Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-  (Read 11903 times)

Rusty-Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-
« on: September 24, 2019, 02:47:56 AM »

Hi,
I reworked "Another Portrait Pack" mod to be more Sci-fi and less manga fantasy ....

I did it for my own immersion in the game.

If you want to test it :
https://mega.nz/#!OlETjS4Z!zIcTzAJxht2pp7vNPDPzOCDRu9khr6_iZmOw2oSm02U

Description: 129 original/new portaits ...
                  186 portraits Total in the pack ....
                  The faction has their unique portrait pool...
                  Some unique portrait by faction ...
Spoiler
[close]
                  The remaining portrait of the mod "Another Portrait Pack" reworked ...

>> Have fun <<

THX: Thanks to Atreg for his excellent mod "Another Portrait Pack"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:33:37 AM by Rusty-Head »

flyingllama

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »

This is great, thanks. I have something very similar also making atreg's (and some of Helmut's) portraits more similar to the vanilla ones, and also reallocating the default portraits so that they are more suited to factions so that you have fewer of the same faces repeating all the time across factions. It's just for personal use but I might post it here when I'm happy with it.

nb8

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »

I installed it, I liked it more than the original. I did not meet any errors.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:20:56 AM »

These look really good and I liked the original as well.  ;D

Mind if I credit you and Atreg and merge these into my TC? I'm sure those who play it would appreciate this kind of portrait variety and there would currently be conflicts since mine also adds portraits.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »

These look really good and I liked the original as well.  ;D

Mind if I credit you and Atreg and merge these into my TC? I'm sure those who play it would appreciate this kind of portrait variety and there would currently be conflicts since mine also adds portraits.
What conflicts does it cause?
I'm running two packs and not seeing any.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »

^ It was an assumption- since I also add portraits with various numbered ids and I would assume that ids of the same name defined in faction files would conflict if both faction files defining the same id were to exist in separate mod directories and were attempting to merge at the JSON level. I did not confirm, however. It may be that they override one another with some kind of order logic as well and so you wouldn't notice conflicts because one would take precedence in order to prevent outright crashes. I could have also stamped the names of my ids with faction mod-specific tags as a fail-safe off the top of my head.

In any case, however, it would be impossible, be hard, slow already limited dev time considerably to both apply the same feature of adding custom faction portraits- reliably- into a TC and also rely on other technical users to be able to use additional portrait packs without either overrides removing content unintentionally or conflicts causing complete crashes and therefore bug reports- since both cases are undesirable to me.

Also important: I would want to handpick portraits into TC mod factions as a theme-based selection process rather than rely on stock selection since that wouldn't be taking mod-factions into account. I think I can do this using a mod-faction stamp in the id and still allow the mod to be selected (assuming it is marked as a utility mod and not a TC-incompatible mod) but since I wouldn't want to bother the mod author with adding the TC-specific factions with selected portraits into their faction file merges, then I would handle the work myself and give credit for the original art.

So I am asking to be able to easily ensure reliable immersion through the addition of the packs (with credit) without inadvertently causing inconsistent results or conflicts for non-technical users. However, I can also accommodate faction specific additions based on the pack in the TC-stock download if the mod is TC-friendly (haven't checked yet, this was on impulse upon seeing the awesome portraits), then recommend the pack through the mod page as a recommendation for player-specific portrait expansion. It is up to author preference, but those were the motivations behind the request.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »

^ It was an assumption- since I also add portraits with various numbered ids and I would assume that ids of the same name defined in faction files would conflict if both faction files defining the same id were to exist in separate mod directories and were attempting to merge at the JSON level. I did not confirm, however. It may be that they override one another with some kind of order logic as well and so you wouldn't notice conflicts because one would take precedence in order to prevent outright crashes. I could have also stamped the names of my ids with faction mod-specific tags as a fail-safe off the top of my head.
Ah right! Yeah, any with the same ID would overwrite, and yeah, adding a unique pre/mid/suffix would be enough to stop that.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

Ah right! Yeah, any with the same ID would overwrite, and yeah, adding a unique pre/mid/suffix would be enough to stop that.

Ok great! I will then make sure that the portraits I include have a unique stamp to make sure overrides don't happen. That solves problem number one and allows TC-friendly portrait packs as utility mods. Always a plus.

Regarding TC faction specific selection, I still want to ask permission in regards to adding these portraits to TC-specific factions. The only way I can do that is to include the portrait in the stock TC download and add the JSON portion in my mod-specific faction files.

Rusty-Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 01:04:34 AM »

Hi,
For my part you can incorporate this portrait pack into other mod.
But I did it basically for me, without Atreg's explicit permission, and I can not speak for him ...
(PS: I reworked this mod, not for have more portraits than original, but to have a better immersion in the game. ^^)

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »

Hi,
For my part you can incorporate this portrait pack into other mod.
But I did it basically for me, without Atreg's explicit permission, and I can not speak for him ...
(PS: I reworked this mod, not for have more portraits than original, but to have a better immersion in the game. ^^)

Ok thanks! I'll send him a message too.

Reens

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »

Love these a lot more than the original! We need more scifi portraits that fit the game's aesthetic.

I would suggest changing the prefix from app_ to something else though so your wont conflict with the original.

M07

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »

Hi

is there a way to add them instead of replacing the others?

proudstorm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM »

The portraits are made by you or are taken from somewhere else and edited? They look very good and i'm curious about origins.

Rusty-Head

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »

Hi,
I created 129 portraits with gimp. ^^
The other 57 portraits, I'm just reworking them.
Thank you for your message :)

proudstorm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 07:10:00 AM »

If you still continue on these. i look forward to see new ones. I love those selections so far.
Pages: [1] 2