Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allow Players to View Starship Market  (Read 842 times)

CommandoDude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Allow Players to View Starship Market
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »

Essentially speaking as far as I know the only way to find starships for sale, is to directly be at the station itself.

This is just a QoL suggestion and I don't think it would necessarily affect balance, but if players are looking for a particular ship hull, it would be nice if you can use the comm relay system, similar to looking up commodity goods, to know where you could find a ship hull.

Kind of does not make sense that there isn't a SPACE Craig's List.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Allow Players to View Starship Market
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »

You have the balance convenience with the feeling of excitement that comes with checking a market though. Why not just have every ship for sale all the time at every market? Prices determine balance, that would just be QoL, right? But in reality flying around to check markets is a core reason to travel around in
the early game. Getting excited because you found a ship you were looking for is fun. Just knowing all the ships in all the markets all the time would mean having to actually fly there to buy it is a chore. Meaning that all ships should just be for sale at a central market for delivery to the player at all times. Boring.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 03:08:56 AM »

Yes, we need some system of search like in space rangers, search for goods whith buy/sell prises, weapons, ships which are on sell now. Some players need to use save/load abuse to see what is on sale in some system. It is unlogikal that there is no such system.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:12:33 AM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »

You have the balance convenience with the feeling of excitement that comes with checking a market though. Why not just have every ship for sale all the time at every market? Prices determine balance, that would just be QoL, right? But in reality flying around to check markets is a core reason to travel around in
the early game. Getting excited because you found a ship you were looking for is fun. Just knowing all the ships in all the markets all the time would mean having to actually fly there to buy it is a chore. Meaning that all ships should just be for sale at a central market for delivery to the player at all times. Boring.
Travel around in, okey, lets use save/load, it is boring to use save/load and spend time for looking that you nedd. If such system is boring for you, then you should not use it. Okey "Getting excited because you found a ship you were looking for is fun", i can farm credits by one elusive dram tanker (no other needs for such money making) with analyze missions for one-two hours making 5+ millions, make some fleet for 1-2 millions (some conqusts, onslaughts which are available in abundance), then hunt some try-tachyon bountyes with paragons, ore some patrol fleets of try-tachyon, and then you have what you need - paragon, restore that paragon, then hunt everything what you see, bountyes or what you want with that paragon, so you get all tipes of equipment what are exicting in game. Also, fly around everywhere to collect weapons and hullmodes it is boring, fly, fly and again fly, by elusive small tanker (so no one can cath you, so you do not need any fleet), to make ship that you want, is boring.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:30:51 AM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:23:03 AM »

Would a seller really advertise their ship on the open market? That's basically announcing to all the pirates "here's my empty ship, come and get it". The galaxy is also in a highly fragmented state. Comms are fickle and faction borders are thick.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »

Would a seller really advertise their ship on the open market? That's basically announcing to all the pirates "here's my empty ship, come and get it". The galaxy is also in a highly fragmented state. Comms are fickle and faction borders are thick.
When those ships are on a planet or major station, that's not going to be a major concern.  If pirates are going to attack, they will do so anyway because planets and stations ALWAYS have loot.  They aren't going to do so going after a specific ship.  Not in this universe anyway where there don't exist single ships so rare and valuable as to dwarf the value of a planet.

Now, if that ship were being transported from place to place, then no they aren't going to broadcast their position.  Convoys, as opposed to planets and stations, can enjoy at least a small amount of secrecy and try to avoid notice at all.  Pirates know where all the planets are at any given time, they don't know where all the convoys are.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »

You have the balance convenience with the feeling of excitement that comes with checking a market though. Why not just have every ship for sale all the time at every market? ...
...okey, lets use save/load, it is boring to use save/load...

Um... Yes, obviously. That's why Ironman mode exists. Is this not something most people agree on?

Save/load is good for new players who are still learning the game -- I'm not arguing it's a bad feature. But after you get how the core systems work, save scumming makes the game feel completely pointless and erases all tension and leaves it suuuuper boring. Ironman is vastly more interesting.

CommandoDude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »

Because you would still have to travel to that star system, which might be dangerous. And that ship might be off the market by the time you get there.

Also, I totally disagree with that point. People don't fly around to check prices, that's already in the game with F1. People fly around because of contracts.

I also never said there should be a global market with delivery services lol so nice strawman? The game somehow can handle having global market info for goods just fine and allows players to do plenty of flying. Finding a ship you are looking for is fun, not being able to find a ship despite flying around tons is not fun.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »

I don't know, I think it would be more aggravating if you saw a ship was for sale, flew to the market, and then it was gone by the time you got there. I agree global commodity price data (actually just top and bottom five market data) being present can be presented as analogous, but I don't think it is. I think there's an RNG lootbox reward feeling that comes with spotting e.g. a pristine Tempest for sale on the black market when you open the fleet page while docked at a planet, which would be lost if you just made a mental note to check the global listing of all ships on the first of every month to see if you want to buy some. Commodity pricing is different -- commodities don't impact combat directly like ships do. You'll note you ALSO can't look up weapons, mods, and LPCs -- you have to open the markets and when you spot that weapon or mod or LPC you've been wanting, it's exciting.

I also think colonies kind of ruin this feeling of excitement and that spotting rare items on the market needs to be kept important somehow as it's core to early/mid game motivation.