Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [GUIDE] When To Fully Stop Tech-Mining?  (Read 14987 times)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
[GUIDE] When To Fully Stop Tech-Mining?
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »

You're wondering when to stop your tech-mining when ruins become literally unattainable. The usual go-to tip is 14 months or on average 2 cycles, but who has time to keep track of that? Better Colonies has a tracker on tech-mining so whenever you hover over the industry you know to disband them or not.

Well, you should never stop during your first month obviously because in THIS easy to read table, I'll help you out.

Vast Ruins are base ruins. The default amount and rate that you should be getting in a month. The bold is important, take note!
Extensive Ruins yield only 60% of a typical Vast Ruin's month.
Widespread Ruins yield only 35% of a typical Vast Ruin's month.
Scattered Ruins yield only 20% of a typical Vast Ruin's month.

On the first month, the ruins are untapped and yield out 10x of their usual drops while yielding like a vast ruin regardless of ruin type. Let's suppose you're the type of guy who wants to tech-mine everything to the bitter source. Now when should you stop tech-mining, the information is up to you when you feel the odds do not balance out the upkeep.
MonthsScatteredWidespreadExtensiveVast
1st100%-140%175%-245%300%-420%500%-700%
2nd18%31%54%90%
14th9%17%29%48%
27th5%8%15%25%
59th0%1%3%5%
70th0%0%1%2%
80th0%0%0%1%
90th0%0%0%0%

Wait, what if I don't want to EVER stop tech-mining?
Code
"techMiningDecay":0.95, # monthly multiplier reducing effectiveness of tech-mining ops
Ctrl-F this code in your setting.json and change the 0.95 to a higher number or 1.00 for no decay, or... higher than 1 if you want tech-mining to increase...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [GUIDE] When To Fully Stop Tech-Mining?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »

The most important point is when ruins stop giving blueprints or AI cores. All other loot can be easily acquired in other ways, save for some rare weapons.

xyzeratul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »

The most important point is when ruins stop giving blueprints or AI cores. All other loot can be easily acquired in other ways, save for some rare weapons.
yes, but I find my tech minings are mostly disappoint, only got blueprints in 1st 3 months, after that the best I got is 1 or 2 beta cores

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »

Once the message changes to "mostly combed through" or what not, I usually shut it down.  It's too unreliable to be worth much when you can get everything it provides more dependably from many other means.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »

"These ruins have been comprehensively combed over multiple times, there is little chance of a new find"
That's the signal to pack up.
The only time I'd ever ignore that is if I wanted a source of supplies and fuel.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »

This will be extremely helpful for deciding on Tech-Mining times in the future. Thank you.

Czyrek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »

Would be nice if this didn't count as an "industry" because its benefit is often extremely short term. (even the supplies and fuel it generates in the long term are so few to matter). I'd prefer if it was more of a "project" or "expedition" that takes a year and then is done, giving you everything in one lump sum without taking up an industry slot.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:33:22 AM »

Would be nice if this didn't count as an "industry" because its benefit is often extremely short term. (even the supplies and fuel it generates in the long term are so few to matter). I'd prefer if it was more of a "project" or "expedition" that takes a year and then is done, giving you everything in one lump sum without taking up an industry slot.

THIS

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 03:51:50 AM »

Tech mines and the ruins modifier should remove themselves when they are entirely depleted. Maybe have a greyed out tech modifier icon to show what was once there.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 06:33:55 AM »

Agreed

Flix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »

Completely agree. It doesn't make sense to me for this to be an industryand take up a very valuable industry slot for something that is not so important.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »

Tech mines and the ruins modifier should remove themselves when they are entirely depleted. Maybe have a greyed out tech modifier icon to show what was once there.

I think it would be simpler to have a progress bar, same as the one used to build structures, except it shrinks as it depletes.