Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: cruiser sized salvaging vessel  (Read 2238 times)

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: cruiser sized salvaging vessel
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »

You have problem with playstyles that use smaller ships for fighting? So you should sacrifice something, take larger freigters with less fuel usage/cargo or tanks, or take less rigs, or tags and so on. I show you a solution of tons of problems. No skills for officers, cool supply usage, fuel usage/cargo, fuel tanks capacity, 65% salvage, burn speed max, invincibility of the fleet, what do you need more?I made perfect fleet that is self-sufficient for any kind of employment. If you want to have something, you should sacrifice something as you see, however, there is no needs to play small ships, they are "bad" and weak. And yes, i am serious, i played vanilla again, ufter mods, to see how it can be, how can i solve some problems without modding, and i have such self-sufficient fleet variant, and i show you it. And it counter the point of the thread, because it is a solution. And i like to be large and unbreakable to play without annoying losses, it is one more game mechanics that i avoid with such fleet. Thx to Alex that there is way to play so)
So the smaller ships get to not only be less viable in combat because of current game mechanics but should have to "sacrifice" something in addition to be less viable? That's illogical.

The dev is currently raising the Leader cap without perks to support larger fleets of smaller ships, next patch. Small ships fleets need help, they don't need to be making sacrifices. Thus the point of this thread.
There should be some limit by deployment points, not just ship count, but it seems to ruin some game adventure, like smoller tankers and freighters are better than larger analogues in fuel usage/cargo capacity, fuel tanks. But yes, such, mechaniks hurming playstile of small ships.
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »

Well yes. It would be a built-in hullmod. That is generally how special ship functions are implemented.
But the salvage gantry isn't a hull mod. It is an entire destroyer, just as it is the entire Shepard. The hull mod is a representation of the ability for the user. The ship itself is built to perform salvage, utilizing a combination of work drones, heavy space machinery and internal manufacturing capabilities which transform mostly unsalvageable parts  into good ones.
To transform the ability into a hull mod is to suggest the facilities are trivial. They are not, that's why entire ships are built around them and most refitting and repairs happen at a shipyard.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see a large scale repair and salvage ship. However it's utility would naturally drift towards being indistinguishable from a mobile shipyard. After all you are taking useless scrap and transforming them into useful ship. That's a shipyard!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:49:29 AM by bobucles »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »

There should be some limit by deployment points, not just ship count, but it seems to ruin some game adventure, like smoller tankers and freighters are better than larger analogues in fuel usage/cargo capacity, fuel tanks. But yes, such, mechaniks hurming playstile of small ships.

I do wish deployment point were how fleet size was calculated, it'd be more balanced and not punish smaller ship. There is no reason in terms of balance not to do this.

No, that's not correct. The Atlas and Prometheus are more efficient then their smaller counterparts in terms of supplies/fuel usage relative to carrying capacity. I've read multiple threads directly about this subject where they presented the math.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »

Atlas and Prometheus are more efficient supply-wise, but less so fuel-wise. They should be the best in both categories, as there's also an additional factor: their burn level, much lower than the alternatives', which is enough for many to immediately and irreversibly turn them down.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

Atlas and Prometheus are more efficient supply-wise, but less so fuel-wise. They should be the best in both categories, as there's also an additional factor: their burn level, much lower than the alternatives', which is enough for many to immediately and irreversibly turn them down.

My point was mainly that the small support ships aren't better in those regards. In that small support ships aren't both faster and less costly in relative price meaning that a fleet cap based on Deployment cost would be an unbalanced advantage.

You are trading speed for efficiency, which is balanced.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »

I know I at least want to see a large (even capital ship sized) explorer vessel with salvaging and survey gear, along with lots of fuel and cargo space (not as much as Prometheus or Atlas level of course), but generally poor firepower.  It would be great to replace the Shepherd and Apogee I've got just taking up space in my battle fleet.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 01:59:53 PM »

Shepherd can be replaced by salvage Gauntry in vanilla.
Pages: 1 [2]