Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: add blacklist option for stuff on doctrine&blueprints  (Read 2872 times)

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
add blacklist option for stuff on doctrine&blueprints
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:04:18 AM »

There is prioritized tab for weapons/wings/ships for your faction fleets but there is no way to prevent them using useless weapons that also cause them having super weird loadouts since its completely random. I think it will be better if we can blacklist ships,weapons and wings for our faction fleets.

Gniwu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: add blacklist option for stuff on doctrine&blueprints
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »

Strong agreement!

Even beyond mechanical concerns, I would like for my fleet to not use a weird cosmetic mish-mash of regular, Hegemony and Luddic Church colors.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »

I was going to start a new topic, but since this old one is exactly the same as the one I'd have made I'll just reply to it.

As stated the 'Priority' toggle just seems to make the AI favour building those ships, not prevent them from building the other ones. It's a bit of a problem for us packrats who like collecting blueprints, we end up with these weird Pirate/Luddite/etc mixed patrols roaming our systems.

A simple (to me at least, I'm not a programmer) solution would be to slightly alter the 'Priority' tab. One click on it gives a green check-mark to indicate the AI will favour construction of it, a second click will make it a red 'X' and prevent the AI from building it at all (only the player can deliberately build the design), a third click return it to the neutral position.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:55:39 PM by Oni »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »

Hmm - just real quick, the way it works is you'd have to prioritize enough ships of different *types* to have the faction only use them. E.G. you need a freighter, a tanker, a combat ship of every size, some carriers, etc. Basically whatever you're seeing that's still not what you'd like, you can get around it by prioritizing something you do like that's a similar type and size of ship. There's a button to re-roll the "typical patrol" in the doctrine screen so you can see what effect your changes are having.

A blacklist option is potentially iffy to implement - it's unclear what to do if, say, all freighters are blacklisted (what do trade fleets look like then?), or all frigates are blacklisted, etc.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »

Hmm - just real quick, the way it works is you'd have to prioritize enough ships of different *types* to have the faction only use them. E.G. you need a freighter, a tanker, a combat ship of every size, some carriers, etc. Basically whatever you're seeing that's still not what you'd like, you can get around it by prioritizing something you do like that's a similar type and size of ship. There's a button to re-roll the "typical patrol" in the doctrine screen so you can see what effect your changes are having.

A blacklist option is potentially iffy to implement - it's unclear what to do if, say, all freighters are blacklisted (what do trade fleets look like then?), or all frigates are blacklisted, etc.
Found that out the hard way, and it is ridiculously arcane.  It really needs to be spelled out if things do not change.  Also annoying when a ship qualified for two roles.  I liked Gemini as a freighter, but not as a combat carrier, so I never prioritized it because I did not want it to pollute my combat fleets.

As for blacklisting the entire lineup or other impossible result, ignore the blacklist at that point.

As stated the 'Priority' toggle just seems to make the AI favour building those ships, not prevent them from building the other ones. It's a bit of a problem for us packrats who like collecting blueprints, we end up with these weird Pirate/Luddite/etc mixed patrols roaming our systems.
Anyone who relies on raiding to complete their collection needs to be a packrat to reduce unknown blueprints remaining and get those after a raid instead of more duplicates of blueprints player did not want to learn.  Anyone who raids for blueprints needs to learn them - even the lame ones - as soon as they are taken.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »

I think it will make things a bit clearer by adding another display to show the prioritized ships for each fleet role so the player can know which of those are currently missing.
From what I understand as long as you have one ship set prioritized for each role the faction will not make stray ships at all.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:58:23 AM »

If all are blacklisted, ignore player's wishes :)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 02:03:16 PM »

then you get players who complain that they wanted to blacklist all combat ships & make their faction only use freighters as combat ships lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »

There were times I wanted to blacklist all phase ships if all I had were Gremlin and pirate hacks.  Phase doctrine at 1 is not low enough.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 02:52:24 PM »

i definitely agree with that. i hate when the only carrier in my faction is a civilian cruiser with mining pods, so even if i put carriers at the lowest setting possible, all of my cruisers are a civilian ship with mining pods.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 04:11:49 PM »

you couldnt code it so that the list makes at least one of every type active? that is to say make it unclickable if it is the last of its kind (with respect to it being necessary to have certain types so that each type of fleet spawns properly)

conversely, if there is time in the future, perhaps being able to customize the fleets directly?  wherein you can click each fleet type and you will have a "doctrine" screen for each type eg fast picket light patrol etc

either of these ideas is a wishlist of course......

but i mean.....isnt the suggestions section sort of a defacto wishlist from us to you?  lol
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »

you couldnt code it so that the list makes at least one of every type active? that is to say make it unclickable if it is the last of its kind (with respect to it being necessary to have certain types so that each type of fleet spawns properly)
No need blacklists, just low and high priority settings.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 08:20:54 PM »

No need blacklists, just low and high priority settings.
Wouldn't that just allow the problem of "ships you don't want built, being built" to remain?

I'd say just let the player know that the lowest tier of a ship type will always be able to be built if there are no better options (I think the default is Low Tech?  ??? ) even if technically blacklisted and set certain aspects of doctrine to zero (no I don't want any phase ships), that way a player's personal faction can have a coherent and consistent ship set without having to be careful about what blueprints they grab.

... obviously, this is on the premise that they include blacklisting ship designs.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »

Honestly it would be better to just allow the player to customize fleet doctrine at their will. It just need consequences. Like having supply hungry ships without freighters in your patrol will affect patrol effectiveness or would force them to wander closer to their base for more frequent resupplies. While having more freighters and tankers would allow them to wander further from colony to patrol around fringe jump points or in hyperspace around their system.
Pages: [1] 2 3