Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Settings.JSON List of things i have enjoyed editing so far :)  (Read 14835 times)

AINC_07_STALKER

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Settings.JSON List of things i have enjoyed editing so far :)
« on: September 27, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »

Below is the list of settings i have enjoyed editing for my single player experience.

In other words - this has made the game more enjoyable for me. I am not saying this will make it more enjoyable for you.

Code changed                                        Default values

"shipBuyPriceMult":1.2,                          (Default - have not touched this)
"shipSellPriceMult":.8,                            ( default is 4. So effectively doubled the sell price of ships )
"hullWithDModsSellPriceMult":0.4,          ( Default is 2 , so see above )

Reason:
I like making money from salvaging defeated fleets. This has changed my experience from " No point salvaging to sell " to " Hello pay day ".
Be warned , this isnt HUGE amounts of money , but it is noticeable :)

"minBattleSize":400,                              (Default was 200)  # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
"defaultBattleSize":600,                          (Default was 300) # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
"maxBattleSize":1000,                            (Default was 500)# in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider

Reason.
Battle size because , i like being able to field my entire fleet , will increase if needed :)

"playerMaxLevel":60,                              (Default is 20 , all though some mods edit this for you)
"officerSkillIncreasePerLevel":1,               (Default is 1)
"officerMaxLevel":27,                              (Default is 20. I have found though that anything above 27 is pointless as the UI cant handle more skills)

Reason.
I like levels. Its that simple really :)

Nexerelin    config.json

"baseTariffMult": 0.3,  # 1.0 = base tariff (usually 30%)
"freeMarketTariffMult": 0.125,    # 0.5 = halved tariffs

Reason.     Gives a tariff rate of 9% instead of 30% meaning .... on an equal trade for buy sell your overhead is 18%. Not 60%. Leaving you alot of play room for trading.

There are plenty more options you can tweek with , and huge thank you to ALEX and crew for allowing such easy access to toggle and edit those settings for those of us that wish to.

Peace out guys.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:13:25 PM by AINC_07_STALKER »

dandystar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Settings.JSON List of things i have enjoyed editing so far :)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »

"playerMaxLevel":60,                              (Default is 20 , all though some mods edit this for you)
This defaults to 50

"maxCombatZoom":3.0 is the only change i made

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 02:55:50 AM »

"enableShipExplosionWhiteout":false,

to disable that flash when a cruiser or capital ship explodes, thank you to Sundog for the info from another thread. A great visual improvement.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »

"enableShipExplosionWhiteout":false,
This. This is the most important thing in the game.

"officerMaxLevel":27, 
Set it to 29.
27 will only allow you to pick 1 level of the 'final' skill you pick.

"playerMaxLevel":60,
103. All in.
I've only ever managed to get up to ~85-ish before getting bored with it, thus 'proving' in my mind that a hard cap is largely unnescessary.
Not that this will be relevant by next release.

"maxShipsInFleet":60
I'm a magpie. Salvage is life. Not being able to salvage ships is bad and uncool.
"maxShipsInAIFleet":60
Fair's fair.

"altMouseMoveToMassTransfer":true
A very good feature.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 02:29:17 AM »

i found i've changed these things so far is a section of the file shown here (with or without default settings, i just copied and pasted it verbatim)
Code
	"playerMaxLevel":60, # w00t!

"startingCommandPoints":5, # didn't change this paragraph at all...don't think i will
"baseSecondsPerCommandPoint":120,

"xpGainMult":2, # i know there's a mod for skill speed, i just figured this'll do the trick for me by doubling the default

"officerSkillIncreasePerLevel":1,
"officerMaxLevel":25, # allows eight max level skills plus a bit of wiggle room (well, that's the theory)

"tier1StationOfficerLevel":0, # ???
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":6,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":12,

"officerMaxHireable":120, # no idea what this does exactly but i assume this is the number seeded throughout the stations?
"officerAIMax":3, # no change, although i matched the last line in this code sequence to this number
"baseNumOfficers":36; # this is so i can hire new recruits to slowly replace older ones with useless trait combinations

"crewSalary":10, # no change yet
"marineSalary":20, # no change yet
"officerSalaryBase":100, # made this ten times a crew salary (with three dozen officer roster it gets onerous)
"officerSalaryPerLevel":50, # made this proportional to base salary compared to default (iirc)

"baseRepairRateFrigate":10, # don't think i'll fool around with this paragraph at all
"baseRepairRateDestroyer":7,
"baseRepairRateCruiser":5,
"baseRepairRateCapital":3,

