Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: am i playing the wrong way ?  (Read 2206 times)

chefblicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
am i playing the wrong way ?
« on: September 19, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »

A lot of people say that the whole point of the game is the combat , the only problem is i absolutely suck at combat in most games, for example fallout.The main thing i do in most games is i try to avoid combat either by directly avoiding it or by talking my way out, the main thing i like in this game is the smuggling the fact that you have to always check where to buy and sell check on your fleet and check how much fuel you have left and at some point even manage your own colony. but after reading several threads i feel like i might not play correctly. is combat really the only thing you should be working towards in this game ?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: am i playing the wrong way ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »

Point one: If you're having fun, then you're not playing the wrong way.

Point two: Most systems in the game are designed to lead back into combat in some way - for example, once you found your own colonies, you start having to protect them from pirate and "deniable" spec-ops attacks.  It's possible to set up colony defenses that can handle most of that for you, but not all.

Point three: You can approach combat from a fleet commander perspective, letting the AI run your ships and just giving them orders as needed.  The game is not designed to be played that way, so it will make some fights harder than they're meant to be - but note that that's "harder", not "impossible".
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

chefblicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »

Point one: If you're having fun, then you're not playing the wrong way.

Point two: Most systems in the game are designed to lead back into combat in some way - for example, once you found your own colonies, you start having to protect them from pirate and "deniable" spec-ops attacks.  It's possible to set up colony defenses that can handle most of that for you, but not all.

Point three: You can approach combat from a fleet commander perspective, letting the AI run your ships and just giving them orders as needed.  The game is not designed to be played that way, so it will make some fights harder than they're meant to be - but note that that's "harder", not "impossible".
alright thank you then i will continue enjoying this amazing gmae  :)

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »

If you are bad at combat you can also play role of the fleet commander and command your ships by giving them orders.
Command and Control skill is very useful for that as a Operational Command mod that you can mount on the ships.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »

You can play however you like. However, most people try and do all things. It's not that the point of the game is combat, it's that combat is the most unique and interesting and deepest experience in the game, and as such should be tried, though smuggling comes second.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »

People talk about combat the most, since it's the most complex, hardest and for most also the most fun part of the game. If you're bad at it or you don't enjoy it, you can still play the game in some other way, but be aware that the game will still funnel you towards combat. If you have fun in this case, that's alright, though you won't enjoy it as much, as you could, if you enjoyed the combat.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »

As others have said, lots of people just like combat, and for some reason some superhuman individuals who post online seem to be able to fly ships around. I am a player who is truly awful at flying ships and I exclusively use autopilot (press U during battle), but I like the game a lot (including combat). I'd suggest treating combat like a puzzle where most of the work is done in experimenting with which ships and loadouts are most effective (in the autopilot's hands), which fleet compositions you can beat and which to emergency burn away from, and how to use the tactical command screen to help keep your AI ships from getting themselves killed by failing to focus fire, etc. It takes a while to get good at intuiting which fights to take and which ships to deploy in battle, but you can always save and reload if fights go poorly.

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 11:28:15 PM »

This is how the game is described on the official website -
Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) is an in-development open-world single-player space-combat, roleplaying, exploration, and economic game. You take the role of a space captain seeking fortune and glory however you choose.

Roleplaying, exploration and economy are all highlighted along with combat. So no, you are not playing in the wrong way. The whole point of the game is freedom to do what you enjoy. Live the life of a space captain / admiral.

The problem is due to ongoing balancing some of the other paths are usually not as rewarding or enjoyable as combat. So long term fans of this game tend to downplay that flaw by claiming combat is the whole point of this game. Don't be discouraged by them. Think of it as a sign of the high quality of the game that it inspires such blind devotion. It happens with every popular game's community.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »

You may want to read the blog a bit for insight into the game design thinking that Alex uses. He's pretty explicit that the various systems of the game are all designed to lead towards combat in one way or another. Its not really blind devotion when its been spelled out.

Thwomp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »

Combat is great but I am almost never directly involved - all ships on autopilot.  I prefer to sit back, issue orders, and watch the light show.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »

Yeah it's all about the combat.

Even if I never manually pilot, it really is.

But never the less I enjoy it for what the game is, a fleet battling game.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »

The dev has explicitly stated that the game is designed to always lead towards combat, so its not people just saying things. Autopilot is a viable option though, and you can pause as often as you want. I would encourage the OP to try combat, there are many different ways to approach combat that don't require you to be particularly skilled, just knowledgable.