Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are there any mods that add ridiculously huge ships?  (Read 7059 times)

Besharia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any mods that add ridiculously huge ships?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »

I mean, the Cathedral basically -is- a mobile space station, at least lore-wise.  Can't sell stuff to it, though.

You can't have someting that's mobile aka that can move and someting stationary and, on space that means predicteble orbit, at the same time so it's either a really big ship or it's a station

You don't watch or read alot of sci-fi, eh?

Warhammer 40K has the Ramilles Star Fort which is capable of moving through space lore wise it's been used as a very heavy orbital battlestation but has also been used as a mobile command center.

40K also has space hulks which are amalgamations of various vessels which have been trapped in the Warp basically a graveyard for ships that have fused together over time. However factions like the Orks and Tyranids love to make bases out of them and there was a few instances where Orks and Chaos have attached engines to the damn things and used them as mobile battle barges. Space hulks can be huge and it's not uncommon for them to be station size.

The Death Star was a mobile space station with an attached superweapon. We know the Death Star could move because they moved it into position to destroy Alderaan and the second Death Star was deployed to destroy the rebel base on Endor which culminated in a massive battle that destroyed the station.

Halo has High Charity, which was capable of moving I know this because the Flood took control of it and deployed it in the Battle of Installation 00 which took place outside the Milky Way galaxy.

And I'm pretty sure there are a few other examples I'm forgetting. Didn't Star Trek have a mobile space station one of the ancient empires built? Mobile space stations can be whatever the writer wants it to be. Also there is nothing in Physics that says a station has to orbit another body it's simply the most practical way of setting up a station. You could setup a station far from a gravity well it would just be a *** and a half to supply and keep track of. But it can physically be done. Also the concept of a space station is already a very fluid concept in sci-fi.
Pages: 1 [2]