Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Battle Tactics  (Read 14143 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Tactics
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »

AM blasters work really well on phase ships, though I agree they get scared off and distracted very easily.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »

They can use some AM blasters, but not exclusively like player would. AI needs LAG or something similar for finisher.

Also, Shades are really inefficient at it - they prefer to fire EMP right on unphase instead of spending fraction of a second to fire AM blaster from optimal position first.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »

I am not sure if you guys play with any hard mode mod (over ruthless sector) but aren't pirate fleets kinda pathetic?

Even in vanilla-like where they run pretty much free a single raid-size fleet with 3-6 Atlas mk-trashcan and all the flow of smaller flying junk can be dealt with using little more than a pair of falcons, herons, hammerheads and some wolves to utterly melt the small fry and end-up with their crapitals getting ganged-up.
Getting a single Onslaught(XIV) (and changing falcons to eagles) allowed this taskforce to simply smash through the formation and spawnkill everything that arrives (up to 2 big fleets and some little ones) even in max battle size, only getting the wolf-pack to retreat once the enemy spawn is reached.

I mean, everyone here is clearly better at the game than i'll ever be, and i would guess also used to run mostly capitals in endgame, so aren't pirates closer to a swarm of D-mods getting squashed like flies by Paragons and the like without those ever stopping until reaching the other side of the map?
Compared to Nexerelin's capital/carrier deathballs (still getting nightmares from the 15 triumphs with conquest/chronos/victory toppings) this does seem rather tame.

Ahhhh the Nex deathballs. I saw 6 hugeeeeeee pirate fleets who were attempting to invade one of my colonies (I have underworld installed so Pirates actually become somewhat tough) I had to retreat my Paragons twice because they ran out of peak CR

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »

speaking of nex death balls:
Spoiler
[close]

Xonok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 04:59:36 AM »

Better AI for phase ships would likely require nerfing them as well. If an AI could use a hammer-equipped Afflictor anywhere near as well as I can, it would completely invalidate all big ships that don't have back-facing shields.
Onslaughts are so hilariously easy to beat with this build that I could do several in a row. If AI could do that, there would be no better ship.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:47 AM »

Better AI for phase ships would likely require nerfing them as well. If an AI could use a hammer-equipped Afflictor anywhere near as well as I can, it would completely invalidate all big ships that don't have back-facing shields.
Onslaughts are so hilariously easy to beat with this build that I could do several in a row. If AI could do that, there would be no better ship.
I can't agree more! But, if AI have such an Intelligence, what would happen? The enemy may try to arrange a group of ships(based on Destroyers or Frigates) to protect their Capital ship! That may save Onslaughts' fame from "Sinking The Bismarck". ;)

In fact, I always try to beat stronger enemies, and I found that control flagship is a great joy, but I had to keep concentrate on command. If the battle line is broken, nothing could avoid your failure but god. Once I make a test, use the default variant to play "The Last Hurrah", and I press U and Tab, only use orders to fight against Hegemony - I just lost half of my frigates to destroy my enemies, How terrible commander the AI is! ::)

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »

speaking of nex death balls:
Spoiler
[close]
AHA!

I got a bigger one

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2019, 04:45:59 AM »

61 fleets?

What the effing frak?

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2019, 05:33:38 AM »

Might be from brawl mode in Nex, which can multiply the strength (and defense) of Nex offensive actions by as much as 5 times at default values.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »

Might be from brawl mode in Nex, which can multiply the strength (and defense) of Nex offensive actions by as much as 5 times at default values.

Not brawl mode but.. I messed with some multipliers.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2019, 12:45:36 AM »

CHEEZUS CRUST, Tackywheat, WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM??

Nonowait, scratch that...I don't wanna know.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »

I just finished my second vanilla campaign and the Way I beat the strongest enemy fleets was thanks to a combination of fighter superiority and suppression withegions, pushing power with Dominators and strike capability with Condors.

I usually set the legions/dominators in a defensive semicircle in the middle of the map with all the Condors inside of it. The smaller ships tend to trickle in from the front/sides and never surround my formation as fighters/bombers tend to murder then first, while the bigger ships are almost always too late for the party, at which point I set all my fleet to standard Search And Destroy.
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]