^2 for example) it clearly does.

I think you're mixing some things up. 0! = 1 so 0/0! is 0/1 = 0 but that has nothing to do with the functions you wrote as far as I can tell.

Perhaps you were referring to 0/0 (no factorial) which is indeterminate. In the context of the function y = x/x, the limit as x-->0 is 1, but that's only true for that specific function.
Apologies, autocorrect messing up the spacing. 0/0 != 1 is what I was trying to write.
Which completely destroys the whole basis of an equation: that an equal change on both sides doesn't alter the equation.
It's a stupid exception not for why it's needed, but for which part of the problem was chosen to be the exception.

lim x-->0 (x/x) = 1 is still true. The equation isn't violated as x-->0.

Where does doing the same thing to both sides of an equation cause the equation to be false? Also, where is an exception being chosen? The reason 0/0 is indeterminate is because you are dividing by 0, that's not a choice.
Yes, except the only reason 0/0 is the exception to X/X=1 is because we say it is. If lim 0 is 1 from both sides, why not just acknowledge it's 1?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »

But for y = (2x^2 - x -1)/(4x^3 - 4), for x = 1, y = 0/0, but the limit approaches 1/4. So now 0/0 = 1/4 as well as 1. You can easily construct an example like this for any value of the limit and any value of x, so now 0/0 is equal to all numbers at once, which obviously can't be true. So instead we say that 0/0 is undefined, which is essentially saying that a function being 0/0 is not enough information to determine what the value of the function is. You have to take limits.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »

But for y = (2x^2 - x -1)/(4x^3 - 4), for x = 1, y = 0/0, but the limit approaches 1/4. So now 0/0 = 1/4 as well as 1. You can easily construct an example like this for any value of the limit and any value of x, so now 0/0 is equal to all numbers at once, which obviously can't be true. So instead we say that 0/0 is undefined, which is essentially saying that a function being 0/0 is not enough information to determine what the value of the function is. You have to take limits.
Yes, but why not have those limits be tailored to the exception, rather than the easier-but-worse option? X/X = 1, but XY/X is undefined if XY=0? Nothing breaks, and it removed a major inconsistency.

Or better yet, X/X=1, but 0Y/0=Y

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is the current "fix" is a hack job which is much easier solved by adding "algebraic simplification" to the front of BODMAS.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »

Yes, but why not have those limits be tailored to the exception, rather than the easier-but-worse option? X/X = 1, but XY/X is undefined if XY=0? Nothing breaks, and it removed a major inconsistency.

Or better yet, X/X=1, but 0Y/0=Y

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is the current "fix" is a hack job which is much easier solved by adding "algebraic simplification" to the front of BODMAS.
z = xy/x is undefined at x = 0 because you are dividing by zero. It's not arbitrary. yx = 0 does not mean the function is undefined: when y=0 and x != 0, xy = 0 and the function is still defined.

There's no choice of definition, things are undefined when there is division by zero (for smooth functions).

You can say that x/x = 1 though because lim(x/x) x-->b = 1 for all b. That's what allows you to cancel stuff in the numerator and denominator algebraically. For something like y = sin(x)/x, you can't do simple algebra to get rid of the the x in the denominator, but the limit still exists lim(y) x-->0 = 1.

braciszek

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 02:20:24 AM »

Being new here, this information is informative. I'll probably finish college by the time the next update arrives. :P
But at least it allows mods to develop and spend less time adjusting to the new version.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »

The long wait times are sad, but it does have a bunch of upsides... Less time on Alex's side doing the prep work for releases means more time adding more things. Interconnected systems dropping as whole packages instead of trickling in helps because we see them in a (somewhat) final form right away (usually balance tweaks in the hotfix, but not major new features). Long update times lets the modding community release really good stuff in a stable environment.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »

"Remember Uomoz Sector?"
Christ that takes me back lol. I'm glad for the long wait times too, and it's funny to see that this forum never changes in which cyclical questions come up (why such long wait time, when will the game be on steam etc)
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

hugeknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »

the game has changed so much since it was a single sector, i cant believe it, if this were deveopled by one of the big giants we would have payed for it by atleast triplicate by now, every version would be a new game.

Starfarer
Starfarer: expanded DLC
Starfarer: Survival DLC
Starfarer: Into the sectors

Starsector: Into the universe
Starsector: 0.95 DLC
Starsector: 1.0 DLC

Dont forget to sprinkle a few failed MMO and some loot boxe attempts LOL.

The only reason I wouldve liked this game on steam is to now how many hours ive sunk into it, but in reality i prefer it here because that means no one else had their grubby fingers in this pie to steal profits.

In the end this game is amazing and way waaaaaay under priced I dont even remember how much i paid for it, and every update i have to struggle to find my activation code, which again i cant find while typing this lol.

EDIT: found the receipt from 11/AUG/2012 WOW! 10USD!

EDIT2: I just realized i necroed the *** out of this thread lol.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:33:54 PM by hugeknight »

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »

BTW, it has been 112 days since last blogpost and 302 days since last update.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »

SS is a game for the strong in spirit.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »

Last tease on Twitter: 9 days ago.

hugeknight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2020, 11:13:18 AM »

Have faith dear brother, our captain shall not lead us astray or leave us behind.

https://twitter.com/amosolov
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]