Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Take a rep hit for too much cargo!  (Read 1922 times)

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Take a rep hit for too much cargo!
« on: September 21, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »

*** seriously? No contraband, no ai cores, nothing at all illegal, but I just have too much cargo in general therefore illegal.

Alex is too heavy handed in trying to force his desired style of gameplay.

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Take a rep hit for too much cargo!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »

Just because a good isn't illegal doesn't mean that it wasn't acquired through illegal means.  They know there was a massive amount of activity on the black market and have now caught you with a massive amount of goods shortly thereafter.   They can't prove that they were purchased illegally but they still know that you did it and so it hurts your reputation. 

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »

There would be pretty much zero consequences for blatant use of black market if being caught with massive amount of goods purchased illegally did nothing.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »

yeah i just bought a cruiser on the black market and got that inspection, i think the larger volume of trade you done on the black market compare to the open the more heavier the penalty are, but what can you do some time it was one of those special hegemony cruiser if even i don't plan to have it in my fleet i still have to take it for collection values.

KingNoodle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »

They should at least be able to tell if the items came from a black market or not.

KingNoodle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »

They should at least be able to tell if the items came from a black market or not.
How?

Do you mean mechanically or in terms of fluff?

The thing with legitimate trades is that you have proof of purchase. Not so much with black market stuff. So even if the cops pull you over with a truckload of brand new DVD players, as long as you have a receipt for the purchase there isn't much they can do about it.

Being pulled over with a truck full of brand new DVD's without a receipt and your reputation with those cops will suffer. especially if they then ask you to get out of the truck and you give them the finger and drive screeching off into the night.

In terms of applying this as a mechanic to the game? Add a signifier in the tooltip that x/x goods are from the black market or something?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »

Being pulled over with a truck full of brand new DVD's without a receipt
Presumption of guilt works great in a dystopian future, but it's probably not too fun in terms of gameplay. Simply getting scanned is dangerous enough because a player is likely going to have some kind of illegal goods (such as AI cores) if they plan on making money.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »

The thing with legitimate trades is that you have proof of purchase. Not so much with black market stuff. So even if the cops pull you over with a truckload of brand new DVD players, as long as you have a receipt for the purchase there isn't much they can do about it.

Being pulled over with a truck full of brand new DVD's without a receipt and your reputation with those cops will suffer. especially if they then ask you to get out of the truck and you give them the finger and drive screeching off into the night.
"Don't worry officer, these were already onboard, I'm collecting a big haul for [planet name here]."

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »

In the past you would simply get a massive reputation hit for trading on the black market. It is now much reduced. At least this way you have a good chance to avoid getting the rep hit, especially if what you brought were ships or fuel or you was selling. I am curious though, what do you think "his desired style of gameplay" that is being forced is?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:14:55 PM by Plantissue »

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »

If anything the penalties for black market trade are pretty toothless. I never even consider the non-black markets, other than to check them for mods and weapons I want in the early game, or to buy out their fuel and supplies once my fleet has become a space locust swarm of capital ships devouring the supplies and fuel of every system I pass through. The worst thing that happens is a few points of rep here and there; easily made up by doing a few bounties or exploration missions here and there. I've been caught with suspicious amounts of cargo tons, and somehow I also always pass scans even with a dozen AI cores in my holds too. I generally don't ferry other contraband around for too long before selling or storing it.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 03:17:52 AM »

Do scans remove AI cores anymore? I've noticed that they don't anymore, but I cannot find the version where it was changed.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 05:18:40 AM »

Do scans remove AI cores anymore? I've noticed that they don't anymore, but I cannot find the version where it was changed.

Scans can detect AI cores, If so you will need to have a shielded cargo holds to mostly not get that AI core sniped from you, and them theres still the chance that you get sniped, just realy hard tô happen

KingNoodle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 06:08:26 AM »

Being pulled over with a truck full of brand new DVD's without a receipt
Presumption of guilt works great in a dystopian future, but it's probably not too fun in terms of gameplay. Simply getting scanned is dangerous enough because a player is likely going to have some kind of illegal goods (such as AI cores) if they plan on making money.

I don't know, I think it would add a purpose to the ludicrous taxes on the open market; You are forced to pay a premium for things but at least you don't have to worry about getting caught with shady goods in your stores. If you are flying around with illegal stuff then you should by all rights fear the prospect of being stopped and searched by the law. I do not think it would detract from gameplay, but rather to it.

Of course such a system would have to coincide with a minor overhaul of the trade system in general such as adding ways to procure trade permits with factions you have a good standing with to lower tariffs and thus make honest merchant builds viable as well as ensuring that mid to late game fleets can procure supplies legally without bankrupting itself in the process.

I know that the game is inevitably going to be all about the combat, but there is still plenty of scope to improve the economic aspects of the game.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »

I've been caught without any shielded holds and with tons of cores and never once had them removed, since 9.1.

Generally I'd love to see something more serious for being caught trading on the black market, like a credit fine equivalent to the tariffs you didn't pay on your last visit, or something like that. Some kind of risk to go with the massive 30% reward of black market trades.