"suppliesPerMarinePerDay":0; # haven't fiddled with this paragraph yet. salary is good enough for now
"suppliesPerCrewPerDay":0;
"suppliesPerCargoUnitOverCapacity":0.1;
"suppliesPerFuelUnitOverCapacity":0.1;
"suppliesPerPersonnelUnitOverCapacity":0.1;
"supplyConsumptionMothballedMult":0;

"maxShipsInFleet":60, # this way i can have lots of cruisers, destroyers, frigates and civilian ships for various roles
"maxShipsInAIFleet":30, # multiple fleets can gang up on you so this avoids the 'grind' of battle & insane AI reinforcements
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":3, # so seeing an enemy officer is fun not boring spam

what the HECK is "tierstation" mean? i'm hoping i can use this to lower the level of recruits i find at stations...but not sure if it means something completely different. anyone?

btw, i'm really having fun with the 'efficiency' hull mod and having (D) ships in my fleet to keep costs down. i have nearly 60 ships and my daily supply cost runs just under 8...currently i'm enjoying flying around at burn 8 base (i get up to 18 for that afterburner '5' button) without any capital ships...just hauling cargo/fuel around for missions i find at the bars.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:30:22 AM »

The single most important thing to modify is "maxShipsInFleet" value. Getting cheated out of recoverable ships is never good. Besides that, I think I increased the number of economy fleets present at the same time. I used to increase max armour damage reduction to 100%, but since II came out and uses the damage floor as a balancing mechanic, I don't think I should use it anymore.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »

Someone tested it already, but DO NOT set maxAIShipsInFleet past 30.

The reason is if you change it past 30, the AI will start making the fleets you face EASIER to defeat because the AI has more ships to work with, which means it spams more useless frigates and destroyers, and less cruisers / capitals. This is fine at early to mid game but terrible for end game because if you optimize, all your enemies will have 1-2 capitals, maybe 3 at best with a 60 fleet limit, while your running around with 3 capitals, several cruisers, several carriers.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 02:35:13 PM »

phew. dodged that bullet. still anyone know what that tier station thingy is?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:41:16 PM »

phew. dodged that bullet. still anyone know what that tier station thingy is?

Tier station officer?

Thats uhh what tier the officers are when you fight a station.

If you fight a faction station, they will have officers (who will have officer skills) that make them even more dangerous. Thats why fighting a Star Fortress is so difficult. Not only do you fight the star fortress itself, you fight the officer that controls it, who passively boosts the strength of the station.

As you can see, T3 (star fortresses) have high level officers, while T1 and T2 have lower level officers if at all.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »

I have enjoyed
"zeroFluxEngineBoost":200,

Though a more modest 100 or 150 may be more enjoyable.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »

"4kThreshold":3600,

Increasing this to 7200 gives you a lot of different resolutions higher than the default 1920 1080. I generally play on 2560 1600 because it is more square. The wide screen resolutions makes it hard to see things top and bottom.

CthulhuChild

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:03 PM »

Does changing the max battle size inadvertently make the game easier?

I hate not being able to field the full fleet. On the other hand, I'm cooperative with tri-tach and can easily field 3 paragons and 8 astrals if the battle size goes to 2000. Will doing so result in curbstomping AI who can't field a similar force? Is there a way to compensate the AI and make sure they run around with 1000 dp fleets so it's "fair" (but EPIC?)

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »

It will make things more epic. Either harder, or not different in terms of difficulty. Your biggest power multipliers are custom ship builds, and manual ship control. With a larger max battle size, the AI can counter you more with pure numbers. If you lower the battle size, you will hit a point at which your one capital (any single ship is always free to deploy) wins vs literally any AI fleet.

Your fleet being stronger than literally anything the game generates is just a function of balance in Starsector. Unless you limit yourself artificially, you will curb stomp everything at some point in the game -- regardless of any settings.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 01:31:31 AM »

I USE

"shipBuyPriceMult":3
"shipSellPriceMult":1.2,
"hullWithDModsSellPriceMult":0.7,

Other thingsto tweak:
MinBountySpawnDistance, Number of Bounties, bounty costs, relation hits for factions, number of administrators (I set it to 5 as a base) and officers (I set it to 4, so total ends up 12)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 03:19:24 AM »

I hate not being able to field the full fleet. On the other hand, I'm cooperative with tri-tach and can easily field 3 paragons and 8 astrals if the battle size goes to 2000. Will doing so result in curbstomping AI who can't field a similar force? Is there a way to compensate the AI and make sure they run around with 1000 dp fleets so it's "fair" (but EPIC?)
Depends. If your fleet is smaller than what you can deploy otherwise, and the opponent is much more than 50% bigger than you, then it will make it harder. If it allows you to deploy more, even if the opposing fleet is bigger, it is always easier for you in general. In the stage of the game when it matters, playing with a larger battlesize is nearly always a massive buff to the player.
Pages: [1] 2