Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Possibility for real time squad management and player convoy AI  (Read 1188 times)

Shekelstien_bandit

• Ensign
  • Gordo, amos.
    • View Profile
Possibility for real time squad management and player convoy AI
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »

Im new so sorry if im missing something, but i think if the game in a later update introduced multiple fleet squadron's so you can, lets say, split a 30 ship fleet into 2 15 shipped fleets, or multiple 5 shipped fleets, and send them to different reaches of the map. This idea comes from kenshi's RT squads and blah blah, but i think itll work very well in this game. Maybe there is a mod for it, if there someone drop it in the comments if its convenient for you(Dont go out of your way). Great game though. and once again, im very very new, so maybe I missed that there are these mechanics. Cudo's to fractal softworks, wonderful game here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility for real time squad management and player convoy AI
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »

I'm curious, do you mean multiple fleets you could take control of, or something else? I'm not sure how that sort of thing might work; not familiar with Kenshi's implementation of what you're talking about.

Shekelstien_bandit

• Ensign
  • Gordo, amos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »

In kenshi, if you have 25 units in your squad, you can assign them to separate squads and make each individual in that squad assigned to a individual task(ie operating a node of some sort or running to a town to trade, all AI in kenshi can do their own thing in real time), and keep them separate from your other squads (you can jump between each unit of the squad in game, even if they are on separate parts of the in-game world). But now that i think about it im 80% confident thats why the game jumps from 4gb of ram to 16gb in a moments notice. Sorry if i explain this in a confusing way btw. What im thinking, as my suggestion, is you can have a separate fleet of ships from the one you control, and use that as a trading/patrol convoy, so if you want to do trading while away from this fleet you can assign them to tasks and move locations in real time while away. Of course im not talking about the ability to switch over to that fleet on a moments notice since the hardware impacts might not be favorable for non future proofed PC's, but it would be handy to have a fleet of ships make their way to one colony to another factions colony to sell resources or to depo them at another colony. Hope I explained this well.

Shekelstien_bandit

• Ensign
  • Gordo, amos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »

Oh and also a way to categorize ships in the fleet. IE: I can put all of my Tankers in a sub order to view which ones id like to deploy in combat along with looking at the sub order of what I deemed an interceptor or an attack ship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »

Thank you for explaining, that made sense.

... this actually gives me an idea, but I can't talk about it because spoilers :)

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

This is something I would second.

I actually discovered Star Sector through a reference in the Kenshi forums calling it Kenshi in space. I also saw it referred to as Mount and Blade in space. Both of those are very favourable comparisons and I would suggest checking them out if you're not familiar with them.

Kenshi is a squad management game, where you can have one or multiple squads doing things. In Kenshi industry is done by your characters, you have them mine the ore, refine the ore, make weapons and armor with the ore. One thing you can do is have one squad at your base being industrious while another squad is out doing the fun stuff of trading, exploring and beating up baddies.

This feature would be very nice in Star Sector to help address the issue of having to choose between babysitting colonies while they build up defenses or having to rush back to defend them from attacks the defenses might not handle instead of doing the fun stuff of missions, trading, exploring, etc.

Or to use an approach from Mount and Blade where you have lords that lead their own armies, that you can give specific soldiers to and orders to such as patrol x or raid x. A Star Sector equivalent might be something like being able to give an officer command of one of your system fleets, tell them to defend the system while you're gone, and here, take these two Paragons I just built with your fleet to keep the pirates out.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:42:02 AM by Pokpaul »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »

I wanted Alex to do something like this, or some other strategic control sort of thing, more than once, then this guy comes and does it instantly. Dammit.
Nice round 15000 posts, Alex.

Shekelstien_bandit

• Ensign
  • Gordo, amos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »

Thank you for explaining, that made sense.

... this actually gives me an idea, but I can't talk about it because spoilers :)

haha, cant wait to for you to lay it out. Thank you for your time!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »

This feature would be very nice in Star Sector to help address the issue of having to choose between babysitting colonies while they build up defenses or having to rush back to defend them from attacks the defenses might not handle instead of doing the fun stuff of missions, trading, exploring, etc.

Yeah, hmm :-X

(Don't want to overpromise anything here; just a half-baked idea in my head at this point as far as any details. There are many potential issues.)

Nice round 15000 posts, Alex.

Ahh, didn't even notice! Shame to ruin it :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 01:09:18 AM »

Fleet splitting is a must for both AI and player, imagine all the overly-convoluted plans that it could enable!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex