Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting targeted for market expansions  (Read 2046 times)

Shaamaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Getting targeted for market expansions
« on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:51 AM »

Hmm... seems I ruffled a few feathers, since the various factions are sending convoys as they don't like my market shares...

Now, I used to have to pay 100k to bribe 'em, but now, it seems, they demand 200k. That's quite the price hike, unfortunately, and if this keeps up, I won't be able to pay. Additionally the forces (at least according to the description) are bigger than what the colonies can handle (both space and ground forces).

I'm... not sure what to do, really. I mean, I build the industries that best suited the world they were on, and clearly that's very good (I dread what will happen if I find a non-corrupted forge...). Do I shut down these industries or would upgraded defenses be enough to keep the problem at bay?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Getting targeted for market expansions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:42:51 AM »

Fully upgraded defences can stop nearly everything, especially multiple in a system, although you might struggle with the interim.
If you're lucky warring factions will encounter each other's expeditions before reaching you.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »

Shutting down the industries is usually more expensive in the long run. You can also use your own fleet to kill the invasion force

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »

I like to smash the expedition forces with the support of the space station. Those things are really powerful.
But even then, the original issue persists. I wish there was a way for the player to limit colonies from making too much and attracting expeditions. Luddic Church and Hegemony already have a toggle (free port), I wouldn't mind one for other factions.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »

The simple truth is that your colonies will be targeted.  Period.  The more successful you are, the more factions will feel threatened by you.  Doesn't matter how friendly or how far away; they WILL send whatever they've got all the way across the sector to wreck your s*$&.  I'm paying 400,000 to bribe off the odd "expedition" with my size 7 colonies currently and that's only because I want to remain on friendly terms while I explore the rest of the sector.  The trick is to remember a simple truth: the AI is not your friend.  Doesn't matter if you have 100 reputation with literally everyone; they WILL come for your colonies.  It's like a game of monopoly: no matter who you make deals with and no matter how the AI pretends to be "at war" with itself, the cold hard truth is that it's still them against you.  Build defenses, build patrol HQ's and stations and if you happen to find a system with more than one desirable planet, double up on the patrols.  I found an incredible system with a terran eccentric world--with ANOTHER terran eccentric world orbiting it!  Two class V planets, not only in the same system but practically colliding with each other?  When you find a system like that, you don't ask questions; you TAKE IT.  There was also a barren world that made a convenient third colony.  I fortified the hell out of all three and now NO ONE succeeds on a raid.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »

Build high command and star forts on every world you colonize. Make sure to have appropriate blueprints and at least one orbital works with pristine nano

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »

The trick is to remember a simple truth: the AI is not your friend.  Doesn't matter if you have 100 reputation with literally everyone; they WILL come for your colonies.  It's like a game of monopoly: no matter who you make deals with and no matter how the AI pretends to be "at war" with itself, the cold hard truth is that it's still them against you.
Not quite true; the Pirates are friends for life if you put in the effort.
They might cause a little disruption attacking the other factions trying to trade with you, but said other factions are eventually going to be hostile to you anyway, removing that problem.

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »

Bribes seem to top out at 1 million credits so it does get expensive but by that point I was making ~1.8 million per month off of my colonies so I could easily afford to just bribe all the expeditions.  As others have said, a Star Fortress with a High Command is enough to fight off almost anything, but you will get to the point where you can afford the highest tier bribes if you want to avoid the reputation penalty for destroying their expeditions.  It can take a little while but money does eventually become irrelevant in the late game.   

Shaamaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 04:28:50 AM »

The trick is to remember a simple truth: the AI is not your friend.  Doesn't matter if you have 100 reputation with literally everyone; they WILL come for your colonies.  It's like a game of monopoly: no matter who you make deals with and no matter how the AI pretends to be "at war" with itself, the cold hard truth is that it's still them against you.
Not quite true; the Pirates are friends for life if you put in the effort.
They might cause a little disruption attacking the other factions trying to trade with you, but said other factions are eventually going to be hostile to you anyway, removing that problem.
Don't you need a mod to befriend pirates? Or is that a lot of wiggling around (to avoid fights) and a lot of procurement missions for them before you even set up your first colony?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 05:32:50 AM »

Don't you need a mod to befriend pirates? Or is that a lot of wiggling around (to avoid fights) and a lot of procurement missions for them before you even set up your first colony?
Nah, just a lot of survey and scan missions. 4 of them and they won't attack you any more. 15 of them and you can trade with them.
The hard part is not destroying their stuff during the first four, so you'll want something like hounds that can just run away.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »

I was also under the impression that pirate reputation was locked to hostile in the vanilla game, but I could be wrong. I definitely remember that being discussed by the dev at some point.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »

I was also under the impression that pirate reputation was locked to hostile in the vanilla game, but I could be wrong. I definitely remember that being discussed by the dev at some point.
Nooope, even has unique attitude dialogue and everything.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »

Can you gift AI cores to make the pirates friendly?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »

Can you gift AI cores to make the pirates friendly?

No, which is what makes Pirates the best designed faction in my view.

You really have to work to become their friends. They start hostile, they don't accept ""bribes"" (AI cores), and they are hated by everyone so its so easy to slip and take a bounty against them for easy cash. But if you work at it, do survey and procurement missions for them (which, especially procurement missions, pay VERY well as they tend to go 2x over the 2x payments of other factions), sell blueprints on the black market, and voila. The pirates are now even stronger than every major faction combined, they don't send expeditions to disrupt your ***, and act as extra patrols in your area.

I like them a lot better honestly, and as one of the few factions in the game that hide themselves, if they get stronger they are a lot more annoying than the major factions. The major factions always have their transponders on, but LP and Pirates don't. I can deal with LP later game but pirates are insanely powerful late game if you let them grow, so having them as friends is a huge bonus.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 12:19:54 PM »

I guess combat is my favorite part of the game, so not doing bounties seems like ruining the fun to me, but I might start a new campaign and give it a go.
Pages: [1] 2