Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Frag damage vs ships with stripped armor behaves strangely  (Read 3253 times)

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Frag damage vs ships with stripped armor behaves strangely
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 01:49:49 PM »

Interesting, what about beam damage then, how are the reductions calculated for continuous damage? Is it a reduction of the actual dps/damage-per-frame based on the displayed weapon damage value and the armor value of targeted area in each frame where the damage is applied?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »

Interesting, what about beam damage then, how are the reductions calculated for continuous damage? Is it a reduction of the actual dps/damage-per-frame based on the displayed weapon damage value and the armor value of targeted area in each frame where the damage is applied?
They use a half of their sustained DPS, but deal damage at tenth of a second intervals.
For High Intensity Laser, it would be (500*2/10)*(500*2/2)/(500*2/2+<armour>)=100*500/(500+<armour>), every 1/10th of a second.

That's the one that says "20% less damage taken by armor" or something similar, right? New skills in the dev build so it's not trivial to check.

That one actually double-dips - it reduces the damage taken amount, but also the strength of the hit, meaning the armor mitigates that reduced damage more.
Nasty! But, on the other hand, very befitting a level 3 skill. I have to make a zombie Onslaught loadout now.

I didn't even think of that. Does kinetic weapon really do less hull damage through the final 5% armour than a high explosive weapon with similar damage value does?
I think it was already stated that damage is reduced according to their damage type-modified armour damage reduction. With Advanced Countermeasures 1 or 2 (I don't remember) you actually make kinetic weapons deal 50% less damage to armour, so they probably are equal in that case.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »

I think it was already stated that damage is reduced according to their damage type-modified armour damage reduction. With Advanced Countermeasures 1 or 2 (I don't remember) you actually make kinetic weapons deal 50% less damage to armour, so they probably are equal in that case.
Doesn't that affect only the final damage done to armor after other reduction calculations with no impact on hull damage?

Snowblind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 03:05:03 AM »

Just for reference, I whipped this up in excel. Hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

There are a few interesting things to note.

Pretty much every weapon loses a significant chunk of max damage from hull armor except in the most extre

HE weapons suffer a little from the 5% armor, but none are severely crippled by it. Even in extreme cases, such as a Light Assault Gun against an XIV Onslaught with armored turret mounts and heavy armor, each hit only loses about 60% of it's punch. Once you get to Assault Chainguns or above, hull armor only shaves off a little of the incoming damage.

Energy weapons suffer a little more, but owing to their fairly high damage per shot, they are in roughly the same boat as HE weapons.

High ROF kinetics, on the other hand, are absolutely wrecked by a decent amount of hull armor.  Even 5% of destroyer level armor is enough to chop off half of a needler's damage. Even Heavy Auto Cannons lose a lot of their punch against capital grade armor. It gets a lot better when you start using "sniper" type kinetics, however - HVDs and Gauss are somewhat impacted by hull armor, but will never be totally crippled by it (except, perhaps, when stacking several armor boosting skills).

Vulcans only deal marginal damage to destroyer grade armor or above, no matter how much armor stripping you apply beforehand. Look, they are bad at killing things that aren't damaged frigates or missiles, OK? Even their ridiculous raw DPS doesn't save them. As an aside, they start doing minimum damage at less armor damage than most fighters have, meaning that something like a warthog can sit point blank in front of a Vulcan for several seconds before dying (and in reality, most rounds fired by Vulcans miss).

The Thumper's damage suffers quite a bit, but unlike Vulcans, their damage per shot plus their ridiculously high raw DPS and flux efficiency means that anything that isn't rocking capital grade armor will still get torn to shreds quicker than most other kinetic or HE weapons in the same slot.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 [2]