Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

what do you guys prefer in weapon range?

long range
- 13 (44.8%)
medium range
- 9 (31%)
short range
- 2 (6.9%)
tachyon lance
- 3 (10.3%)
melee range lolz
- 2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: weapon range  (Read 6711 times)

Daifri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
weapon range
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:28 PM »

so yea i just wanted to know what people prefer.
i personally like medium and short range because i feel the longer ranged weapons just dont seem to pack the punch i like.
also i like getting up close and personal anyway.
ive been loving the enforcer lately for that sole reason to get in your face and not die lol.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: weapon range
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »

I dunno, I like both extremes.

Shield ramming is fun, and tachyon sniping is efficient (And also just fun to one-shot-zap a bunch of the small enemy ships from across the map)

But then there is bowling. And that's in a league of its own.

Step 0) Kill an onslaught or paragon
Step 1) Get really fast frigate with shields (aka, not the hound)
Step 2) Use frigate's shield ramming to boost wreck up to speeds of over 225+ su/s
Step 3) Slam it into bunched enemy ships (destroyer or cruiser mix works best) on the other side of the map.
Step 4) LOL as they crash into and damage each other with their shields and hulls while attempting to get out of the way, but to no avail.
Step 5) watch the fireworks.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »

I mostly have favorite weapons. Like the salamander, heavy mg, hi velocity cannons, tac lasers. They are spread pretty well through all ranges, but mostly short, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »

I generally like ranged ballistics (not liking the ranged energy weapons though; the Tachyon Lance is just ridiculous in my opinion), like the Mjonir Cannon, Hypervelocity Cannons, and Railgun. Medium range ballistics are also fun. Don't really love the short-range up-close-and-personal weapons, though... That's what fighters are for ;)

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »

Long-ranged energy weapons are my first love. For me, the best range to have my enemy at starts about six meters inside of max range for a Tachyon Lance, and the fun  ends at roughly range 900. Hell, I consider the latter to practically be "Sicilian knife-fighting range"...dangerously close-in;) High Intensity Lasers (and their 1250 range) make me happy. Tachyon Lances are even better.

The more long-range weapons exist, the happier I am. Of course my preferred style of play is one that prominently features the largest naval warships whenever possible, so a starship version of an over-the-horizon World War 1 dreadnought duel absolutely is my cup of tea. Starfarer's capital ships suffer from certain disadvantages at present, and I believe that greatly increasing the range at which they can effectively trade fire with enemies is on the right path to smoothing out those problems. Finding this thread was therefore a nice surprise.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »

I like the challenge of hitting at longer ranges, so I modded the Hellbore to my liking :P

800 range and even slower Rof, but boosted dmg to compensate, also boosted ammo count.

It's hard to hit with, but if I do hit, it hurts like a mofo..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »

Close-Range Strike Weapons.

It's all about flanking and releasing the Torps and Anti-matter at the exact right moment for me.  Nothing beats watching a capital ship fall to a few Strike Frigates and bombers.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »

I like medium to long range weapons, though with inertia I can have a hard time hitting with longer ranged weapons.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:05 AM »

On the one hand, I love the tachyon lance - it makes playing as a slow capital ship so much more fun when I don't have to spend 95% of the fight trying to get in range to do something.

On the other hand, I hate the tachyon lance - it's such a ridiculously game-changing weapon - a couple of lances plus some fighter squadrons will totally wipe out the enemy's light forces, leaving you with node control and an easy victory.  There are times when using it really feels like cheating.  Presumably in the final game it'll be rather harder to get ahold of, though, and using it will feel like the just rewards of your efforts.

After that, my favorite weapon would have to be the PD laser.  Wasp wings, onwards to victory!
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »

Defiantly mid to up close weapons, because they take more effort to use and you usually have to be really smart with when you engage.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

I love the Tachyon lances, if the AI didn't decide that the perfect place to put itself was right in the line of fire. -_-

However, sometimes that range is just too much, and i might even try out HILs for a little while.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »

Tachyon Lances feel incredibly cheap right now.  It's basically bringing a Sniper Rifle to a knife-fight.  If they were difficult to aim or something, maybe, but in their present form, they're easy-mode.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »

Yeah... even though they cost 32 points to deploy and only have 200 dps Tachyon lances are ridiculously game changing.

Rube Lott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »

I personally love long range weapons. Preferably ballistic with slow reload and big damage per shell. Unfortunatelly there are not enough such weapons in the game, the closest thing to this I laid my hands on were heavy blasters, I like how u got to aim to make a hit on a over a longer distance. It is however quite elusive to me, how it is possible, that rapid firing weapons have in this game usually longer range, than larger caliber slow firing weapons, for example, why heavy needler has range of 800, where much slower firing larger caliber arbalest autocannon has range of only 700. I think I am gonna do a little bit of fiddling with those numbers in weapon data.csv file...

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Gotta say i love long range weapons, as well as cannons with big booming dakka effects like the Hellbore and more-so the Hephaestus cannons due to their relations to naval battleship weapons.
Pages: [1] 2