Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storm Riding  (Read 2872 times)

Brightness

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Storm Riding
« on: September 25, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »

I'd like to see a new, fairly advanced skill called, yes, "Storm Riding" that reduces how much the hyperspace storms push your fleet off course, and maybe makes them a bit more fuel efficient, but doesn't speed your fleet up any more than what it already gets.

Paired with this could be a hullmod that reduces the damage/fuel drain further.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Riding
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »

There is kind of one already.  Safety Procedures 3.  With it, E-Burn is cheaper to use.  Use E-Burn to keep perfect control of your fleet while riding storms.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »

Quick question on Safety Procedures II. does the bonus
  - take 50% CR damage from coronas and other things
also work against hyperspace storms? The Solar Shielding upgrade blocks both coronas and hyperspace storms, so I figure SP2 might be the same.

Does anyone else notice that some ships get whacked over and over again by hyperspace storms? Is there some hidden modifier that determines who gets hit? It might be cool to build a "lightning rod" ship with solar shielding to absorb most of the punishment, and make storm surfing even more fun.

Brightness

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »

also work against hyperspace storms? The Solar Shielding upgrade blocks both coronas and hyperspace storms, so I figure SP2 might be the same.

Does anyone else notice that some ships get whacked over and over again by hyperspace storms? Is there some hidden modifier that determines who gets hit? It might be cool to build a "lightning rod" ship with solar shielding to absorb most of the punishment, and make storm surfing even more fun.
I like the lightning rod ship idea too! A skill, a hullmod, and a whole ship as part of a suite of potential hyperspace travel upgrades.
I also wonder if there isn't some way to build into/manipulate hyperspace somehow, like making lanes or walls, or tapping the storms etc...

SlaveToArmok

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 04:39:46 AM »

I think there's a tip or some bit of text somewhere that says some captians use the storms to save fuel, but I think atm when you get the boost from a storm your fuel consumption also shoots up. It'd be nice to be able to use the storms to save on fuel with the obvious drawback of it costing supplies.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 04:49:52 AM »

You save fuel as max fuel drain fixed at speed 20 and storm can boost you to 30.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:19:19 AM »

I'm pretty sure you don't since fuel drain is per distance, not per time or per speed. What storm riding lets you do is trade supplies for time - fuel drain stays identical. And it has to because if fuel drain was variable the fuel range indicator wouldn't be accurate. It's 100% critical to gameplay that the fuel range indicator is accurate.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »

And it has to because if fuel drain was variable the fuel range indicator wouldn't be accurate. It's 100% critical to gameplay that the fuel range indicator is accurate.
It's most definitely not accurate.
Storm riding can save you enough fuel (or the indicator is inaccurate enough) that when I should have ran out of fuel half-way between systems according to the indicator, I actually made it back with 8 whole fuel left.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »

also work against hyperspace storms?

Yes

Noviastar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:35:27 AM »

Solar shielding should reduce energy weapon damage buy like 15-25%  How often do you find yourself near a sun?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 06:47:16 AM »

Solar shielding should reduce energy weapon damage buy like 15-25%  How often do you find yourself near a sun?
Counterpoint: How often do you find yourself flying through a hyperspace storm?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 10:14:24 AM »

What do you mean? They do that already. Solar shielding reduces energy damage by 20% in combat.